The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Student life at Umeå University

Feedback about the city and living there

leunama
post 7.May.2009, 02:18 PM
Post #1

Hello Everybody:

I am accepted to UMU and is coming there end of August. Would love to know about the city and the university from residents if you be kind enough. I can't wait to see the midnight Sun!

Waiting for your thoughts~~

Thanks,

biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
Bee
post 7.May.2009, 05:17 PM
Post #2

Umeå is amazingly beautiful. The people are friendly, alot more so than Stockholm. It can be a ghost town when the students are away, but it's well worth hanging around for it's mild, lovely summers. It's truly one of the most perfect places on this Earth of ours..enjoy!
+
jim747
post 7.May.2009, 08:40 PM
Post #3

Will be no midnight sun in august, nevermind.

Umeå is cracking, with a great uni, so you should enjoy yourself once you settle and meet more folk.
+
leunama
post 9.May.2009, 07:03 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (Bee @ 7.May.2009, 04:17 PM) *
Umeå is amazingly beautiful. The people are friendly, alot more so than Stockholm. It can be a ghost town when the students are away, but it's well worth hanging around f ... (show full quote)

Hello Bee: Know that you described it I can't wait to get there! observing the Norland thread often deserted on thelocal.se I have concluded people of Umea must have lots of great thing going for them biggrin.gif Hopefully with the visa process going well...dream will come true... Thanks cheers

QUOTE (jim747 @ 7.May.2009, 07:40 PM) *
Will be no midnight sun in august, nevermind.. Umeå is cracking, with a great uni, so you should enjoy yourself once you settle and meet more folk.

Hello Jim747: Silly me of course there is no midnight sun in August...may be I'll see it July 2010! It would also be great to see the 'noon moon' in December. What is great about the Uni though...compared to the schools in southern Sweden, how does it rate? Thanks for the heads up! Cheers
+
jim747
post 9.May.2009, 10:59 AM
Post #5

One of the Team Umeå members is studying law at the uni here, he likes it a lot. There are a lot of students in this town so there is a good student social life to look forward to.

And..

If we search on the Swedish word universitet we get the following ranked list:

Stockholms universitet (Stockholm University)
Umeå universitet (Umeå University)
Göteborgs universitet (University of Gothenburg)
Växjö universitet (Växjö University)
Uppsala universitet (Uppsala University)
Lunds universitet (Lund University)
Örebro universitet (Örebro University)
Linköpings universitet (Linköping University)
Karlstads universitet (Karlstad University)
Luleå tekniska universitet (Luleå Technical University)

So it's up there with the best of them.
+
*echochow*
post 13.May.2009, 10:16 PM
Post #6

Hi
I am a free mover from HK, Umea is far more different from the south part of Sweden since I was the exchange student in Jonkoping 2 years ago.I love this city so much as it's much more beautiful and people are so nice to you.
The cost of living is relatively lower in Umea, usually the rent for student residence is around 1766~2500Kr /month,Bike is a must need item in Umea as the bus always later for 20 mins.
There is not much raining in Umea, which I think it's better than south part.If you like ski or winter activity, the school organize different activities in the Winter.

I like the course design from business school ,not so many course work but you have enough time to do better, not merely get a pass. And the business courses, especially from the management department ,there are a lot of fun for the course projects,such as writing a operation business plan to a bakery shop..
Regarding to the ranking ,it depends on the school, like the design school is almost the best in Sweden.
However , I believe the great living enviroment and better learning atmosphere are much more important than the ranking.

trust me ,you will love this student town.
+
Kaylo
post 13.May.2009, 10:30 PM
Post #7

Umeå is quite a large university with lots of good courses. It is one of the few Swedish universities that is built on a single campus, so around the campus (and the town as a whole) definitely gives the feeling of a student town.
If you get in contact with the International Office at the university (accessible on the website in English) they have information about orientation and social programs for foreign students.
+
*sanel*
post 1.Nov.2011, 01:05 PM
Post #8

Umeå is cracking, with a great uni, so you should enjoy yourself once you settle and meet more folk. I agree.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: