The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »    Reply to this topic

12 Year Old Dies Of Toothache In America

VikingHumpingWitch
post 7.Mar.2007, 12:59 PM
Post #31

QUOTE (Yendor)
I have lived and worked in California for many years and now live and work in Sweden. First, get over this idea that health care is free in Sweden! You pay for it through your sky-high taxes! Second, the health care system in the US is a big mess! I think the US should have a National Health Care System but that wont happen because there is to much money "in the game"! I ended up in the hospital in Borås about a year ago with cancer and i got FIRST CLASS CARE all the way. But before i landed in the hospital i was going "downhill fast" and went to my local doctor and he did not know what was wrong with me! So he sent me to another doctor and he could not find out what was wrong either! So he sent me to a third doctor and he told me i had a Colin infection and let me go taking a pill a day. After 10 days my friend drove me to the hospital, there i collapsed on the floor! When i came to in my hospital bed they told me i had Colin Cancer and that i was in "very bad shape"! Bottom line is that if your OUTSIDE the hospital seeing doctors its a "toss of the dice". So if you get sick GO TO THE HOSPITAL! Three idiot doctors almost cost me my LIFE!

I think we are actually all aware that healthcare in Sweden is funded by taxes. The point though is that if you work for a crappy wage, you can still afford to see a doctor or a dentist.

Sorry to hear about your Colin infection, hope that's cleared up. Sounds nasty.
Go to the top of the page
+
Elvis Has Left The Buildi...
post 7.Mar.2007, 01:00 PM
Post #32

Pjrnunes is correct, GDP that I could find was
US 13 trillion dollars *15%= 1,95 trillion
Sweden 285 billion dollars *9%= 25,65 billion

Per person
US 1,95 trillion/300 million peeps = 6500
Sweden 25,65 billion/9 million peeps = 2850

I am most likely going to get myself in trouble because I may be worse at math then anyone else out there because there was a confusing amount of zeroes in the calculations. Bottom line wellygirl is that it will never be enough.
+
lolly
post 7.Mar.2007, 01:03 PM
Post #33

QUOTE (wellygirl)
Thank you! This is what I was trying to talk about!!!

And yes, ok, I admit I'm not a human calculator!!!

I hope you all had a good laugh at my percentage muddle though!!!

Regardless, why does the US have a suckier health care system than a country like sweden, if they, in theory spend more?

and maybe if there are unpaid medical bills it could be due to the fact that the cost might be a little high?

At least anyone here in AU can walk in to a public hospital and get treatment, and not turned away.

Mind you I have health insurance because if I don't, and I get it in 20 years time, it will be too expensive for me to afford.
+
Streja
post 7.Mar.2007, 01:06 PM
Post #34

Isn't it colon?

Hmmm...I think Sweden should clear up some mess in the health care system, especially here in Gbg as I have never been able to see a doctor at a vårdcentral in all the 4 years I've lived here...always have to go to Axessakuten or Backa läkarhus...why? Because my vårdcentral is always busy...you're supposed to call them for an appointment but the line is ALWAYS busy! it sucks...
+
*Paulo's Hilton Not Blond*
post 7.Mar.2007, 01:07 PM
Post #35

QUOTE (Brian18148)
Pjrnunes is correct, GDP that I could find was
US 13 trillion dollars *15%= 1,95 trillion
Sweden 285 billion dollars *9%= 25,65 billion

Per person
US 1,95 trillion/300 million peeps = 6500
Sweden 25,65 billion/9 million peeps = 2850

I am most likely going to get myself in trouble because I may be worse at math then anyone else out there because there was a confusing amount of zeroes in the calculations. Bottom line wellygirl is that it will never be enough.

I also calculated and got these results:
(values multiplied by 10^6)

USA = 6.50 per person
Sweden = 3.56 per person

So the USA spend more money on it.
+
wellygirl
post 7.Mar.2007, 01:09 PM
Post #36

QUOTE (Pjrnunes)
I also calculated and got these results:
(values multiplied by 10^6)

USA = 6.50 per person
Sweden = 3.56 per person

So the USA spend more money on it.

so the US may spend more money on it but they are possibly not distributing these funds fairly...
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 7.Mar.2007, 01:10 PM
Post #37

QUOTE (Streja)
Isn't it colon?

Hmmm...I think Sweden should clear up some mess in the health care system, especially here in Gbg as I have never been able to see a doctor at a vårdcentral in all the 4 years I've lived here...always have to go to Axessakuten or Backa läkarhus...why? Because my vårdcentral is always busy...you're supposed to call them for an appointment but the line is ALWAYS busy! it sucks...

That must depend on where you live. The vårdcental I had at our previous flat was excellent, you just rang an automated line and keyed in your phone number, they always called back within half an hour and I never waited more than 2 days for an appointment.
+
*Paulo's Hilton Not Blond*
post 7.Mar.2007, 01:11 PM
Post #38

QUOTE (wellygirl)
so the US may spend more money on it but they are possibly not distributing these funds fairly...

It's possible. Not all these funds reach everybody. I think most of this is also invested in medical research(business and more money in the future) so not exactly in treatment.
+
Yendor
post 7.Mar.2007, 01:14 PM
Post #39

So if your seeing your local doctor for some problem and something does not seem or sound right and your getting "bounced around" from one doctor to another go to the hospital before its to late! A national health care system works more or less in Sweden with about 9 million people but would it work in the US with 300 million people? Or would it just be to HUGE to manage or work?
+
FR
post 7.Mar.2007, 01:15 PM
Post #40

QUOTE (Streja)
Isn't it colon?

a Colin infection, however, is far more interesting.
+
wellygirl
post 7.Mar.2007, 01:16 PM
Post #41

QUOTE (Pjrnunes)
It's possible. Not all these funds reach everybody. I think most of this is also invested in medical research(business and more money in the future) so not exactly in treatment.

Prevention is better than cure, in the case of the kid dying of a tooth infection this is definately a prime example as he is now dead from lack of simple prevetion methods...

here's a little more light hearted approach for ya:

http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2006/bi...evention-p1.php
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 7.Mar.2007, 01:17 PM
Post #42

QUOTE (Yendor)
So if your seeing your local doctor for some problem and something does not seem or sound right and your getting "bounced around" from one doctor to another go to the hospital before its to late! A national health care system works more or less in Sweden with about 9 million people but would it work in the US with 300 million people? Or would it just be to HUGE to manage or work?

It would probably be easier to manage if run by states rather than as a federal organisation.
+
Streja
Post #43

QUOTE (VikingHumpingWitch)
That must depend on where you live. The vårdcental I had at our previous flat was excellent, you just rang an automated line and keyed in your phone number, they always called back within half an hour and I never waited more than 2 days for an appointment.

Yeah somethin that sucks in Kortedala...hmmm they closed it down now...opened up a new big one in gamlestad...closed down the angered one or something as well.. so we're all supposed to go there...I haven't tried yet...not been ill for a long time.
+
Elvis Has Left The Buildi...
Post #44

In the US Hospitals say they offset the costs of non-insured by raising their prices, insurance companies claim to raise their rates due to the hospitals costs. A vicious circle that is like the chicken or the egg question.

I have three friends; Brazilian, German and Brittish, all of whom have residency here in Sweden and all of whom returned to the home land for medical treatment because they could not get proper treatment or any treatment in Sweden. One of them even happens to be a doctor in their home land but are here because of a their spouse's situation. Like I said before every country has it's issues and can be cited many times over. Including the one you live in and think is great.
+
Mike
post 7.Mar.2007, 01:18 PM
Post #45

QUOTE (Yendor)

It would be as efficient, awesome, and successful as all the other government programs like... ummm... errr...

Seriously, if you want your health care to have the same quality and service as the DMV, vote for national health care.
+

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: