The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Why no jobs for english speakers?

Having Swedish degree!

HiSweden
post 10.Nov.2019, 09:02 PM
Post #1

Hi

I have MSc in Logistics from a swedish uni, yet been applying for jobs for more than a year and no one is willing to hire me.

I cant understand why employers are afraid to hire people who dont speak swedish even when the job doesnt require it.

They underestimate you directly if you dont speak swedish.

I am doing labor work and I am tired of this as I cannot find anything better than those physically demanding jobs.

No plan to leave sweden as have to stay at least a year here.

What to do?
Go to the top of the page
+
bonviveur
post Yesterday, 6:48
Post #2

if you are good at something - become a self employed
+
HiSweden
post Yesterday, 7:54
Post #3

QUOTE (bonviveur @ 11.Nov.2019, 06:48 AM) *
if you are good at something - become a self employed

I am not sure where to start. Having a physical shop will cost a lot. I have no business plan.

I would love to work from home and be independent. I have no contacts here and i am not sure if there are any companies where they hire you for a more independent roles.

Any tips how to find such positions?
+
champaignepapi
post Yesterday, 8:30
Post #4

QUOTE (HiSweden @ 10.Nov.2019, 09:02 PM) *
What to do?

How about you start learning Swedish? It really is a no brainer. You said you've been applying for more than a year? You could've grasped the basic Swedish during that time.

As much as I understand what you're talking about, I (and so did thousands of other immigrants) learned the language and I speak it pretty fluently now. I started leaning it when I was doing my master's so I was still in a "I love Sweden" phase and it took me 3 years to get comfortable speaking it coherently.

Even if/when you leave Sweden eventually, you never know when would knowing Swedish (or any other language for that matter) be useful at some point in your life.
+
TheExpatEagle
post Yesterday, 19:10
Post #5

QUOTE (HiSweden @ 10.Nov.2019, 10:02 PM) *
HiI have MSc in Logistics from a swedish uni, yet been applying for jobs for more than a year and no one is willing to hire me.I cant understand why employers are afraid to hi ... (show full quote)

They are not "afraid" to employ people who don't speak Swedish but they are thinking about the people who work for them and who they have as customers.

Say a company has 20 employees and they employ you. Maybe 10 can't speak to you as they are not so good at English. The others have to speak English which causes a divide in the work place.

Then in comes as customer or whatever and you can't deal with them. I wouldn't employ you and when I moved here it took years to get a job, after I learned Swedish. Even then it was manual labour. That's life.
+
HiSweden
post Today, 2:36
Post #6

I will move to another country in 2 years so cant learn Swedish for one year just to work one year here.

The thing is I never expected to do labor work since I have higher education that at least should get me office job.
+

Reply to this topic
8 User(s) are reading this topic (7 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)