The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Employer said citizens only

To someone with full rights to work here

Tenacious185
post 3.Nov.2017, 04:19 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (Svedallas @ 3.Nov.2017, 04:06 PM) *
Yes, Some Swedish restaurants have a preference of those who have deep knowledge of the Swedish food culture. There are some Swedish cuisine basics, which would probably take ... (show full quote)

Like underseason everything, and cover it with a kilo of watercress so that the guest gets distracted away from the shit quility of what's underneath it? wink.gif

Traditional Swedish food, done with some heart is delicious. But most of the places here aren't actually putting any heart into it at all. They are practicing flavorless, rigid conformity, and all serving the exact same dishes, then whining like bitches when someone with some degree of international experience actually suggests that MAYBE it could be done, I dunno, better? More interesting?

The best Swedish food I have ever had, done by Swedes, is by non-chefs in their own homes. So yes, Swedes CAN make awesome food. The best Swedish food in restaurants has been by non-Swedish chefs who learn Swedish dishes, and dare to add a little bit of extra "oomph" to it, by NOT conforming to what everyone else is doing. Like people in their own homes are doing. People that were not "trained" into compliance. The kitchen is no place for a stunted imagination.

Swedish cooking schools are like marine boot camps. Not exactly a place for individuality, or freedom of expression.
Go to the top of the page
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 3.Nov.2017, 04:21 PM
Post #17

Home cooked vis a vie foreign is in the palate of the one who ingests it...

Are there any places that specialize in something like 5 alarm chili, popular with native Swedes???

If Swedes like "bland" food that's up to them, not anyone here...
+
Tenacious185
post 3.Nov.2017, 04:23 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 3.Nov.2017, 04:21 PM) *
Home cooked vis a vie foreign is in the palate of the one who ingests it.... Are there any places that specialize in something like 5 alarm chili, popular with native Swedes???

If there aren't, there damn well should be. biggrin.gif

And you'd be surprised by how many Swedes love spicy food! Their poor little lily-white palates are screaming for excitement! Most only think they like bland food until they try something else.

And don't get me started on how much the liy-white Swedes with their seemingly bland palates react when they try dating outside their comfort zones. Hint: They don't go back to boiled potatoes. wink.gif
+
Cheeseroller
post 3.Nov.2017, 04:28 PM
Post #19

Swedish food culture? What exactly is that? Where are all the Swedish restaurants in every town in other countries - except Ikea?

Here is Wikipedia's description:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_cuisine
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 3.Nov.2017, 04:35 PM
Post #20

Again, Swedes are being judged by other taste standards and naturally found to be lacking in culinary appreciation...

Foreign/immigrant standards are just that...foreign...

I guess some people can't cook without masking the true flavor of foods, by adding things not found naturally in them, simply prepared food seems to be wanted by the "native" population...

So: To each his own, said the man as he kissed his...horse!!! laugh.gif
+
Tenacious185
post 3.Nov.2017, 04:41 PM
Post #21

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 3.Nov.2017, 04:35 PM) *
Again, Swedes are being judged by other taste standards and naturally found to be lacking in culinary appreciation... Foreign/immigrant standards are just that...foreign...I g ... (show full quote)

There's a huge difference between masking and enhancing. And there's a huge amount of masking in throwing piles of garnish on top of dull food hoping nobody will notice.

FWIW, I love Swedish food. And many untrained Swedish cooks with only a little passion do it well. My only point is the most uppity chefs who think they are god's gift to the kitchen, better than everyone else, and somehow have the right to throw tantrums and act like babies, are the ones that are the absolute worst at what they do. They learned how to perform the mechanics, but little else.

And this is by no means only an issue in Sweden. wink.gif
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 3.Nov.2017, 05:14 PM
Post #22

A calm, mannerly Chef is deemed to be lacking in the high strung passion needed to boil water with verve, elan and intensity...

Dull man...ergo...dull food!!! rolleyes.gif
+
Svedallas
post 3.Nov.2017, 05:20 PM
Post #23

QUOTE (Cheeseroller @ 3.Nov.2017, 04:28 PM) *
Swedish food culture? What exactly is that? Where are all the Swedish restaurants in every town in other countries - except Ikea? Here is Wikipedia's description:https://e ... (show full quote)

Food culture in the sense that there are so many "traditional" Swedish foods, that one from a foreign culture would probably not know. And it is not just the food, but the methods of how to prepare.

If I had a Swedish restaurant, I would be very hesistant to want to have someone who has to learn from scratch. Would rather employ someone who at least knows the culture, and various types of traditional foods + preparation stages etc.

On that note, there are plenty of new international (non-Scandinavian) restaurants, especially in Stockholm. So, why would that be a problem to apply to them??
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 3.Nov.2017, 05:26 PM
Post #24

Exactly...if you want Swedish style cooking, naturally you go to a Swedish place, if not you go elsewhere...

Yes, it's that simple...
+
Tenacious185
post 3.Nov.2017, 05:26 PM
Post #25

QUOTE (Svedallas @ 3.Nov.2017, 05:20 PM) *
Food culture in the sense that there are so many "traditional" Swedish foods, that one from a foreign culture would probably not know. And it is not just the food, b ... (show full quote)

I see your point, but an able cook can learn from scratch pretty damn fast. And just knowing Swedish food doesn’t make you an inspiring chef...however...I suspect it’s the unfamiliarity that comes into play. A foreign person, trained in another country, who may not speak good Swedish (so the Swedish staff has to speak English) really makes some Swedes uncomfortable. They will often choose what’s comfortable, sometimes at the expense of talent. But I guess that’s their choice.
+
intrepidfox
post 3.Nov.2017, 05:50 PM
Post #26

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 3.Nov.2017, 05:26 PM) *
Exactly...if you want Swedish style cooking, naturally you go to a Swedish place, if not you go elsewhere.... Yes, it's that simple...

I wish i could find a place doing Swedish food that doesn´t cost an arm or a leg in Göteborg.
ps I must admit that is a lie. There is a cafe called Rosa Mi which is excellent and family owned which opens at 5 am
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 3.Nov.2017, 05:54 PM
Post #27

The best talent that you bring to a job interview is the one that allows the employer to see if you "fit in" or not with their work environment...
+
Svedallas
post 3.Nov.2017, 06:07 PM
Post #28

QUOTE (Tenacious185 @ 3.Nov.2017, 05:26 PM) *
I see your point, but an able cook can learn from scratch pretty damn fast. And just knowing Swedish food doesn’t make you an inspiring chef...however...I suspect it’s the ... (show full quote)

That is what a chef would say naturally. But some just do not have the patience for it.
Honestly. Also, a chef would probably need to deal with many suppliers, who speak Swedish...so there would be many challenges.
+
rex
post 3.Nov.2017, 06:43 PM
Post #29

If your wife has a residence permit that allows her to get employed without any additional paperwork from the employer, e.g., a PUT or equivalent crap, then it's discrimination and you could and should address this problem with a discrimination ombudsman or the press, they love shit like this. Just because it happens it doesn't mean that it is allowed or okay. Also check the job announcement from the restaurant, if it doesn't clearly state they require a Swedish citizen (and why) then it's again discrimination.

Note that certain jobs require you to have a Swedish citizenship, some form of permanent residence, and/or language certificates, usually it's the ones that involve working with or in the government on all levels.
+
the_austrian
post 4.Nov.2017, 12:09 PM
Post #30

Lol, guys ... biggrin.gif
+

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: