The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

What is the meaning behind the 7 candle minora

Is it for All Saints holiday or St Lucia?

*thel0calsucks*
post 17.Dec.2011, 09:05 PM
Post #1

There were 7 seven candles on the minora I saw, I am guessing it represents the 7 day period for All Saints, or it could be the candle hat worn by St Lucia, not sure, can anyone tell me please thanks.

(it's the one that they sell at Clas Olson)
Go to the top of the page
+
Marmi
post 17.Dec.2011, 11:06 PM
Post #2

First off, it's NOT a Menorah, and secondly, it doesn't have any religious meaning, or anything like that. The number of candles have no meaning what so ever, the candelabras have an uneven number of candles for esthetic purposes.

It was actually "born" out of scraps. Read the history behind it here (in Swedish, but you can use Google translate):

History behind the Swedish Electric Candelabra
smile.gif
+
swozzie
post 18.Dec.2011, 12:27 AM
Post #3

Very interesting - thx for posting that link Marmi smile.gif
+
janine63
post 18.Dec.2011, 06:23 AM
Post #4

The menorah as a whole stands for eternal light.The seven days of creation.
+
*thel0calsucks*
post 18.Dec.2011, 09:40 AM
Post #5

Ok but stil there are many websites that say this is a Christmas decoration, and to my memory you see more of them up during Christmas, and then they get taken down from the window ledge in January sometime. So I agree, it may have no religious significance but...is it not a festive ornament so it would be something you only have in hte window ledge during the holiday season?
+
Rick Methven
post 18.Dec.2011, 12:20 PM
Post #6

Sweden still retains more of the pre Christian traditions at this time of year. Which for most parts of the country means short days and long nights. A long time before Christianity came to Sweden, people light up the cold winter nights with candles around the time of the winter solstice. When Christianity started to make inroads into the country replacing the old pagan beliefs, the only way to get the people to accept it was to integrate the old traditions into the new religion. The tradition of lighting mid winter candles became the Advent lights. which are light for the four weeks before Christmas which also just 'happens' to be at the time of the winter solstice and the beginning of lighter days. If you analyse the Christian 'beliefs' you can see that the early preachers of the 'new' religion where very pragmatic and adept at changing the faith to encompass what the people they preached to already knew and accepted.

AdventsLjus, WinterLjus the same thing take whatever view of them depending on what turns you on

Now it is time to put up the Christmas/mid winter tree biggrin.gif
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: