The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

SFI level C test

*Grimelda*
post 13.Aug.2007, 10:12 AM
Post #1

I have an SFI level C test coming up soon. I searched this forum for hints but didn't find a whole lot. Is there anyone who knows of an online test exam that is of similar level of difficulty to the C test so I can practice?

I tried the placement tests on Folkuniversitet (http://www.folkuniversitetet.se/templates/...e.aspx?id=19417) but they were more difficult than what we have been doing in class. Does anyone know approximately which of these tests would be of similar difficulty to the SFI level C test?

Any other tips would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance for any help.
Go to the top of the page
+
*Mommik*
post 13.Aug.2007, 10:34 AM
Post #2

Perhaps you can check out the Skolverket website. I am not sure if these will be too hard for you, but makes for good practice esp. if you plan to take the National Prov. http://www.skolverket.se/sb/d/323

I am not sure where you go to school, but there have been a lot of budget cuts for SFI. They have thus made the C Prov easier to push folks into the D kurs so perhaps your test won't be so hard. Some folks even got bumped up to the next level without having to take the test.

Best of luck to you.
+
koalabear
post 13.Aug.2007, 12:24 PM
Post #3

It's probably not a test that you can study or really prepare for; except to say of course, watch tv, read the papers, work through class exercises etc.

Good preparation might be to think of a situation, for example, going on holiday and then write a letter to a friend about your holiday.

Can you interpret basic tables? Reading, comprehension.

It's all relatively basic stuff. It can basically be guaranteed that there will be 'odd' or 'strange' words in there. Ones that you've never seem before and might never see again, or older type unused words, or something.

Just relax, take it easy. It'll be fine.

biggrin.gif
+
Nuname
post 13.Aug.2007, 03:15 PM
Post #4

How hard did you search?

See this thread. http://www.thelocal.se/discuss/viewtopic.p...light=sfi++test
+
Benzed
post 13.Aug.2007, 06:32 PM
Post #5

I missed the official exam as I wanted to work instead to earn beer money. But the practice tests we did leading up to it were reeeeeally easy. If you´ve been putting in any kind of effort in class and at home, I reckon you´ll be fine.
+
*Grimelda*
post 13.Aug.2007, 07:03 PM
Post #6

Thanks for the input and advice. I appreciate it very much and it has helped my nerves a bit. The main worry is that in class we have been going very slowly and I was doing very well in all of our practice tests, but when I found some tests online they were quite a bit harder. The folkuniversitet ones in particular seem to be much more difficult than our practice tests in class.

Nuname: Thanks for the link. I had read that thread and it was helpful to discover that the C test doesn't have an oral component, but I was more looking for a guide as to the level of difficulty of the questions.

Thanks again everyone!
+
Puffin
post 23.Aug.2007, 05:22 PM
Post #7

how did it go?
+
Puffin
post 23.Aug.2007, 05:23 PM
Post #8

how did it go?
+
*Grimelda*
post 24.Aug.2007, 06:18 PM
Post #9

I think it went ok, thanks for asking. I'll record here what it involved for the sake of posterity, in case anyone in the future decides to search the board like I did.

It was a bit different to what I had expected after reading other posts here. There were three sections and the whole exam ran for four hours. The sections were 'läsa', 'höra' and 'skriva'.

Läsa was the longest section. It involved several different problems. One was to read an article and answer multiple choice questions about it. For eg, in the article the student says that her parents thought it was important to listen to children and that she wanted to be like them when she became a parent. The question asks what the student thought of her parents. The most correct answer was that they were good parents and thought children were important. So you needed to be able to comprehend not just match words. The next question involved reading an ad for a flat and answering MC questions such as -- how many rooms, running costs, address, etc. After that were some short texts to which you had to choose an appropriate title. Then there was a short scenario about a man dropping off his daughter at dagis. They gave you sentences the characters in the story said and you had to choose the correct response. The last part involved writing an invite to a party. You had to write the time, date and address, the reason for the party, directions to the location and contact information.

The 'höra' part involved two lots of MC questions. In the first they played a tape of different announcements and you needed to choose the location (flygplats, T-bana, restaurang and varuhus, I think). I found this more difficult that 'läsa' as my comprehension of spoken Swedish is pretty rotten. The remaining section used snippets of conversation by or about two people and you had to say what they were doing (eating breakfast, planning a party, moving into a flat, visiting a maternity ward, etc.) This was even more difficult than the first part, because the dialogue was sometimes confusing. Eg. In one snippet they two people were talking about the furnishings in a flat and what they thought of them. There were two options I thought possible: housewarming party or birthday party. The first time I listend I thought it was a housewarming but then the second time I realised they were talking about how old someone else was, which I then took to mean they were at a birthday party. I am still not sure which was correct. We ran through all the conversations twice.

The last part involved witing a 75 - 100 word letter on one of two subjects: a letter to a friend inviting them on a trip to visit a relative, or a letter to an important character from your childhood. I chose the first. Essentially you had to write inviting them along, address and sign it appropriately, include information about the destination and the people who will be visited and why the friend would enjoy coming along. I don't recall details for the other option.

So there it is. I don't know my result yet but I am pretty sure I passed.
+
Miss Kitten
post 24.Aug.2007, 07:52 PM
Post #10

This is a bit off topic but maybe somebody else has had a similar SFI experience. I never took any of the exams. They just kept moving me up. After startgrupp I was moved up to level A, then BC, and then CD, all within a six-month period. I felt that wasn't quite ready to handle level CD at the time, so I moved myself back down. It just seemed like they were in a big hurry to move me up and out of the system.
+
Puffin
post 26.Aug.2007, 12:12 PM
Post #11

It depends what your background is - many people from English speaking backgrounds skip levels A&B altogether and start at level C.

The aim is that people who have a reasonable educational level from their own country would complete SFI in a year - however it takes longer if your own language is from a completely different language group with a different alphabet etc - such as: arabic, chinese etc.
+
Pasha13
post 4.Dec.2013, 03:15 PM
Post #12

Thank you very much to the OP. You gave a thorough breakdown on what one should expect in nationell provet. I have one in a few days and i guess that the information here will guide me. It is a number of years since you posted this, but i understand they still use the same format.
Good luck to me :-) Tack s mycket
+
*vyseofhr*
post 24.Mar.2015, 12:21 PM
Post #13

Hej all.

I've just completed SFI C prov last week - so whilst I'm necro-posting in this topic, it might be relevant for anyone starting SFI now and wondering what format the tests take and what to expect... I'll link you to my blog on the topic - hope it helps someone!

Here: Broken Swenglish - SFI C cleared.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: