The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »    Reply to this topic

The Swedish dream was always too good to be true.

And now the far right is back

Gamla Hälsingebock
post 15.May.2019, 02:11 PM
Post #16

Liberal bullshit!!!
Go to the top of the page
+
Bsmith
post 15.May.2019, 05:02 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (nativeswedishengineer @ 15.May.2019, 11:08 AM) *
So you totally missed the point about the fact that people might be turning right, because the neo-liberal globalist project has failed to provide any value? Yes, we get cheap ... (show full quote)

We are all assigning our futures to China in exchange for cheap shit.
+
cootje1976
post 15.May.2019, 07:18 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 15.May.2019, 05:02 PM) *
We are all assigning our futures to China in exchange for cheap shit.

Yep, and then we wonder why China now has all our ip and is able to allegedly spy on us via Huawei etc.
Outsourcing! Cheaper shit brought this, that is the new reality. Heck now they make even better phones then Apple...
+
simontnms115
post 16.May.2019, 07:41 AM
Post #19

Thanks for great article.

Swedes are quick to point the finger outward at all the wrong in the world that they swoop in to make better or are a shining example of “how it should be”.

If they ever pointed the finger at themselves they would be devastated. And since their national identity rests in a lie, they would crumble... as they are.
+
skogsbo
post 16.May.2019, 08:50 AM
Post #20

QUOTE (simontnms115 @ 16.May.2019, 06:41 AM) *
Americans are quick to point the finger outward at all the wrong in the world that they swoop in to make better or are a shining example of “how it should be”. If they eve ... (show full quote)

FTFY
+
Saywhatwhat
post 16.May.2019, 09:21 AM
Post #21

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 16.May.2019, 09:50 AM) *
FTFY

Hahaha. Are you incapable of being critical towards Sweden?

It’s hilarious how many are proving the point of the article.

American people care more about what’s going on in their own country and try to solve their own social issues.

Sweden cares more about what’s wrong in other countries rather than addressing their own issues... because they are good swedes, incapable of wrongdoing.

Do some research and learn why America became the superpower it is today... it has a little something to do with saving Europe from being destroyed. Just a little.
+
nativeswedishengineer
post 16.May.2019, 10:27 AM
Post #22

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 16.May.2019, 10:21 AM) *
Hahaha. Are you incapable of being critical towards Sweden?It’s hilarious how many are proving the point of the article.American people care more about what’s going on in ... (show full quote)

Sorry, what did you just say? Saving Europe? So americans were the ones beeing slaughtered at Rostov, Brody, Stalingrad, Moscow, Prokhorovka and Kursk?
+
skogsbo
post 16.May.2019, 10:47 AM
Post #23

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 16.May.2019, 08:21 AM) *
Hahaha. Are you incapable of being critical towards Sweden?It’s hilarious how many are proving the point of the article.American people care more about what’s going on in ... (show full quote)

You are American aren't you?

Don't get so wound up. All nationalities will defend their home nation, but happily criticise it amongst each other.

Be it ww2, Vietnam, Iraq or Iran again the USA does nothing for the benefit of others, there is always a selfish end goal. Which is fine, why not, but also lets not pretend otherwise.

It's was pretty clear in the late 30s and certainly 40s that there was a massive global rise in communism and facism. Had the USA stayed out of Europe, north America would have eventually become the only continent that was essentially free and democratic. Japan, ussr, Germany were all prepared to sacrifice millions of their population in battle to rule the world. Also Germany's rocketry was advancing rapidly, if they developed a functioning nuclear bomb it would be game over. So again, the USA didn't care about freeing Paris etc.. it was pure self interest. It worked out well for Europe as well of course. Even the post war loans to Europe the usa gave after ww2 were with interest, they weren't losing out through their charity and also got to use Europe as buffer between them and ussr.
+
Bsmith
post 16.May.2019, 11:47 AM
Post #24

There is no country with a clean laundry list. No country.
+
Saywhatwhat
post 16.May.2019, 04:36 PM
Post #25

QUOTE (nativeswedishengineer @ 16.May.2019, 11:27 AM) *
Sorry, what did you just say? Saving Europe? So americans were the ones beeing slaughtered at Rostov, Brody, Stalingrad, Moscow, Prokhorovka and Kursk?

Yes... and they did. No, they weren’t necessarily slaughtered there. However, 400,000 died... while saving Europe.

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 16.May.2019, 11:47 AM) *
You are American aren't you? Don't get so wound up. All nationalities will defend their home nation, but happily criticise it amongst each other. Be it ww2, Vietnam, I ... (show full quote)

Not wound up at all skogs. I have enjoyed our exchanges as they haven’t devolved into nonsense despite our different opinions.

I agree with all that you say here. My problem was that you made that joke, and then the following, assuming people think America is doing what it does to help people... and no one thinks that, especially not Americans... well... a majority knows America only operates out of self interests.

And then you said it perfectly... “Had the USA stayed out of Europe, north America would have eventually become the only continent that was essentially free and democratic. Japan, ussr, Germany were all prepared to sacrifice millions of their population in battle to rule the world. Also Germany's rocketry was advancing rapidly, if they developed a functioning nuclear bomb it would be game over. So again, the USA didn't care about freeing Paris etc.. it was pure self interest. It worked out well for Europe as well of course. Even the post war loans to Europe the usa gave after ww2 were with interest, they weren't losing out through their charity and also got to use Europe as buffer between them and ussr”

I never said nor implied America does what it does, during ww1-ww2 or ever, out of the goodness of their heart.

And as I said before... I wish America would spend more on its own problems rather than their military... and if left to defend themselves... European countries would have a hard time providing the social benefits like they do.
+
nativeswedishengineer
post 16.May.2019, 04:59 PM
Post #26

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 16.May.2019, 05:36 PM) *
Yes... and they did. No, they weren’t necessarily slaughtered there. However, 400,000 died... while saving Europe.

So you want to count all US war casualites as belonging to the europea theater of operations? Nothing going on in asia or in the pacific, right?
+
Bsmith
post 16.May.2019, 05:38 PM
Post #27

What if games are always meaningless. What if USA had not intervened in WW2? Who knows for sure? Historians are pretty much in agreement that it was a turning point in the war but myself, as an American, don't expect to get my ass kissed everytime I meet a European. It was something that happened several generations ago and that is that.

I know that a lot of Europeans have bad feelings towards Americans. Not entirely sure why but certainly America nor all Americans are perfect. On the other side of the coin, most Americans have a total disregard for Europe other than a fascination with the countries of their origin. On Saint Paddy's Day, "Oh I'm half Irish" and all that type of hoorah. The reason for this is probably because most Americans have not been to Europe. It is a bit pricey to fly over the pond unless Uncle Sam is sponsoring a free trip. That is why I thought it was so important to introduce my kids to Sweden when they were little. Instead of a trip to *gag* Disneyworld, we moved to Sweden for a year. One of the best things I have ever done for my daughters, I'm sure. For the most part, I find that we are all more alike than we are different and I believe that if we focus on our commonalities instead of our differences, the world would be much better off.
+
Saywhatwhat
post 16.May.2019, 05:53 PM
Post #28

QUOTE (nativeswedishengineer @ 16.May.2019, 05:59 PM) *
So you want to count all US war casualites as belonging to the europea theater of operations? Nothing going on in asia or in the pacific, right?

There was plenty going on there... including the slaughter of millions of Chinese. What is your point?

Would you rather the iron curtain was still up and advancing west?

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 16.May.2019, 06:38 PM) *
What if games are always meaningless. What if USA had not intervened in WW2? Who knows for sure? Historians are pretty much in agreement that it was a turning point in the ... (show full quote)

So someone who is born in America to 1 irish parent is not half Irish? I know what you mean, but at the same time I don’t think that is why Europeans dislike Americans as you say.

There are plenty of misconceptions flying both ways.

I don’t think Europeans dislike Americans, nor Americans dislike Europeans. I think everyone dislikes American foreign policy. Most of it at least.

My goodness, has anyone read the article at the beginning of this thread and care to comment on that?
+
skogsbo
post 16.May.2019, 09:45 PM
Post #29

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 16.May.2019, 04:53 PM) *

Like it or not, the USA needs Europe as military launch pad and surveillance base(menwith hill and flyingdales). Be it radar and listening stations or air forces. The same with common wealth islands or French territory in the Indian ocean and other places. Or Cyprus. It needs these safe havens closer to Russia and China as part of its defence programme. The USA base on Diego Garcia is UK territory on long lease to the USA etc.. some times defence is mutually beneficial.
+
Saywhatwhat
post 17.May.2019, 06:04 AM
Post #30

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 16.May.2019, 10:45 PM) *
Like it or not, the USA needs Europe as military launch pad and surveillance base(menwith hill and flyingdales). Be it radar and listening stations or air forces. The same wit ... (show full quote)

Yea, cool. What is your point? Why do you always speak from a point of inferiority? No one here is saying or implying America is superior.

Now how about Sweden’s actions during ww2 and the repercussions of telling and teaching in school to successive generations of swedes that they were always the good guy?
+

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: