The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Sole Trader for Self-publishing

filing and tax help please?

skinandbonesx
post 24.Oct.2017, 12:09 PM
Post #1

Hi guys!

I'm releasing my first book at the end of the year and I've been doing a lot of research but still seem to come up understanding even less about sole trader and taxes every time I try to figure things out.

Let me give some background information so that maybe someone here can help me out.

I'm Canadian but have permanent residence in Sweden through family for going on 7 years now. I've always written in my spare time but this is the first time I will be publishing for profit. I don't expect to be making a lot of money, especially since this is the first time, but I was advised to set up at a sole trader regardless so it's easier in the future. I have set up a business bank account where I am using a small loan of 15000:- to pay my start-up expenses so that I have records of all money going towards the business and, eventually, profits coming in.

The book does not release until the 1st of January, but I will likely be making minimal profits before then as I sell signed copies of the book, and through donations through paypal and patreon efforts. That being said, these profits will be going entirely to paying the loan. At this point i'm just hoping to break even after the book releases. I'm not aiming for any substantial profits at this time.

I work part time so I am with the understanding that I need to apply for FA tax (even though I can't find information on this anywhere) but at this point that's pretty much as far as I've gotten even though I've read weeks worth of information. I've never had to file my own taxes before so a lot of stuff is going over my head.

I guess what I'm looking for is some advice on first steps here and a few questions answered:

When should I register as a sole trader?
Is it acceptable to get the "business" up and running and making profit before register or is it advised to register in advance? I was thinking I would register in January once my book is out and the profits start coming in, after I have my first offical "sale" but I'm worried about starting too late.
Can I write off outstanding expenses once I register (such as my book formatting program, printing set up fees and shipping expenses) or will I only be able to write off new expenses?
Do my current employers need to do anything difference once I apply for FA, tax wise?
Just, where should I start?
Go to the top of the page
+
sandon
post 24.Oct.2017, 05:56 PM
Post #2

Hi
Drop me a line at swaaccounting@hotmail.com and i can point you in the right direction.

Start your sole trader ASAP and the process is cost free and pretty simple to complete
+
ChocOwl
post 29.Oct.2017, 09:09 AM
Post #3

Try verksamt.se (there is some info in EN) and look on your municipality's website for info about the local/regional nyföretagarcentrum where you can get advice. They often have free "starta eget" courses. The Björn Lundén books are good info sources too. Might be available at your local library. There are alos lots of old threads about staring a business, you might find some good advice and links there.
But as an answer to your question: yes, you can deduct for costs before you actually start the business if you are starting an enskild firma.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: