The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
35 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 > »    Reply to this topic

My experience "trying" to move to Sweden

Please god, just end me now

VeganVulcan
post 28.Jun.2018, 09:38 PM
Post #211

Thought I would add another data point to this thread by sharing my experience immigrating to Sweden.

I am an EU (German) passport holder that moved to Sweden from the United States earlier this month. I already had a job offer in hand.

Arrived in Stockholm on Friday, 08 June 2018. Applied for my personnummer at the Skatteverket in Kungsholmen on Monday, 11 June 2018. (documents provided - passport, copy of employment contract and completed application form )
Received personnummer on Wednesday, 13 June 2018.

Maybe I just got lucky, but from my experience the system worked quite well.

Cheers!
Go to the top of the page
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 29.Jun.2018, 12:37 AM
Post #212

It is a shame that we do not have more posts like this, but again people that are happy with their experience in Sweden rarely tell us...Only the unhappy ones use this forum...
+
Cheeseroller
post 29.Jun.2018, 04:25 AM
Post #213

The difference of course is that VeganVulcan moved for a job, while many move first for love and then hope for a job. Also VV has just arrived. The rose tinted glasses are firmly in place. We look forward to hearing VV's comments in 2 to 3 years.
+
Gonda
post 29.Jun.2018, 10:27 AM
Post #214

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 24.Nov.2017, 05:20 AM) *
"it's just that people don't tend to post about everything going smoothly.". TheLocal rarely gets posts from people, happy with their lot in Sweden...

I have lived here since 2005. Sure thing that Sweden has problems (not then, but now), no idea how they will fix them. Problems with Skatteverket, long waiting times before you get your "personnummer" and without it you can not do anything (Dutch friends of mine who are trying to get their stuff in order)! Health Care is a total farce, also here you have waiting time to get anywhere in the system and the care they give you is basic at best! Trying to get special dentist care is a no brainer! The general dentist care has waiting lists as long as Stockholm to Lapland! Always you hear them telling you that care is not given in summer because of holidays and shortage of workers and that is it, you can not beat the system! Here where I live I asked for a "remise" to a dentist in a hospital because I am having huge problems with sedation, I can not have local sedation as it does not work for longer than 1 minute! So I need special care and I am told, while I am in pain and my teeth are dancing in my jaws, to wait. This referral was sent in March this year and I was told ONLY AFTER I called THEM (!) that I will have to wait till at least September this year!!! Never experienced this anywhere else in the countries I have lived in...And I could go on with experiences I had trying to get help with lets say "konsumentverket", also a farce, because a person who lives in a "kommun" that is poor, will have no rights and has to go to a lawyer to get help with conflicts/problems. "Konsumentverket" is available only for the cities that can pay for a worker to handle conflicts, if a small city or village has a low budget, your consumer rights are down the drain and non existing! So yeah, living in Sweden is at times rather hard. But hey...there is no place/country in the world where everything is perfect!?

I have lived here for 13 years now and I thrive here smile.gif I have left Holland behind and don't even go there to visit! I have a lovely small house with a big enough garden around it where I live with my partner, we have great neighbours and a lovely village and are completely accepted here. We hardly socialize with the locals though, we are kind, willing to help if needed and so are they, but here the situation is ...family first, then family and after that family and maybe after that friendships.

Holland might be up there with the great health care they have, but if you are on a low income, health care is a huge problem. Living there among 17 million others is terrible, housing will cost you a life time of heavy payments etc etc. What I am saying here is that problems are everywhere in all countries. And if you don't like it, just move out! smile.gif
+
Bsmith
post 29.Jun.2018, 11:19 AM
Post #215

I am glad to hear that you are thriving in Sweden, Gonda. Like you said, every place has its problems...and its joys. Each person must work out their own solution.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 29.Jun.2018, 01:00 PM
Post #216

Amen...
+
whizzo
post 4.Jul.2018, 07:08 PM
Post #217

It took me about two months to get an ID card, mostly waiting on paperwork. And then another fortnight to get the all-important BankID.

It's one of those frustrating things that's easy, but only if you know exactly how to do it first.

We found the folks at the immigration / Skatteverket to be helpful and knowledgeable but it's a tricky process. Don't be afraid to ask them to spell out the process in painstaking detail, and take notes!
+
Annbags
post 5.Jul.2018, 06:30 PM
Post #218

I had the same experience as 'smokerT' and if somebody asked for my advice on how to get a personal number, ID card I wouldn't be able to tell them. I went to Skatteverket, they sent me to migrations office who sent me back to skatteverket who sent me back... blah, blah. In the end, after a couple of years, I gave up for a while, it was the skatteverket in Uppsala who got things done quickly and efficiently. I have no other countries to compare it with but I suppose it's a tricky area.
I have to say, I love Sweden more and more. I appreciate its beauty and peace and I've got used to letters from various authorities demanding a reply within a ridiculously short amount of time. The fines I've had to pay because I was out of the country. I feel extremely lucky to have got out of UK before Brexit and 'thank you Sweden for letting me stay.'
+
Wanderlust007
post 15.Jul.2018, 05:45 PM
Post #219

QUOTE (Annbags @ 5.Jul.2018, 06:30 PM) *
I had the same experience as 'smokerT' and if somebody asked for my advice on how to get a personal number, ID card I wouldn't be able to tell them. I went to Skat ... (show full quote)

Hi Annbags , thanks for the sober and balanced reply, I am considering the move myself have posted some question but so far all I have had is don't come to Sweden its isolated,boring, its ageist hard to make friends and because Im 45 I won't find work in my field ( IT Manager)) hope you don't mind me asking your views on the above and employment experience? Thanks in advance
+
Svedallas
post 23.Jul.2018, 02:18 PM
Post #220

QUOTE (Wanderlust007 @ 15.Jul.2018, 06:45 PM) *
Hi Annbags , thanks for the sober and balanced reply, I am considering the move myself have posted some question but so far all I have had is don't come to Sweden its i ... (show full quote)

At 45, it will be very hard to make friends. It is much easier in early 20s for anyone to move.

I once knew an American who moved here in his 50s, he even learned the language, got a job, etc. But was lonely. He then moved to Spain and didnt turn back.
+
SmokerT69
post 23.Jul.2018, 02:27 PM
Post #221

QUOTE (Svedallas @ 23.Jul.2018, 03:18 PM) *
At 45, it will be very hard to make friends. It is much easier in early 20s for anyone to move.I once knew an American who moved here in his 50s, he even learned the language, ... (show full quote)

The only friends I've made is other Europeans I met at SFI. Italians and Germans... the only Swedes I know are my wife's friends and family. I'm a very social person and don't have a problem talking with anyone and will normally be the one to strike up a conversation. One thing I noticed is Swedes don't like it when you talk to them on the bus or train lol.
+
Svedallas
post 23.Jul.2018, 02:54 PM
Post #222

QUOTE (SmokerT69 @ 23.Jul.2018, 03:27 PM) *
The only friends I've made is other Europeans I met at SFI. Italians and Germans... the only Swedes I know are my wife's friends and family. I'm a very social pers ... (show full quote)

Most people make friends exactly through that way, classes. SFI or expat social events as well. But it is as you said, easier and much easier through family.

Yes, we do not like small talk (only when there is alcohol involved).
God forbid you strike a conversation on an elevator! laugh.gif
+
pepitoAndalucia
post 23.Jul.2018, 03:00 PM
Post #223

QUOTE (Svedallas @ 23.Jul.2018, 03:18 PM) *
At 45, it will be very hard to make friends. It is much easier in early 20s for anyone to move.I once knew an American who moved here in his 50s, he even learned the language, ... (show full quote)

Spanish job market is tough and very precarious, even if you have a job most likely you will be underpaid and overworked. But there people won't put poker faces if you make eye contact or speak to them in the street. In Spain women don't show panic faces if you make eye contact with them. Lucky us, for our mental health.

Sweden is a very difficult country in the social aspect. Also the housing system with the second hand market which is misery to take our money while living like nomads in short term accommodation and the queues to find apartment. Then the story... your education is worthless. Too many barriers I don't see in other countries.

But swedes act like if nothing affects them. A swede asked me in one occasion about how many years we had to queue in Spain for rentals. He thought queues for rentals are normal everywhere else.

Swedes live unaware. Like in a bubble.
+
Svedallas
post 23.Jul.2018, 04:01 PM
Post #224

QUOTE (pepitoAndalucia @ 23.Jul.2018, 04:00 PM) *
Spanish job market is tough and very precarious, even if you have a job most likely you will be underpaid and overworked. But there people won't put poker faces if you mak ... (show full quote)

And yet you are in Sweden? Perhaps you are better of in Spain then...
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 23.Jul.2018, 04:10 PM
Post #225

What people are forgetting is that Swedes are living the way they want to in their country...You cannot leave a country and bring its cultural lifestyle with you and live it in another country...

If you do, it will make you unhappy and you will end up here laugh.gif rolleyes.gif
+

35 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 > » 
Reply to this topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: