The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5   Reply to this topic

This site is a f**king joke!

Swedish news?

Hisingen
post 6.Aug.2016, 03:52 PM
Post #61

Here come the threats - - but not a promise of improvement, that would be too much to expect.
Go to the top of the page
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 6.Aug.2016, 04:46 PM
Post #62

They must be rehabilitated!!!

Wash their minds clean and start anew...

The must learn to love TheLocal!!!
+
Renfeh Hguh
post 6.Aug.2016, 07:05 PM
Post #63

QUOTE (Hisingen @ 6.Aug.2016, 04:52 PM) *
Here come the threats - - but not a promise of improvement, that would be too much to expect.

Ohhh sh!t, not again...

If TheLocal respected it's readers and forum posters, who are the people who do all those clicks that TheLocal uses to bring in the paying customers, then they would listen to our complaints and make improvements.

I think if there was a survey of all TheLocal readers, I'm sure not many will have come to this place for the puff pieces and paid for content that Savage is so proud of. I found this place 10 or so years ago as I was curious to search for a Swedish news site in English. I can't remember if it was more news and less puff back then. Anyway, I'm sure I'm in the majority when it comes to why I'm here.

Even if Sweden is a bit of a sleepy little country with relatively little going on at times, there are certainly more things happening that could be of interest to expats living there and the Sweden curious. With more actual news on the page, the paid for content and puff pieces would be less in your face and there would be no need for a thread called "This site is a f**king joke!"
+
Bsmith
post 6.Aug.2016, 10:51 PM
Post #64

There is a lot going on in Sweden that will affect the country and it citizens profoundly in the very near future.

But we can't talk about that, can we?
+
Hisingen
post 7.Aug.2016, 02:00 PM
Post #65

Such things as and . But we don't dare mention them in print.

That is the way of the world. It is either illegal. immoral, or it makes you fat. Oh yes , and add to that - racist.
By the way, I left some space so that anyone who wishes can 'read between the lines'. rolleyes.gif
+
Hisingen
post 8.Aug.2016, 11:31 PM
Post #66

And all seem bound up in politics on one side or the other. Even the once revered for its impartiality BBC has its nose in the political trough.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 9.Aug.2016, 02:26 AM
Post #67

The news media...everywhere...is no longer what it was...impartial!!!

And it seems that the Liberal interpretation of the news is on top...

Conservative news is poorly represented...

However neither side should should be espoused...

Just give us the facts without a slant!!!
+
andy_fin
post 9.Aug.2016, 12:46 PM
Post #68

Faced with your problems i would integrate facebook authentication for the forums and remove the option of the antiquated username password combo.
https://developers.facebook.com/docs/facebook-login

There goes your anonymous "immigrant posters"

Any good reason why this would not be a good idea besides development costs?

I see the forum as one of your most valuable assets. It's a fantastic archive of questions and answers that you couldn't hope to replicate through blog / news posts.
Yes it has it's downsides but honestly i see it as TL's USP.
+
Renfeh Hguh
post 9.Aug.2016, 02:27 PM
Post #69

QUOTE (andy_fin @ 9.Aug.2016, 12:46 PM) *
Faced with your problems i would integrate facebook authentication for the forums and remove the option of the antiquated username password combo.https://developers.facebook.c ... (show full quote)

Unless the sites target audience are teens and the clueless early twenties, then TL will lose a lot of traffic to the forum. I'm sure I'm not alone in this, I will NEVER join any site where I must use Facebook as the login. I'd rather use Google's login because I don't have a presence there.

Do you want that Mark Fuckerberg to know what you do outside of FB as well?
+
TheExpatEagle
post 23.Aug.2016, 10:35 AM
Post #70

QUOTE (andy_fin @ 9.Aug.2016, 01:46 PM) *
Faced with your problems i would integrate facebook authentication for the forums and remove the option of the antiquated username password combo.https://developers.facebook.c ... (show full quote)

Why force users to have a Facebook account? That makes no sense because a lot of people refuse to have a Facebook account so you would cut off a fair percentage of your customers.

As for 'there goes your anonymous "immigrant posters" why? At one point I had 5 Facebook accounts for different testing reasons. I also have multiple Twitter, Tumblr, etc. accounts. It proves or prevents nothing.

As for costs, it could cost nothing depending on the platform.

The fact is, as Savage has admitted, The Local exists to promote paid for content to show Sweden in a certain light. It also serves to be a cash cow to pay their employees wages.

Yes, the site is free, so what? My site is free and costs me 300kr a year. I can't imagine The Local costs anything to maintain, depending on the platform, it could be done by a monkey.

However, what I dislike is when Savage slags off newspapers such as the Daily Mail for printing articles that shows what is really going on in Sweden. He can slag of the Daily Mail a much as he likes but for running articles that tell the truth and shatters the false image isn't the right reason.

Why doesn't The Local just merge with and become the news arm of Sweden.se so everything is out in the open?
+
intrepidfox
post 13.Jan.2017, 03:21 PM
Post #71

QUOTE (Savage @ 13.Jan.2017, 01:38 PM) *
So half a year ago, a certain group of people complained about The Local not covering real Swedish news.In the past few weeks, we have started to cover "real Swedish" ... (show full quote)

I like the news but what people complained about is that The Local on it´s Home & Facebook sides just publish garbage
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 13.Jan.2017, 03:41 PM
Post #72

"In the past few weeks, "we" have started to cover "real Swedish" news in this forum."

Please note the word "we" in the above sentence...

Are we facing an organization with an agenda???
+
Johno
post 14.Jan.2017, 03:22 PM
Post #73

Funny that I just the other day posted saying I had had it with this site.

But this thread has raised 2 things that really address the problem.

That while there are contributors on here who belong to the "I am never joining Facebook" head-in-the-sand group, this forum really will die. Too long to explain, those who don't get it never will.

And secondly while Savage has this weird idea notion that "real Swedish News is" the lowest of tabloid trash linked to Swedish newspaper sites, users will also depart and new users will be turned off. The headline posted is sensationalist, and from experience linking to any Swedish language source is a real turn off. So the threads really do fall on stony ground.

But both points will fall on deaf ears, but I have had my 5 pennyworth. Hej då!
+

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: