The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Very long unemployment

Chances of finding a job

Svedallas
post 21.Oct.2017, 03:00 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (eesh @ 21.Oct.2017, 02:23 PM) *
I am not familiar with the Swedish job market.With many international companies in Sweden and with 3822 English language jobs in Sweden according https://www.thelocal.se/jobs/ ... (show full quote)

Did you seriously quote TL? laugh.gif

When you reach your 3rd year Anniversary of unemployment, come back for real discussion.
Go to the top of the page
+
eesh
post 21.Oct.2017, 03:03 PM
Post #17

Wow you really are a nice person!
I wish you to be in my situation.
+
Svedallas
post 21.Oct.2017, 03:49 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (eesh @ 21.Oct.2017, 04:03 PM) *
Wow you really are a nice person!. I wish you to be in my situation.

I am a realist.

I do not feel sorry for you. The ones I feel sorry for, are those who do not have access to education, but yet, start a business, teach, or participate in a volunteer program, or make something of themselves regardless of their country or situation.

So no, I do not feel sorry for you. Sorry.
+
Bsmith
post 21.Oct.2017, 05:05 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (eesh @ 21.Oct.2017, 01:23 PM) *
I am not familiar with the Swedish job market.With many international companies in Sweden and with 3822 English language jobs in Sweden according https://www.thelocal.se/jobs/ ... (show full quote)

It is possible to get a job w/o speaking Swedish, but it will make getting a job harder. And, with the Swedish job market as tough as it is, it is better to remove that hurdle.

It depends on your objectives. If you really, really want to move to Sweden, then it is almost a must. If you are just looking for a job, perhaps I would try Germany or the Netherlands.
+
eesh
post 21.Oct.2017, 05:42 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (Svedallas @ 21.Oct.2017, 05:49 PM) *
I do not feel sorry for you. The ones I feel sorry for, are those who do not have access to education, but yet, start a business, teach, or participate in a volunteer program, ... (show full quote)

I started this topic for advice, not pity. For your information I did teach and volunteer, but I am looking for full time well paying job.

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 21.Oct.2017, 07:05 PM) *
It is possible to get a job w/o speaking Swedish, but it will make getting a job harder. And, with the Swedish job market as tough as it is, it is better to remove that hurdl ... (show full quote)

Thank you for clarifying that! I hoped the fact I am a graduate of a Swedish institute will compensate for the lack of Swedish.
+
Svedallas
post 22.Oct.2017, 10:43 AM
Post #21

QUOTE (eesh @ 21.Oct.2017, 06:42 PM) *
I started this topic for advice, not pity. For your information I did teach and volunteer, but I am looking for full time well paying job. Thank you for clarifying that! I ... (show full quote)

How can being a graduate of a Swedish institute compensate for the lack of Swedish?!?! You make no sense.

I know for a fact that Swedish universities offer Swedish classes.

Get a job in Germany, France or Holland. You'll be better of there.
+
flaneur
post 23.Oct.2017, 09:05 AM
Post #22

QUOTE (eesh @ 21.Oct.2017, 06:42 PM) *
I hoped the fact I am a graduate of a Swedish institute will compensate for the lack of Swedish.

Your name should be next to the word naive in the dictionary.
+
flaneur
post 23.Oct.2017, 09:14 AM
Post #23

QUOTE (eesh @ 21.Oct.2017, 04:03 PM) *
I wish you to be in my situation.

Honey, that's a bad karma.
+
nativeswedishengineer
post 17.Nov.2017, 10:37 AM
Post #24

QUOTE (Svedallas @ 20.Oct.2017, 07:01 PM) *
Time flies? 2 years is a long time to be on unemployment, and nothing to show for it.It would have taken 6 months at home, full time, if there was determination to get Swedish ... (show full quote)

Thanks very much for this. I am in a similar situation. What should I have been doing instead? Pray that the cancer and depression cured itself and go out hunting for jobs instead of being ill and receiving treatment?
+
Cheeseroller
post 17.Nov.2017, 11:44 AM
Post #25

Well, you created the situation by returning to your country after the MSc and losing time looking for work - which you probably knew would be difficult to find. Obviously during University, you had no ambition to stay in Sweden or you would have made some effort to learn at least basic Swedish while you had the chance to practice it.

Now your options are really limited. No work experience means few overseas companies would be willing to hire you from a distance.

If you are from the EU, your best option is the UK. Get any job where you are and save enough money to visit the Uk for three months. When there, find any job to pay the bills so you can stay longer and look for better work.

There is no excuse for not finding work for 2 years. Work in McDonalds, anywhere. There is always work if someone wants it hard enough and refuses to live off others.
+
Cheeseroller
post 17.Nov.2017, 11:50 AM
Post #26

QUOTE (nativeswedishengineer @ 17.Nov.2017, 10:37 AM) *
Thanks very much for this. I am in a similar situation. What should I have been doing instead? Pray that the cancer and depression cured itself and go out hunting for jobs ins ... (show full quote)

Taking time out because you are ill, is totally different from sitting on your ass and refusing to take work that gets your hands dirty. I have a son who has just graduated. He is realistic that it will take months to find an employer in his field, so works part-time in a super market. The remaining time he is job searching and attending interviews.
+
rex
post 17.Nov.2017, 11:30 PM
Post #27

QUOTE (Cheeseroller @ 17.Nov.2017, 11:50 AM) *
Taking time out because you are ill, is totally different from sitting on your ass and refusing to take work that gets your hands dirty. I have a son who has just graduated. H ... (show full quote)

The "attending interviews" requirement can be hard to achieve when you get no interviews. I have a friend who's in this situation, he keeps applying for jobs but gets something like one semi-interview per month.

It's easy to dismiss people and their problems, but let's not pretend where the real issue lies.
+
eesh
post 18.Nov.2017, 06:34 AM
Post #28

QUOTE (Cheeseroller @ 17.Nov.2017, 02:44 PM) *
Well, you created the situation by returning to your country after the MSc and losing time looking for work - which you probably knew would be difficult to find. Obviously dur ... (show full quote)

Indeed, I was home sick.
Now your options are really limited. No work experience means few overseas companies would be willing to hire you from a distance.

I do have work experience.
If you are from the EU, your best option is the UK. Get any job where you are and save enough money to visit the Uk for three months. When there, find any job to pay the bills so you can stay longer and look for better work.

I am not from the EU. I visited the UK and didn't like it and there is also Brexit...
There is no excuse for not finding work for 2 years. Work in McDonalds, anywhere. There is always work if someone wants it hard enough and refuses to live off others.

In a reality where there are more job seekers than jobs, employers are picky. Being overqualified and without burger serving experience makes it hard to work even in McDonalds.
+
Bsmith
post 18.Nov.2017, 02:44 PM
Post #29

eesh, it's like fishing. You ain't gonna catch anything if you don't have your hook in the water. The more you dangle that bait in front of a fish, the more likely you are to get a strike. So go out there and start fishing.

Good luck.
+
Martian
post 20.Nov.2017, 12:04 PM
Post #30

QUOTE (rex @ 17.Nov.2017, 11:30 PM) *
The "attending interviews" requirement can be hard to achieve when you get no interviews. I have a friend who's in this situation, he keeps applying for jobs but ... (show full quote)

+5
+

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: