Printable Version of Topic

Click here to view this topic in its original format

The Local _ Newcomers _ Private Health Insurance to obtain Personnummer

Posted by: AnnaDvdH 8.Feb.2017, 02:56 AM


I'm moving to Sweden next summer to study my masters degree. However, like many threads that I've read so far in this community have mentioned, getting a personnummer can be quite a pain.

Here is the problem, I am a EU citizen (Netherlands) that have never lived in the EU before, my whole life I've lived in Mexico. So, because of this I cannot apply or get the European health insurance card, or the S1 form or any of those documents, so my only hope to get a personnummer is to get a comprehensive private health insurance. But I've read that many people has gotten their personnummer applications denied even if using expensive private health care like BUPA or Cigna.

So I was wondering if anybody has been successful at getting their personnummer with a private health insurance and if you have then which one? I'm completely lost!


My other option is that I've been living in Mexico with my Swedish boyfriend for 6 years and of course we're considering marriage as an option. If I would enter Sweden as a Swedish citizen's wife would I need the insurance? which documentation would I need to get a personnummer? has anybody had a similar case?

I've been reading all the articles that seemed to apply to my case in the skatteverket and migrationsverket home pages but all of them assume that the couple has lived in the EU, they seem to ignore the fact that two EU citizens can meet and marry somewhere outside the EU! like the rest of the world doesn't count for them! it is quite weird and confusing!

Posted by: EuroMadeline 1.Jun.2017, 12:28 PM

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with IMG insurance?
Shopping for insurance is no fun! I feel like anything in the affordable range are all out to swindle me.

Posted by: Guest 28.Jun.2017, 12:11 AM

Hej! I'm looking for the same too. I'm in a similar condition, and its being really hard. I have Polish citizenship and they told me I could pay a private insurance in Poland to register there and then ask for the EHI Card. It doesn't seem really logic because I might need to go to Poland to do that.
If someone has gone through something similar it would be really helpful!

Posted by: LLHope 28.Jun.2017, 05:11 PM

Posted by: Guest 23.Oct.2017, 02:18 PM

Posted by: gsurya 23.Oct.2017, 04:35 PM

@Amy63 - this is absurd on the part of Skatteverket - it seems these days that they try every trick in the book to avoid taking in anyone except a taxpayer.

No medical/insurance policy anywhere is without exclusions, except the state guaranteed ones!

At the very least Skatteverket should be forced to specify publicly which Swedish Life/Health insurances are compliant with its own policy.

Posted by: netuserse 1.Nov.2017, 11:59 AM

I am happy to find this forum/post, a place to share our experiences.

I am in a similar situation. I am applying for family reunion. My wife is a Scandinavian already registered and living in Sweden. We have submitted the plan for review. They have rejected it for the reason that it is not comprehensive enough. I am including the response here in Swedish and English (translated by Google).

I understand that some exclusion items in the Platinum plan may be covered by the national insurance. So it is unrealistic to find a private health insurance that will match the national insurance. Skatteverket should provide a list of provides and plans that it will approve.

BTW, I know that students with study less than 1 year also need private health insurance. Do the requirement for those students the same as ours?


Jag har nu g?tt igenom det bifogade filen och uppgifter g?llande f?rs?kringen du avser att k?pa. Vad jag kan se s? kommer vi inte att kunna godk?nna den h?r typen av f?rs?kringen d? det inneh?ller en del begr?nsningar som inte ing?r i till?tna undantag.

- Undantag fr?n detta ?r f?ljande begr?nsningar som ?r till?tna: tandv?rd, fertilitetsbehandlingar, frivilliga sk?nhetsingrepp, force majeure situationer (t ex vid krig/naturkatastrofer), f?rebyggande h?lsov?rd (t ex icke medicinskt motiverade h?lsounders?kningar), vaccinationer, v?rd av skador till f?ljd av deltagande i officiella idrottst?vlingar eller tr?ning inf?r s?dana t?vlingar, v?rd av skador till f?ljd av s.k. riskfyllda aktiviteter, t.ex. fallsk?rmshoppning).


I have now reviewed the attached file and information regarding the insurance you intend to purchase. What I can see, we will not be able to approve this type of insurance as it contains some limitations that are not included in permitted exceptions.

- Exceptions to this are the following limitations: dental care, fertility treatment, voluntary beauty, force majeure situations (eg in case of war / natural disasters), preventive health care (eg non-medically motivated health surveys), vaccinations, care for injuries resulting from participation in official sports competitions or training for such competitions, care of injuries resulting from sk risky activities, such as skydiving).

Posted by: netuserse 1.Nov.2017, 12:35 PM

Here are some relevant posts.

"In evaluating private insurance policies, the Tax Agency requires that several conditions be met. The policy must be personal, and must not have a monetary ceiling for necessary health care. Private insurance policies may contain no disclaimers that deny coverage for certain complaints, and they must cover health care for injuries resulting from sports, risky activities, and so on.

The National Board of Trade contacted about twenty insurance companies to learn whether they sell insurance policies that comply with these criteria. None of them do."

Posted by: Guest 1.Nov.2017, 05:38 PM

Posted by: RAFS 3.Nov.2017, 01:03 PM

With the difficulty of getting health insurance accepted, I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to register as self-employed?

This says the business doesn't need to be operational yet at the time you register.

Posted by: yuyu2809 13.Nov.2017, 05:54 PM

I am in a similar situation to that of OP, except that I'm not even a student, I just moved here with my Swedish girlfriend to find a job.

I have already started the application to "move to somebody in Sweden" with Migrationsverket, so I'll post any updates about that here. Good luck to everybody!

Posted by: Cheeseroller 13.Nov.2017, 08:33 PM

QUOTE (RAFS @ 3.Nov.2017, 01:03 PM) *
With the difficulty of getting health insurance accepted, I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to register as self-employed?

This says the business doesn't need to be operational yet at the time you register.

This is easier?

your F-tax card (tax card for the self-employed)
a marketing plan
a registration certificate for the company
lease contract for the necessary premises
proof of previous experience and skills
receipts or invoices for purchased material
your VAT accounting documents
deed of transfer for the acquisition of an existing business.

Posted by: RAFS 13.Nov.2017, 08:46 PM

If that gets you a personnummer and expensive private health insurance does not then yes, it's easier.

You don't have to provide all of those documents, either, just enough to convince SV. But hey, I haven't tried it, I'm just throwing an idea out there.

Posted by: sandy1989 13.Dec.2017, 01:42 PM

Good day,


I was just reviewing my offer of employment with my employer and certified relocation firm who will be applying on my behalf.

I noticed instead of health insurance I'm covered by long term sick insurance. Are these the same? my certified relocation firm says so. I just want to get it clear. I don't want any troubles later on in my application because of this. Rest all the other insurances are covered.

Please advise



Posted by: AnnaDvdH 27.Jul.2020, 09:23 PM

Powered by Invision Power Board (
© Invision Power Services (