The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Job in UK

Swedish family move to UK

viahero2k7
post 14.May.2014, 01:36 AM
Post #1

Hi All

I got a job in UK ,1st question ,where is the best ,secure and cheap city to live for a family ?,also near to airport? some people told me about Birmingham and Glasgow ? any suggestions please for a family ?

2nd question ,about getting the national number in UK ,I believe for me I can get based on my employment ,but what about my Sambo and kids ? as all the family an EU citizens ,what should I do ? plz advice ,appreciating your help

Regards
Go to the top of the page
+
skogsbo
post 14.May.2014, 06:16 AM
Post #2

1. Look at airport routes; thinking where your UK job is and where you want to fly to in Sweden. There isn't that much scope.

2. Look up HMRC (uk tax folk).

3. Go yourself for the first 6 months, it's easier.
+
viahero2k7
post 14.May.2014, 06:37 AM
Post #3

can you please explain N2 ? btw about N1 my work ll be virtual from any where in UK ,
/
do you mean about tax ,its deference between the cities ?
+
LLHope
post 14.May.2014, 07:33 AM
Post #4

https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number
+
yorkie redux
post 14.May.2014, 09:25 AM
Post #5

You'll find the UK a piece of cake after Sweden.

I've worked extensively in the UK in government administration, so would be happy to answer any further questions. I also regularly fly between Sweden and the UK.
+
Mo
post 14.May.2014, 09:37 AM
Post #6

different airports take you to different destinations

LHR is the biggest (& generally most expensive)

You need to give us a clue about where you need to fly to, with regards to where to live it depends on what you like
+
viahero2k7
post 14.May.2014, 03:23 PM
Post #7

I can stay any where in UK ,but I dont know where smile.gif this why am asking ,good,secure ,cheap city ,any recommendations ?
+
yorkie redux
post 14.May.2014, 04:06 PM
Post #8

Cheaper cities will be in the North, such as Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool, Sheffield or York.

I can vouch for Sheffield, it's very nice, with good access to the Peak District national park and plenty to do.

Personally, I would avoid Birmingham, London, Glasgow and anything in Essex.
+
skogsbo
post 14.May.2014, 04:12 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (viahero2k7 @ 14.May.2014, 03:23 PM) *
I can stay any where in UK ,but I dont know where smile.gif this why am asking ,good,secure ,cheap city ,any recommendations ?

is it me or this like pulling teeth, how close to an airport to you want to be? if you fly every week then perhaps very close, once or twice a year, live where you want as an airport is hardly relevant.

Not want to state the obvious not every UK airport flies planes to every location in the world, so depending on where you want to be, what price you intend to pay for a ticket, if you will drive, taxi, train or walk to the station too... you expect exact answers, but give ZERO details.

Where to live, that's you choice, are you a village, city, town person? Countryside, rivers, seaside? Neighbours or miles from anyone? Flat or House? Budget? Buy, Rent, long or short term.. unless you give people some pointers you won't get any valuable information back. I've lived and worked in many parts of England, Wales and Scotland, but can't really help steer you to some good bits until you know what you want.
+
skogsbo
post 14.May.2014, 04:18 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (yorkie redux @ 14.May.2014, 04:06 PM) *
Cheaper cities will be in the North, such as Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool, Sheffield or York. I can vouch for Sheffield, it's very nice, with good access to the Peak Distr ... (show full quote)

I quite like glasgow and would certainly rate it above Manchester, Brum, Leeds etc.. But it's horses for courses, I just hate the traffic in the North now, M62, M6, M1, A1(M) all a joke.
At least with Glasgow or Edinburgh, the cities are busy, but they have many nice parts and once you got out the initial city, it's easy to escape to more rural places.

Problem is, the OP doesn't know what they want and they'll be tied to the UK's incredibly poor and variable broadband coverage.
+
viahero2k7
post 14.May.2014, 04:49 PM
Post #11

because I need to travel often to Sweden ,I need to be near to the airport,

its long term ,but I have 3 months trail so I might continue or no ,I like country side but secure for family and near to transportation and the airport ,even if I will fly every few months it will be huge problem to reach the airport
+
skogsbo
post 15.May.2014, 06:33 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (viahero2k7 @ 14.May.2014, 04:49 PM) *
because I need to travel often to Sweden ,I need to be near to the airport, its long term ,but I have 3 months trail so I might continue or no ,I like country side but secure ... (show full quote)

why a huge problem?

Places like Manchester, East Mids and others have rail links direct to them. So you only need to look at where they fly to and then the train links, simply live anywhere along route. Like the trans pennine trains that go Manchester Airport, that gives you a huge scope. They are putting a new train line into Manchester so it will only get better. Other airport links; Glasgow and Edinburgh are a pain and need a bus link.

Not that many places fly direct to Sweden, but several more go to Copenhagen, so you can simply get a train north.

I think you should go first for at least 6mths, you simply don't know the lie or the land etc. and you don't even know if you will have a job still in 4mths. One step at a time.
+
Great Scott
post 15.May.2014, 07:39 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (yorkie redux @ 14.May.2014, 05:06 PM) *
Cheaper cities will be in the North, such as Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool, Sheffield or York. I can vouch for Sheffield, it's very nice, with good access to the Peak Distr ... (show full quote)

Why not Essex, it has the best connection to Sweden on its door step, has the best possibility of jobs, close to London and tons of things to do.
+
yorkie redux
post 15.May.2014, 12:07 PM
Post #14

It's not Essex, it's the people.

It has a culture rich in gypsy travellers and junior gangster types.

If that floats your boat then go for it.
+
yorkie redux
post 15.May.2014, 12:07 PM
Post #15

It's not Essex, it's the people.

It has a culture rich in gypsy travellers and junior gangster types.

If that floats your boat then go for it.
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
5 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: