The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Safe accomodation in Gothenburg

Safe neighborhood

goruneren
post 6.Jul.2016, 01:45 AM
Post #1

Hello!

I have read through all of your replies from the previous post.

I will be moving in Gothenburg soon and I want to know if things are really as bad as I've heard:

- regarding bad neighborhoods - which parts of the city should I avoid ? Is there a map ? I will be looking for rent soon and I don't want to get scammed into moving in a bad neighborhood
- regarding street crime - am I safe when walking from home to work and back?
- regarding the stories in the news - ISIS recruiting grounds sounds a bit made up - has anyone seen any actual evidence of this - or terrorism in Gothenburg
- regarding crime - are there really shootings/bombings in public areas ?
- regarding drugs - are there really so many drug addicts walking around that will start a fight or steal your money ?
- regarding hooligans - do they really fight in the city ?

How do you keep safe in the city?
Or is this issue of safety really inflated by the media?

I have been there only a couple of times and all I saw were busy people going to work - nothing that would indicate all these terrible things I hear about in the news.

I really appreciate your answers.
Thank you!
Go to the top of the page
+
Emerentia
post 6.Jul.2016, 09:29 AM
Post #2

First, I live in Stockholm, and don't know that much about Gothenburg, so this is more like general advice.
Don't be afraid, there aren't that much crime, Gothenburg is a pretty safe city, these are some areas that I've heard is not that nice though; Bergsjön, Biskopsgården, Gårdsten, Hammarkullen, Hjällbo, Lövgärdet.

According to Swedish Security Service Gothenburg is the area is Sweden where Isis has recruited the most people. But I don't think it's like they walk up to you on the street, trying to recruit you, so I don't think this is something that you will even notice. There has been no acts of terrorism in Gothenburg as far as I know. As far as I know has there only been one islamic terror attack in Sweden all together, that was in 2010 when Taimour Abdulwahab blow himself up in Stockholm (no one else got killed).

Yes, there are shootings in Gothenburg, but it seems to be criminals shooting at other criminals, there are no school shootings, or similar things. In 2014 there were 50 shootings, 24 people got hurt and 4 was killed. 13 of these were in Biskopsgården, 6 in Hisingen/Lundby and 5 in Bergsjön and 5 in Backa. In 2015 there seem to have been less shootings.

http://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/vast/list...i-goteborg-2014

Yes, there are drug addicts, but generally speaking, I think in most cases if you don't mess with them, they don't mess with you, they keep to themselves. I frequently pass Sergels torg ("Plattan") in Stockholm, at all hours, where there has always been a lot of them, but I've never been robbed or harassed or anything. But muggings and robbings do occur, of course, but I don't think it's something that you should go around and be afraid of.

There are hooligans that fight after matches, but it's not that often. They are usually quite easy to avoid (they are rather noicy and you can hear them coming), and they usually don't attack people who aren't involved. Most of the time they are mostly just rowdy, making a lot of noice, but not much more.

I live in the center of Stockholm, and I'm out and about at all times, and I've never been subject to any crime or even witnessed any crime (except things like jaywalking and shoplifting), and I would assume it's pretty much the same in Gothenburg. If you don't get involved in criminal things, then you are pretty safe I would say.

I would start by looking at hemnet.se (a big site where you see a lot of the homes that are for sale, even if you're looking to rent, this could be useful, because you can see that the areas where most people want to live, and pay the most to live there.) Expensive areas are usually attractive and safe areas where cheaper areas are less attractive, it doesn't mean that they are unsafe, but less people want to live there, and there are poorer people living there. I'm not saying that poor people are bad or anything, but there might be more people in those areas who are criminals.

Good luck!
+
TLSucks
post 6.Jul.2016, 10:50 AM
Post #3

As someone who live in Gothenburg I can answer this for you:

- regarding bad neighborhoods - which parts of the city should I avoid ? Is there a map ? I will be looking for rent soon and I don't want to get scammed into moving in a bad neighborhood

The list Emerentia gave is quit good. Here is a map http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/krim/article22232202.ab

Btw, the rental market is defunct in Sweden, so you will only have the option to rent sublets on one-two year contracts. Beware of scams and do not pay huge deposits or money unless you actually have access to the apartment and know that the person you rent from is the actual owner and that they have permission from the board. This subject deserves a whole thread on its own.

Yes. Even the areas above are generally safe for the average person during daytime.

- regarding the stories in the news - ISIS recruiting grounds sounds a bit made up - has anyone seen any actual evidence of this - or terrorism in Gothenburg
There has been a flow of idiots going south to fight for ISIS, but nothing that has been seen in Gothenburg, yet.

Yes, mostly criminal turf wars in the areas listed above. Unless you are involved in drug trade or law enforcement you should be ok.

- regarding drugs - are there really so many drug addicts walking around that will start a fight or steal your money ?
Nope, not many druggies at all. I would say the only nuisance is gypsie beggars outside of stores but the most interaction you will have with them is basically saying hello.

Just like criminal gangs the hooligans only fight other hooligans, and often they even agree on a time and a spot for their fights. You may see hooliganism if you go to a big game, but mostly you will not notice it at all.

As a reference I bike to/from work everyday through parts of Hisingen island and central Gothenburg and I have never seen anything remotely sketchy except from gypsies sleeping in their cars.
+
sumodaz
post 6.Jul.2016, 11:30 AM
Post #4

Hi,

- regarding bad neighborhoods - which parts of the city should I avoid ? Is there a map ? I will be looking for rent soon and I don't want to get scammed into moving in a bad neighborhood.

I personally would avoid Angered, Bergsjön, Biskopsgården, Hisingen/Lundby, Backa; to live, they're fine to visit though.

As safe as your average UK city, much safer than your average US city.

- regarding the stories in the news - ISIS recruiting grounds sounds a bit made up - has anyone seen any actual evidence of this - or terrorism in Gothenburg.

In regard to recruiting I'm sure it probably happens, as with anywhere with young, lost kids looking for a place in life, sad but I personally don't care as it doesn't really affect my life in Gothenburg. I think its highly unlikely there is going to be any kind of terrorist attack in Gothenburg.
The graph below show how hysterical the media have become over terrorism in Europe.
http://www.datagraver.com/case/people-kill...urope-1970-2015

If you mean does it happen in the city centre? No, it is usually confined to the areas I mentioned above and rarely is a non gang member caught up.

Can't say i've ever noticed any personally in the city centre.

This is the first time i've heard of hooligans fighting in Gothenburg, certainly nothing I have ever noticed or think of as a problem. I'm sure it does happen as with anywhere, but it would only ever be hooligans fighting other hooligans.

It's kind of ridiculous how much the safety of the city has been blown out of proportion by the media. Seems to me it's just the right wing media exaggerating it for their own agenda.

p.s Ha, just had a quick look online at some of the media's portrayal of Gothenburg, it's comedic. I didn't quite realise how ridiculous it had become.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: