The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

How easy is it to get a student visa??

*Rachellabelle*
post 25.Jun.2006, 11:13 PM
Post #1

Hi, I am hoping to study in Sweden in September. I've been accepted to a school and everything. I have researched getting a residents permit/visa and everything so I know what that is all about. Just wondering if anyone on here has ever gotten a permit and how long it took. The migration website says 6-8 weeks but does it really take that long?? or longer?? I'm a little worried as I haven't recieved my admission invitation yet and am planning to leave in about 8 weeks and haven't been able to apply for a visa yet!
Thanks
Go to the top of the page
+
Puffin
post 26.Jun.2006, 07:34 AM
Post #2

It can take a long time to get anything done in Sweden during the summer holiday period that runs from Midsummer (last weekend) - until early/mid August.

Are you an EU or nonEU citizens?

Try contactling the Uni/college admissions or international office to find out where your paperwork is.

Your best bet would be to contact the Swedish enbassy in the country where you live and ask them what the procedures/waiting times are at the moment - expalin the problem - often you can submit the standard paperwork and forms and complete the application later when the University letter arrives.
+
Rugby Girl
post 26.Jun.2006, 07:53 AM
Post #3

Hi Rachellabelle,

I've just recently got a residence permit (for studying) in Sweden starting in August. I'm from New Zealand and it took 2 and a half weeks, but I know that others from New Zealand have had to wait for heaps longer. It also probably helped that I took in my application in person to the consultate, and that the permit got issued in Australia (rather than having to be sent to Sweden).

If I was you I would be very worried that I didn't have my letter of acceptance yet, as I applied for many Swedish uni's and I all of my letters in the mail in May - and they would have taken a while to get to New Zealand. I am sure that they can send you an extra letter - you should probably email your programme coordinator in Sweden. Have you received any kind of acceptance - like an email? I agree with Puffin in that you should call your local embassy/consulate and tell them what is going on, fill out the forms, get your insurance etc, I originally applied with an acceptance email - but the letter arrived a few days later so I sent that to the consulate.

Where abouts are you from? What uni are you going to? I'm going to Lund to participate in an International Masters Programme.

Good Luck with everything biggrin.gif
+
*Rachellabelle*
post 27.Jun.2006, 04:07 AM
Post #4

Thanks for the info guys...I recieved my acceptance letter today which is a huge load off my mind. I'm thinking of applying with the online forms...I have no idea if that would be faster or not...I think I just want to get everything done and know the application has been recieved right away instead of having to wait a couple days in the mail...Anyone with experience in applying for the permit online?

Thanks
+
Vive La Suède
post 27.Jun.2006, 06:40 AM
Post #5

The applying online facility will not be functional for first time applicants from July 1st f or student visas. This is what is written on the Migrationboard website. I am not sure if you can apply online now but even if it is possible I would advise you to append all documents required for the visa application before July 1st. U need to have scanned copies of documents showing financial sufficiency, passport pages, acceptance letter and so on.
+
*Edge_wlkr*
post 27.Jun.2006, 08:02 AM
Post #6

I think you cannot apply for your first time visa through the website, though rules may have changed now.

Generally, some students end up joining classes late due to visa problems. So dont fret too much if u miss the introductory week or something, though it is good for making friends etc.
+
Borlange06v
post 8.Jul.2006, 08:42 AM
Post #7

Dear, I also applied throught the web site of migration board. first, they send me email, that I have to pay the fee for the application as I already have paid it. So, there were something gone wrong at bank. week later, they said that they approved my payment. I think due to payment problems and some other problems, they r closing 1st time application.
+
*GMM*
post 29.Aug.2006, 12:47 PM
Post #8

Can any body tell me how long it really takes to get a Decision from the Swedish Migratoin board, I turned in my apllication on the 4th of July at the Swedish Embassy here in my country, I contacted the Embassy after 7 weeks, they say a decison has not been reached, I have already missed the Introductory meeting, and I stand a chance of forfeiting my admiision if I don't get to BTH by Sept 11th which is the registration deadline. What Can I do please?
+
Puffin
post 30.Aug.2006, 08:32 AM
Post #9

I think that you might have been a little optimistic here as according to Migrationsverkets site a student visa takes up to 8 weeks to process (from the day they receive your application) - which is only just up
http://www.migrationsverket.se/english.jsp
Have you been in touch with your University - sometimes they can help speed up the process.

The summer is a very difficult time to get paperwork processed in Sweden. Most people take leave for at least 4 weeks between the end of June and mid August leaving most offices understaffed or staffed with inexperienced temporary staff.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: