The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Safety of electrical devices from the UK

Will my television work in Sweden?

Lingonberry
post 29.Jan.2014, 11:48 AM
Post #1

I
Go to the top of the page
+
Hallander
post 29.Jan.2014, 11:58 AM
Post #2

Rest assured, everything will work. Everything you describe will be ok. All will work with adaptors, though a serious recommendation is to get an electrician or competent other to change the plugs as appropriate. Your TV is so new that it will work anywhere. Just as long as you have the instructions to do the set up again from the beginning. That will ask what country you are in, what language you want to use, the rest will be taken care of. Your clocks should also work, the signals are more general than just UK , but might depend on manufacture.

Glad to here you are going to make the move permanent this time.

Hallander, previously posting as Johno
+
skogsbo
post 29.Jan.2014, 12:04 PM
Post #3

Everything will work just fine, I would just replug everything that doesn't have an inbuilt transformer, as you'll get fed up using adaptors everywhere.

It won't be cheap to bring everything over, so I would consider the replacement cost for new here and how many potential years life is left in what you have. It might be cheaper to just pay dhl etc. To slow time ship a few big boxes, than pay a removal firm several grand to drive over.
+
Lingonberry
post 29.Jan.2014, 02:50 PM
Post #4

Thanks both of you - that's good news and I didn't know that you could get the plugs changed. So I'll bring anything that has a reasonable life left, including the clocks as they are very useful. I still have the TV instructions.

One of the reasons why I ended up going back to the UK two years ago was that I didn't bring everything and make it a permanent move. I managed without a TV and a microwave, which was a mistake really. I kept going back to the UK for a few weeks and carrying more stuff to Sweden. This time I am determined to make a success of it. I know it is expensive but I think it will be easier for me to have a removal company bring everything. I've been busy selling lots of books on Amazon and loads of things on eBay. I've even sold the fish and the fish tank, but I still have a lifetime of possessions, a lot of them Swedish and Finnish. I have also found out that my pension is classed as a public pension and won't be taxed at a higher rate so that will make a lot of difference to me, and one of my sons is planning to move to Denmark so if I move to southern Sweden this time, we will not be so far apart.

I had my flat on the market for a few months last year and there was some interest but no offers. I've lowered the price a bit, de-cluttered even more and I'm hoping that it will sell this spring as the property market is beginning to pick up. So hopefully I will be in Sweden before the end of the year. I must get back to learning more Swedish again.
+
Hallander
post 29.Jan.2014, 03:08 PM
Post #5

Pop up advt trouble - duplication - see below.
+
Hallander
post 29.Jan.2014, 03:10 PM
Post #6

I certainly remember your postings about trying to sort out life in your apartment, and then selling up.

(With a memory like an elephant, I remember then one otherwise sane contributor on here assuring you that you wouldnt have trouble taking a microwave home on the bus, when you said you had no transport. I thought at the time that (she) had never carried one more than a few feet !)

About the plugs. EU rules have made everyone move to moulded plugs, but the Swedish rules on household electrical repairs are quite clear. If you are competent, you can change plugs, and spare plugs are easily bought. http://www.clasohlson.com/se/b/El/Sladdar-...ag/Stickproppar (For advice see http://www.elsakerhetsverket.se/Global/Pub...rhetspocket.pdf . Download a copy - it also explains about the old style house fuses I remember you asking on here about a couple of years ago) But take adaptors to get you going. They are fine and make the earth connection necessary for safety.
+
Lingonberry
post 29.Jan.2014, 03:57 PM
Post #7

You have got a good memory! And I also remember how you helped me with some other questions about electrical fuses and so on. It was rather an old flat but very good even so. I was no Pippi Longstocking when it came to carrying a microwave. Thanks for the links - I'll check them out.
+
Mart123
post 29.Jan.2014, 04:49 PM
Post #8

My favourite trick for an area where you want to have a lot of UK bought items (AV corner, kitchen, etc)... bring a UK 5-way extension cord, and just change the plug on that. Works like a charm, and your friends have somewhere to charge their phones when they come!
+
Mart123
post 29.Jan.2014, 04:52 PM
Post #9

Oh, and as for moulded plugs, just cut them off and wire in a new SE plug... assuming you know how to [safely] wire a UK plus, you'll be fine with the SE ones.
+
Lingonberry
post 29.Jan.2014, 07:46 PM
Post #10

OK thanks, good idea. I have a couple of extension leads with multiple sockets so I'll bring them in case they are useful. Sadly though I don't have as many friends as you wanting to charge their mobiles !
+
joshr
post 29.Jan.2014, 08:08 PM
Post #11

+
Mart123
post 30.Jan.2014, 09:18 AM
Post #12

Just thought I'd also mention to check out the prices of TVs especially on (for example) El Giganten's website. There are some pretty good deals on the lower models right now, so it might make more sense to just buy one here rather than pay shipping. Of course if you have a top notch 3D whizz bang, super duper 4k TV, then it might be another story.
+
Lingonberry
post 12.Dec.2014, 09:41 AM
Post #13

Hi to everyone who answered all my questions earlier this year.
I finally made it to Sweden with all my worldly goods.
I was just wondering if anyone has ever bought online a Swedish power cable for an iMac?
If so, can you tell me where you got it from please?
+
Gordy
post 12.Dec.2014, 11:06 AM
Post #14

Any standard IEC power cable will do the job. So will be available from any local electrical store. It doesn't have to be specific to Apple. If in doubt bring the transformer block with you.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: