The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Job in UK

Swedish family move to UK

Somebody
post 15.May.2014, 02:26 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (viahero2k7 @ 14.May.2014, 03:23 PM) *
I can stay any where in UK ,but I dont know where smile.gif this why am asking ,good,secure ,cheap city ,any recommendations ?

relax man...relax smile.gif
Each big city in the UK, like everywhere else in the world, has better and worse areas.
Generally you might feel a little unsafe after dusk when you compare it to rich areas in Sweden.
You, as a Swede, would probably also be a "perfect prey" for chavs smile.gif
Generally look for the places with good schools...they are much more expensive, but usually much safer..
I would go for Manchaster or Bristol.

Can you work in any location in the UK? how does this work ? no "fixed" office?
Go to the top of the page
+
eurogoose
post 15.May.2014, 03:25 PM
Post #17

Hi there - you really do need to think carefuly about how you are going to get to work as the roads in the UK are so terribly congested. You need to choose a city that has good railway connections and good access to the Motorway system. If your employer is based in the North, you may want to consider Manchester. It has pretty much everything that you could want in a city. Leeds would be another good choice if it is anywhere near your employer. Avoid London at ALL costs!!!

As for National Insurance numbers, contact a local HMRC (Tax) Office or even your local Job Centre Plus. They would be able to help you no doubt.

The advice you have been given already about coming alone for the first six months is VERY good advice indeed. If you are going to rent a property you will find that most agreements are for six months at a time, so if you took out an agreement on a small place just for yourself you would be able to search around for somewhere bigger (and maybe a change of area depending on how you find it over in the UK). It would seem pointless taking out an agreement on a 'family' sized property if it is only you going to be living in it for the first six months.

As I have said, Manchester has a lot going for it in terms of life and culture. Within a short drive there is a lot of beautiful countryside, and the beautiful Snowdonia National Park in North Wales is great for a day trip (Mountains, coastal areas etc.)

Once again, if your employers Offices are in the South of the country it would be silly to locate yourself in the North (or anywhere other than the South really!) as travel by road in the UK can be - to say the least - exhausting...especially on anything like a regular basis.

I have recently moved to Sweden from the UK (I am English) to resettle here and get married to my fiancee.

If you have any other questions I will be glad to help.

Best regards,

Jonathan
+
eurogoose
post 15.May.2014, 03:33 PM
Post #18

P.S.- I don't know if Sweden issue 'European Health Insurance Cards' but that is what I had to apply for and bring with me to Sweden. This entitles me to Health Care at local cost in any EU country. I will use it until I am issued with my Personummer. Without an EHIC card you would probably have to pay for any medical treatment privately (and more expensively). Maybe you will have some kind of health care package with your new employers in UK? Best to be prepared in advance though. Once you have decided where you will live you will need to find out where your nearest Doctors surgery is and go register with them as a new patient..
+
eurogoose
post 15.May.2014, 03:45 PM
Post #19

PPS. - before I moved out here to Sweden I was visiting regularly. I used Norwegian.com and flew from Manchester. Their flights were always great value - especialy if booked some time in advance. I got some really knock-down deals that way. My home was in Cheshire, but it was just so so easy to jump on a train that took me directly to Manchester airport for flights. That way I avoided all the driving AND the excessive car-parking charges that you get at all airports these days..
+
viahero2k7
post 15.May.2014, 06:39 PM
Post #20

Thanks all ! about my work its virtual you can say any where in UK ,so what am looking for easy to commute ,not expensive ,secure ,peace and family place to live ,appreciating all suggestions about Manchester ,any other suggestions ? Eurogoose,any idea about registering my wife and kids in UK ? as for me I can through my employee but what about my family ,I was checking the website but I was losted ,as its not clear for the EU citizens how to be registered there if not working ?
thanks for the suggestions about staying alone for 6 months ,but I dont think it will work as I have small kids and need to help with smile.gif thanks all and looking for more suggestions
+
viahero2k7
post 16.May.2014, 03:52 AM
Post #21

Hi eurogoose

what about Newcastle ? its nice and cheap for few months as I saw onlline what do you think about it ?
+
skogsbo
post 16.May.2014, 05:50 AM
Post #22

QUOTE (viahero2k7 @ 16.May.2014, 03:52 AM) *
Hi eurogoose . what about Newcastle ? its nice and cheap for few months as I saw onlline what do you think about it ?

airport is useless. No flights to Sweden. They don't even fly to Copenhagen anymore.

It's cheap for a reason. Better to live in North Yorkshire, Co. Durham, Cumbria, Lancashire... travel to Manchester for flights, but live miles out from their desperate road network. I spent 2hrs driving 20miles(30km) to the airport in the morning the last time I was there.

ps. you really will be causing yourself a huge amount of stress trying to move everyone over from day1. Especially if you are already asking simply question here about HMRC etc. unless your company will pay for someone to do all the admin for you.
+
viahero2k7
post 16.May.2014, 05:58 AM
Post #23

North Yorkshire ? about the airport its not only for Sweden, for international flights but no often ,
what I need to settle down in secure ,not expensive *because i was checking reading and London waw * plus too much traffic, so I need the help of the British ppl ,

about moving the whole family ,yes I agree with you its scandal ,because until now am not able to figure where to move first because I dont have any specific location in UK ,so it become my priority to find family secure ,and cheap * as its not like Sweden smile.gif every where somehow the same !* but in UK ,for ex in reading 2 beds apartment pass the 1000P the same in Leeds around 300 ! and so on but I need some expert advice ,as even for my self to keep on jumping in UK ,it wont be fun smile.gif appreciating your help all
+
viahero2k7
post 16.May.2014, 06:09 AM
Post #24

btw,when you are talking about cheap ,do you mean the rent only ?
+
viahero2k7
post 16.May.2014, 08:57 AM
Post #25

I called HMRC this morning sad.gif the guy simply asked me to search the internet ! but my question what about my family ,how to register them there ?
+
Somebody
post 16.May.2014, 11:35 PM
Post #26

QUOTE (viahero2k7 @ 16.May.2014, 07:57 AM) *
I called HMRC this morning sad.gif the guy simply asked me to search the internet ! but my question what about my family ,how to register them there ?

Do not worry about administration part that much...being an organized Swede you will sort all out in less than a week.
once you have a job there will be no problem with insuring your family and so on.

I would avoid Leeds. It is not the safest place...

But the main question is: do you really have to be live in a big city?
have you considered living in a town located close to a big city?
better for kids/ green/cheaper/heathier/often chav free

you have to be prepared to buy a car there anyway...
public transport (maybe except London) is nothing to compare to with a Swedish one.
used mostly by kids, scumbags and grannies...not as cheap as here either

I do not know how old your kids are, but a good school should
be one of the key factors when picking a place to live.

Good luck!
+
viahero2k7
post 17.May.2014, 02:41 AM
Post #27

QUOTE (eurogoose @ 15.May.2014, 04:45 PM) *
PPS. - before I moved out here to Sweden I was visiting regularly. I used Norwegian.com and flew from Manchester. Their flights were always great value - especialy if booked s ... (show full quote)

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 16.May.2014, 06:50 AM) *
airport is useless. No flights to Sweden. They don't even fly to Copenhagen anymore.It's cheap for a reason. Better to live in North Yorkshire, Co. Durham, Cumbria, La ... (show full quote)

QUOTE (Somebody @ 17.May.2014, 12:35 AM) *
Do not worry about administration part that much...being an organized Swede you will sort all out in less than a week.once you have a job there will be no problem with insurin ... (show full quote)

Yes I consider small town as I am living in a small town neat to Goteborg,I dont like cities smile.gif about the kids they are small 2 and 3 years ,I was checking Newcastle its cheap and ppl saying its peaceful place ,what do you think about it ? any other suggestions ? as long as I have good internet connection at my home its enough ,and in case I need to fly I will travel to the airport ,and this is not going to be the case for the 1st few months at least ,thanks in advance for your help
+
viahero2k7
post 17.May.2014, 02:58 AM
Post #28

Swedish driving license does it work in UK ?
+
Great Scott
post 17.May.2014, 10:19 AM
Post #29

QUOTE (viahero2k7 @ 17.May.2014, 03:58 AM) *
Swedish driving license does it work in UK ?

100% yes, go here to find out.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence-

You should end up with this. If the picture does not show click on text should then open.

Attached Image
+
viahero2k7
post 17.May.2014, 07:27 PM
Post #30

QUOTE (Great Scott @ 17.May.2014, 11:19 AM) *
100% yes, go here to find out.. https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence-. You should end up with this. If the picture does not show click on text should then open..
Attached Image

Thanks ,what about small villages ? any suggestions ?
+

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: