The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Looking for work

HGV 1 driving job wanted

sismith73
post 14.Aug.2012, 02:03 PM
Post #1

Moving over to Sweden with the family. Anyone know of any driving jobs around Helsingborg area.national or international.
Go to the top of the page
+
Rick Methven
post 14.Aug.2012, 04:25 PM
Post #2

Do you speak Swedish fluently?

There are many threads on TL re HGV work in Sweden and the requirement to speak Swedish
+
skogsbo
post 14.Aug.2012, 04:33 PM
Post #3

you'll see from the other threads that your chances are small. If you have the new Euro truck course done, ADR, hiab, fork lifts.. you may get lucky, provided your Swedish is improving. Better to use your partners family to help find an opening in ANY job, whilst you learn the lingo.

other option is to go owner driver, but finding work and making it pay without speaking or reading Swedish will be just as hard, it not harder.
+
Schomberg
post 14.Aug.2012, 05:47 PM
Post #4

It's doable but like skogsbo said, without swedish and more importantly without knowing anyone, you're chances are cut dramatically. Sweden is all about who you know so start with your family members. Good luck!
+
drubb
post 14.Aug.2012, 07:21 PM
Post #5

What year did you get your hgv license?
+
sismith73
post 15.Aug.2012, 09:45 AM
Post #6

1995 I speak fluent English and German. sounds like it could be a night mare. I've done plenty of EU work heavy haulage , fridge , multi drop etc.
+
drubb
post 15.Aug.2012, 06:10 PM
Post #7

I think it is doable. Knowing german will help also. The thing is that around 2015/16 you will have to take a course YKB that will be in swedish and is 35 hours long as you took the license pre 2008/9.
A lot of companies will ask for ADR and forklift.
+
Gordy
post 15.Aug.2012, 10:47 PM
Post #8

I find se.indeed.com an easy jobs search to use, just use the keyword lastbil and take it from there. Not too many HGV jobs on there at the moment though.

I'm down in Trelleborg and a lot of traffic comes through the port here from Europe. An awful lot of the Swedish registered trailers coming in are being pulled by Eastern European tractors so whilst it doesn't say much for your chances of getting a job I doubt that many of those drivers speak Swedish.

Your German will certainly be an advantage and in any local companies I collect from the goods in/out staff all speak English so I wouldn't be too put off by the talk of having to have good Swedish, especially if you are going to do international work.
+
skogsbo
post 16.Aug.2012, 07:46 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (drubb @ 15.Aug.2012, 05:10 PM) *
I think it is doable. Knowing german will help also. The thing is that around 2015/16 you will have to take a course YKB that will be in swedish and is 35 hours long as you to ... (show full quote)

It's all driven by an EU directive.
So he could do the Certificate of Professional Competence course now in the UK(35hrs), get his Driver Qualification Card in the UK and it would be valid until 9 Sep 2019, so plenty of time to learn the language, before the EU dreams up another meaningless course for all drivers to carry out.

Regardless of what nation they are in, all EU drivers will need a CPC course before 9 Sep 2014.

I only know this because I have the licence, but I rarely use it and only then for personal use, not commerical, which at the moment means I'm exempt from the CPC.

Obviously even though it's EU wide, only northern europe will comply and the rest of europe will keeping on trucking regardless.
+
drubb
post 16.Aug.2012, 04:27 PM
Post #10

Regardless of what nation they are in, all EU drivers will need a CPC course before 9 Sep 2014

Its 2015 for yrkes chaufförer and 2016 for lastbil chaufförer in sweden
+
skogsbo
post 16.Aug.2012, 05:59 PM
Post #11

why does Sweden's dates for bus and lorries differ to that from the rest of the EU? It's for the better as this gives folks more time, perhaps it because the tests in Sweden are already encompassing some the syllabus?
+
Schomberg
post 16.Aug.2012, 06:26 PM
Post #12

You probably will find work. eventually. But it'll most likely be hourly as oppossed to a fastjobb, either full or part time. Just be prepared for that. I've been here five years and the majority of my previous jobs have been hourly, which usually means you get a schedule for say two weeks, then you wait and see if you get more. usually you do, but it'd a constant worry wondering what your pay packet will be like next month. Good luck mate!
+
Nevironn
post 16.Aug.2012, 06:31 PM
Post #13

hey.

I'm currently finishing my schooling, I live in South Africa. I'm looking for an opportunity to work + start a life in Sweden. can anyone help me? I'm available to start working from 28th of November...
e-mail me nevironn@gmail.com if you can help me please, I'd really appreciate it. I'll do anything from cleaning pots to sweeping floors as long as I can survive.

Thank You.

Ps. If anyone can help me please do... any tips, advice will be appreciated.
+
sismith73
post 18.Aug.2012, 11:06 AM
Post #14

Thanks everyone. i have my cpc and fork licence so i guess i should try and do my ADR as it has run out 7 years ago. I'm excited about the move but nervous as well. i Worked for an Italian years ago we only spoke German together.
+
skogsbo
post 18.Aug.2012, 02:50 PM
Post #15

i don't there is masses of ADR work here, but it gives you more options. There certainly isn't the scale of homes fueled by tanker, oil or lpg etc. but that's only one avenue, there are others.

Another option is timber hauling, from forest roadsides to mills etc..
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: