The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Bank account in Sweden

Working with a job contract

Carlos254
post 13.Jun.2017, 05:46 PM
Post #1

Hi guys,
I recently got a job,have a personal number and tried opening an account in several banks,but non is willing to open an account for me!They say i should try again after 6 months,is this even legal?I have a job contract,dont know how am gonna get paid
Go to the top of the page
+
yet another brit
post 13.Jun.2017, 09:48 PM
Post #2

I'm not sure that "legal" is the right discussion...it would be illegal if you could prove discrimination, I suppose.

Banks are obliged to provide an account to anyone resident in the EU who asks. It may be a shitty account that gives you nothing but a Maestro card, but still. The twist is that they are required to confirm the identity of the customer - and how they care to prove this is up to them. Thus, banks may tell you that you "need" a Swedish ID card, personal number and Swedish address, though this is in fact not necessarily so - all you need is be legally resident in the EU. At the same time, from what I understand, there isn't a standard for what evidence is actually required.

So, tool up with a personbevis (evidence of civic registration in Sweden from the tax office, which will include your personal number), an ID - any passport should work, and maybe also a copy of your work contract. Also, print out this page :

http://www.konsumenternas.se/betala/betala/ratt-till-konto

and take it with you.
+
Carlos254
post 14.Jun.2017, 09:37 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (Newbie2017 @ 13.Jun.2017, 09:39 PM) *
Hi Carlos254,You should actually be able to get a personnummer without waiting for your residence permit, on the basis of your marriage to an EU citizen. First you need to mak ... (show full quote)

QUOTE (yet another brit @ 13.Jun.2017, 10:48 PM) *
I'm not sure that "legal" is the right discussion...it would be illegal if you could prove discrimination, I suppose.Banks are obliged to provide an account to a ... (show full quote)

Thanks alot,will try this and see what happens, I thought after the hustle of getting a personnummer then swedish id card then job would make things Smooth, how i was wrong!
+
the_austrian
post 14.Jun.2017, 11:55 AM
Post #4

Hi Carlos,

I was in the same situation as you. I had a PN, but not yet an ID card, and they were not willing to open an account for me as long as I did not have the ID card.

Then, they opened an account and only gave me the Maestro card even though I am from the EU, had the ID card, and had a tillsvidare work contract.

Only then I went to another branch and they said "it was ridiculous" that I only got a Maestro card, but at least I could receive my salary.

Prior to that, my place of work was kind enough to send my salary into my Austrian bank account.

Try to get the ID card as soon as possible - it is SEK400 application fee, which you have to pay in advance into Skatteverket's account.

Best wishes
+
wallace1837
post 14.Jun.2017, 12:11 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (the_austrian @ 14.Jun.2017, 11:55 AM) *
Try to get the ID card as soon as possible - it is SEK400 application fee, which you have to pay in advance into Skatteverket's account.

Which you have to pay using your bank account - catch 22.
+
Gjeebes
post 14.Jun.2017, 12:58 PM
Post #6

Carlos, this is Sweden, where they haven't discovered smooth yet (smooth is too non-lagom).

And your passport will likely not help you, since Swedes have yet to comprehend its utility, unless it is a Swedish one. For example, I cannot use mine to pick up my post.

You can possibly try to take your boss with you to a bank. Perhaps the bean-counters behind the window (who pose as human) at the bank will be slightly less snotty if there is a Swede present, and vouching for you.

The Swedish model: your problems are only beginning.
+
the_austrian
post 14.Jun.2017, 01:45 PM
Post #7

Hi Wallace,

I used my Austrian account to transfer the amount - it worked well. Perhaps Carlos has that option, too. smile.gif
+
Carlos254
post 14.Jun.2017, 04:58 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (the_austrian @ 14.Jun.2017, 02:45 PM) *
Hi Wallace,. I used my Austrian account to transfer the amount - it worked well. Perhaps Carlos has that option, too. smile.gif

Yeah its a cache 22,i have applied for the card,paid through my wife's account,will apply for an account online when i get the id card and after i have set it up with mobile bankid and see what happens.
+
LLHope
post 14.Jun.2017, 09:19 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (yet another brit @ 13.Jun.2017, 09:48 PM) *
Banks are obliged to provide an account to anyone resident in the EU who asks.

Not entirely correct. Banks cannot discriminate against EU citizens based upon nationality nor place of residence, it isn't quite as simple as saying they are obliged to provide accounts to EU residents. They can also refuse you an account if you already have an account with a bank in that member state.
QUOTE (yet another brit @ 13.Jun.2017, 09:48 PM) *
The twist is that they are required to confirm the identity of the customer - and how they care to prove this is up to them. Thus, banks may tell you that you "need" ... (show full quote)

Slight correction. Proving identify is a legal requirement, the banks cannot choose as such how they do that, there is a legal requirement that the identity of the person, legal entity, beneficiary is confirmed by the provision of documents etc. from independent sources. Technically, providing your EU Passport should suffice, however it is unreasonable to have the bank to be able to detect forged documents. Being resident in the EU is NOT the only requirement, being able to prove who you are is absolutely a requirement (however there are provisions in the legislation that makes it also a requirement to somehow make it possible for people waiting for asylum decisions, illegals etc... to have bank accounts!)

In Sweden there is also additional legislation that requires banks to allow anyone who is making a deposit to open an account. If the bank refuses then it must also have a very good reason, just ask for it in writing wink.gif ...not being able to prove identity adequately is one of the accepted reasons.
+

Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: