The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »    Reply to this topic

Women filtered out by Swedish recruiters

Sir Wobbly Camel
post 22.May.2006, 01:29 PM
Post #16

I wonder if this is the same in Småland - let me explain...

To hire a man on higher wages costs the company more. Add to that the social costs, pension and all the rest and the cost of hiring a man should be much higher than hiring a woman.

Now, in most employment ads I've seen, apart from the fact that they outline that you should have fluency in Swedish, a lot of them ask specifically for females (I've never seen one that asks only for men).

Anyway; we all know that those in Småland are branded as tight-arses, so how does it work down there? :roll:
laugh.gif laugh.gif

:twisted:
Go to the top of the page
+
*Guest*
post 22.May.2006, 01:30 PM
Post #17

so what's the problem? :twisted:
+
Sir Wobbly Camel
post 22.May.2006, 01:55 PM
Post #18

You obviously did not get it...
Are you employed?? laugh.gif

:twisted:
+
Scouser In Stockholm
post 22.May.2006, 02:12 PM
Post #19

i have a top education from UK and am of indian origin.I worked for the 2 global consultancies in stockholm. i was the only non white out of 700 employees.i was told by my boss that i should spk swedish in order to be accepted.this despite all of our work being done in english.during one month, 4 females were promoted - only one was deserving - no men were promoted.when i left the company i couldnt find a suitable job for over 10 months and decided to go back to UK.the jobs i applied for always went to a swedish person and on 4 occassions a swedish woman.i was told by recruitment companies that there was pressure to employ women in senior positions and the fact i was non nordic didnt help.in my mind , sweden is clearly a racist, xenophobic country.all the propaganda about women finding it hard to be successful in sweden is a myth.
+
*Guest*
post 22.May.2006, 02:16 PM
Post #20

if you take that as racism then that's too bad, there are plenty of swedes with top education here who have been unemployed for several years, this is not an immigrant problem only, but it's always easy to make yourself a victim
+
Scouser In Stockholm
post 22.May.2006, 02:27 PM
Post #21

there is no need to patronise.i dont consider myself a victim but having studied at cambridge and with a MBA from Wharton there is cause for suspicion.when i returned to the london job market i managed to get 3 job offers for similar roles within one month of returning.one of these roles was the same organisation that rejected me in sweden.i own an apartment in the centre of sweden and am still surprised by the looks that my fellow residents give me when i am in the building.when foreigners go to stores like stroms, nk they are viewed as criminals or timewasters. at the airport, the level of scrutiny that my passport receives is insulting - there are far more swedes coming to the UK to work in the black labour markets than there are UK citizens going to sweden. when i use a taxi in sweden, the driver is always exclusively non swedish eg iran,iraq etc and they tell me how they are qualified taechers, engineers etc but cant a job in sweden. so, tell me, if there isnt discrimination, how do you account for these observations?
+
*Guest*
post 22.May.2006, 02:31 PM
Post #22

The cab driver thing isn't something that is special for just Sweden, besides where I live most cab drivers are swedes, when I was in USA, none of our cab drivers were american from the beginning. Most of the recruitment in Sweden is based on contacts, without a big contact net you're toast, and it doesn't matter whether you are a swede or not then. But people should also understand that language plays a big part, this is Sweden, English is not our major language. And if people think that they can come here and only speak english and get top jobs, well maybe if you're lucky.
+
Scouser In Stockholm
post 22.May.2006, 02:43 PM
Post #23

i accept that there is racism everywhere but my biggest gripe with sweden is borne from this whole fictional notion that sweden is this utopia society where everyone is equal.whilst they try to address certain forms of discrimination - ie gender,sexuality based, there seems to be very little effort to address racial discrimination. in london, new york, munich, you can be a successful foreigner and treated with far more respect than you are in stockholm - and yet the US and Germany have major problems with racism also.maybe its just inherent in swedish people...
+
*Guest*
post 22.May.2006, 02:52 PM
Post #24

Who is claiming that Sweden is some sort of an utopia? it's the media abroad if anything. And I can agree that most of the equality have been focused on men/women. But what people don't understand is that the swedes without big contact nets are not a part of the society either. I've never gotten a job based on my merits, the only job I've had was via contacts.
+
Beth
post 22.May.2006, 02:52 PM
Post #25

QUOTE (Scouser In Stockholm)
i accept that there is racism everywhere but my biggest gripe with sweden is borne from this whole fictional notion that sweden is this utopia society where everyone is equal.whilst they try to address certain forms of discrimination - ie gender,sexuality based, there seems to be very little effort to address racial discrimination. in london, new york, munich, you can be a successful foreigner and treated with far more respect than you are in stockholm - and yet the US and Germany have major problems with racism also.maybe its just inherent in swedish people...

scouser, you yourself mentioned that there was an effort to recruit more women, at your expense. that indicates that even sweden accepts that it's not a utopian society where everyone and everything is equal.

there are efforts to tackle racism and racial discrimination. it's too little and not effective because they genuinely don't really know how or what to do. swedes are new to immigration in the modern world. swedes are "conservative" when it comes to change if it is too different than what they are comfortable with. swedes genuinely mean well, which makes it hard for them to accept that their "fair" treatment might in fact discriminate. it's certainly naive, but it's not malicious.

the cities you mention are larger and have a greater flow of "different" people. i don't think you could find more "international" cities than NY and london, so those aren't really fair for comparison.

i know someone moving to vienna. i wonder how "open" the austrians are to "foreigners"...i know they are exceptionally suspicious to women in positions of authority.
+
Alfredo
post 22.May.2006, 02:57 PM
Post #26

Beth, how do you know it's not malicious ...?
+
Sir Wobbly Camel
post 22.May.2006, 02:59 PM
Post #27

Out of curiousity Scouser, what position were you in where a Cambridge educted MBA was overlooked in an English-speaking environment by a Swedish female? Were you all in the same field, was the job position relevant to your studies and did you leave the company or did they kindly show you the door?

I must say; I've heard some whiney females in my time and certainly expected to hear more of it when this thread appeared, but I've been pleasantly suprised - so far it's only been us blokes! :oops:
+
Scouser In Stockholm
post 22.May.2006, 03:00 PM
Post #28

if sweden is uncomfortable with change and sweden does not know how to adapt to foreigners, then why did sweden vote to join the EU? other countries have seen rapid change, why is it so hard for sweden??
i am sorry but your attempts to explain the reasons behind racial discrimination dont wash with the many foreigners that come to sweden with the aim of making a positive contribution there. and the swedish government / power brokers are doing very little to change this...
+
*Guest*
post 22.May.2006, 03:02 PM
Post #29

One thing that also is important is that Sweden and Switzerland are the two countries in Europe who accept the most asylum seekers. And Sweden was never built on immigration, we didn't have to deal with it for real until the 1980's. Besides there's one heck of a difference between coming here for asylum reasons, or coming here for other reasons. In the 60's Swedish companies used to travel to Italy, Poland etc, to try to get people to come here and work. The situation is different now.
+
Scouser In Stockholm
post 22.May.2006, 03:07 PM
Post #30

airbourne camel - to answer your question. i worked for a corporate finance consultancy and this is where 4 swedish women were controversially promoted. when the M&A market stagnated in 2002, i lost my position but other employees were moved to other parts of the wider organisation - much to my frustration. i applied for a number of finance related roles thereafter - and i was pretty much explicitly told by the recruitment consultants for reasons why i was not given the job - "off the record - gender and being non swedish".
+

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: