The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

183 day rule

tax query

barrytyler80
post 1.May.2019, 10:18 PM
Post #1

If a person arrives to live in Sweden in August (so less than 183days), do they pay tax on Worldwide Income for that year (in particular UK lamdlord rental income) if they are planning on residing in Sweden for the following two years.

Ta
Go to the top of the page
+
skogsbo
post 2.May.2019, 05:49 AM
Post #2

You have 50000kr/per person rental income allowance here to cover all deductibles. Are you likely to exceed that in 5 months? So it might not matter.
+
barrytyler80
post 2.May.2019, 07:26 PM
Post #3

I'd probably receive about £8000 pounds from when I arrive perhaps in Sweden. So exceeds the allowance given by Sweden for rental. But the rental being in UK and my being there this year for less than the 183 days, I assumed I would not need to declare the Worldwide income to Sweden.

Also, while I am here...are you able to confirm or clarify what the 20percent of rental income allowance extra I have seen spoken of with regards to rentals. Is this true and in addition to the standard allowance already available?

Thanks
+
Temp
post 3.May.2019, 05:50 PM
Post #4

Use the Skatteverket help form to calculate your tax on rental. https://www.skatteverket.se/privat/etjanste...3680002386.html

There are 2 out of 4 allowances. A general one (40 000kr) and one depending on the type of property you have. If you're looking at the 20% allowance, then you are talking about a småhus or a ägarlägenhet.

From the form:

"Avdrag
3. Schablonavdrag, 40 000 kr.
4. Vid uthyrning av småhus eller ägarlägenhet - 20% av hyresintäkten
5. Vid uthyrning av bostadsrätt, - den del av avgiften som avser det som
hyrts ut och som inte är kapitaltillskott
6. Vid uthyrning av hyresrätt, - den del av hyran som avser det som hyrts ut"
+
skogsbo
post 3.May.2019, 07:44 PM
Post #5

Most accountants, estate agents and economic advisors consider the 20% in addition to the 40000kr base allowance. Making the presumption they are renting out a home, not business premises. But yes, if you follow the actual tax annex on the SV website you'll get a precise figure of what is due.
+
barrytyler80
post 12.May.2019, 10:17 PM
Post #6

I looked at form...can it be completed online in English do you know? Thanks. Can'tr seem to find in English.

Also, do you know how the difference in tax years fiddles things? I mean, the UK HMRC want the Self Assessment returned at end of January 31st for the previous year, but Sweden want it in May for the previous calendar year. I won't be able to tell Sweden how much tax I've paid due to different alignments so how does that all work. Can't find answer anywhere!!!
+
Hanna Denize
post 31.May.2019, 11:19 AM
Post #7

1. When you arrive to Sweden with the intention to become resident and you get the ID number it is one of the main factors for authorities to treat you as a Swedish tax subject. (this is however not the only factor) The time starts clicking from the moment you arrive so if you arrived in August and applied for personnummer indicating that you want to settle here, you usually get a so called unlimited tax liability (you have to declare your global income). You declare it for income earned from August onward so any income before August is declared abroad.
2. You continue to declare your rental income in the UK because in the UK you have to declare all the income earned in the country. Both countries, Sweden and the UK, want to tax you on rental income from August to December and to avoid this double taxation you ask Skatteverket to reduce your tax by the tax you pay in the UK. As you know the tax year in the UK is different than in Sweden. So when you complete your declaration in Sweden, you declare your foreign income, you say that you want the foreign tax to be deducted but you are not sure how much it will be and as soon as you have final tax decisions from HMRC (for both years in question) you send them to Skatteverket who will then decide how much to deduct.
3. There are different tax rules for renting private property and business property. There is a list of criteria for a property to be classified as private. If criteria are not fulfilled, you may have to declare your property as business property and your income is taxed as business income
If you need help with your declarations, contact me through dinvinst.com
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: