Reply to this topic

PUT for Brit in Sweden

Necessary because of Brexit?

JonG
post 12.Jul.2018, 07:13 AM
Post #1

I'm a Brit who has been living in Sweden for about 2 years now, and when I arrived I looked at the migrationsverket website which said that if you're an EU citizen and working then you don't need to apply for PUT as you have automatic right of residence.

Now however, with Brexit looming and the UK/EU politicians looking less and less capable of coming to a sensible agreement, I'm wondering if applying for PUT might be a wise move. My intention is to stay here permanently after all.

Just interested in hearing views and if anyone in a similar position has been through this and applied for or received PUT? Was it an easy process?
Go to the top of the page
+
Billy_UK
post 12.Jul.2018, 07:21 AM
Post #2

I’m not 100% sure but I think you can’t apply for PUT until you’ve been here for five years (if you’re here based on EU right of residence).
+
Svedallas
post 12.Jul.2018, 10:04 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (JonG @ 12.Jul.2018, 08:13 AM) *
I'm a Brit who has been living in Sweden for about 2 years now, and when I arrived I looked at the migrationsverket website which said that if you're an EU citizen and ... (show full quote)

You have to probably apply as a non EU.

So probably have to get a work permit or student visa, or based on family or spouse ties.

It takes several years to get a PUT. And usually for those who have family or a spouse, or have met the minimum year requirement 4-5 years to apply for one.
+
JonG
post 12.Jul.2018, 11:14 AM
Post #4

Ok thanks, my misunderstanding I guess. After 5 years here I would expect to be applying to citizenship anyhow, so I suppose that alleviates the need for PUT.

So right now I guess I have to continue to wait to see how Brexit pans out to see whether I have to apply for something after March next year when UK leaves the EU.
+
Martian
post 12.Jul.2018, 11:22 AM
Post #5

I don't think you need to stress yourself much about this. As long as you have started exercising your treaty rights before the end of the transitional period (December 31st 2020) which is true in your case, you will still be eligile for PUT even after the end of the transition period. You must have exercised your treaty rights for up to 5 years before you are eligible for PUT. You have only 3 more years to go. Just continue living and enjoying your life in Sweden until then.
+
Svedallas
post 12.Jul.2018, 11:28 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (JonG @ 12.Jul.2018, 12:14 PM) *
Ok thanks, my misunderstanding I guess. After 5 years here I would expect to be applying to citizenship anyhow, so I suppose that alleviates the need for PUT. So right now I g ... (show full quote)

You have to meet the minimum PUT as well for citizenship. That is 5 years not if not married/sambo.

And with the new government, whoever it is, there will be stricter Swedish language rules to be able to get citizenship too.

There will be many changes after elections in fall. Be aware of that.
+
JonG
post 12.Jul.2018, 12:10 PM
Post #7

Thanks guys. In fact I am married and by next summer will have been married for 2 years and living here for 3 years, together with my wife for all 3 years (although only married for 2). As far as I know I might be able to apply for citizenship by mid next summer then, only complication is she's not and never has been "folkboksfödd" at the address where we live. She's still registered as living with her Mum, so probably this will screw up any attempt to use the shorter route to obtaining citizenship.
+
Svedallas
post 12.Jul.2018, 12:50 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (JonG @ 12.Jul.2018, 01:10 PM) *
Thanks guys. In fact I am married and by next summer will have been married for 2 years and living here for 3 years, together with my wife for all 3 years (although only marri ... (show full quote)

Then dont sweat.
+
john.boy
post 15.Jul.2018, 01:04 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Billy_UK @ 12.Jul.2018, 08:21 AM) *
I’m not 100% sure but I think you can’t apply for PUT until you’ve been here for five years (if you’re here based on EU right of residence).

It's 5 years for PUR (Permanent Right of Residency) not PUT, and you can be asked to prove that you have met the Right of Residence requirements for everyday during that 5 years.

No one knows yet what will happen once the UK exits the EU, those living as Right of Residence should keep an eye on the details, same for those with PUR, though I suspect they are on a safer seat.

What happens to people claiming Person of Sufficient means and have the EHIC as their insurance, they are probably on quite dodgy ground, especially since one can expect the EHIC to be withdrawn by the UK completely?
+
Case officer
post 15.Jul.2018, 09:33 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Svedallas @ 12.Jul.2018, 12:28 PM) *
You have to meet the minimum PUT as well for citizenship. That is 5 years not if not married/sambo.

No, OP must meet the requirements for permanent right of residence (PUR). Being married or living with a Swede does not count towards PUR.

To be eligible for citizenship you must have permanent status, either PUT or PUR.
+

Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: