The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3   Reply to this topic

Salary, Lifestyle, Apartments, oh my!

Or: How to show you want/need validation

LimpingNinja
post 15.May.2019, 07:02 PM
Post #31

QUOTE (LimpingNinja @ 4.Oct.2018, 08:54 PM) *
I have set some reminders to come back and post about my trials and tribulations - the experiences I see - which may either contribute to the litany of complaints or provide a ... (show full quote)

Hello everyone,

I said I would set a reminder and I have indeed done so; my personal experiences have been really good so far - what that says for complainers here is not up to me.

1. The dreaded personnummer: For anyone who has applied for a passport, it really was no different. I came over with a Job Offer so I did the following: (1) Flew over 2 weeks in advance and applied for my (and families) UT card (Work Permit) - I made sure to get an appointment (Sundbyberg) and they saw me exactly at my appointment time, took my picture, and ask where I wanted it mailed. I told them I would pick it up, they said: Come back in 10 business days. (2) On my first day, I picked up my UT Card and went to the tax office, where I pulled a number and waited 5 minutes. I gave them all my documentation for myself and family: Work Contract, UT Cards, Birth Certificates for Kids, Passports, Marriage Certificate.

* The result? 10 days later I have my personnummer.

The biggest problem I had here with the personnummer is that you can't get internet, phone, etc. without one. Even then after receiving it a "credit check" won't run through so don't expect to get the 600MB internet connection 2 year contract with ComHem.

2. The housing: Oh my, this is a difficult one. Housing is expensive in Stockholm but it is not unavailable. If you have the money it is not a problem, and I live in a really nice 3 bedroom apartment in the city. I can imagine if you are not well prepared to spend an extravagant amount you may have a hard time. Outside of the city there was plenty of option at affordable pricing. My housing contract is renewable yearly; but I understand that it could change (not unlike the US)

3. Cost of things: Pre-packaged/processed is more similar to 15% more expensive than US city prices in Stockholm City. Meats, raw products (veggies, fruits, muesli) are less expensive then most US prices (closer to value grocery), milk/agg/etc. are similar price to US. Berries are abundant and cheap, but 'exotics' may be more - I can't find a non-concentrate orange juice under 60SEK. Eating out is broken into different categories: (1) Dagens Meny/Lunches are cheap, plentiful, and varied - ranging from 60-110SEK per person and including salad and coffee. Pizza and similar are well done and decent priced at about 95-120SEK (Love Birkastans Pizza!) Sushi is normal priced as the US. Chinese Buffets are 90-145SEK depending on location and day much like the US (2) Dinner is holy shit expensive most places - I haven't found a good value dinner yet, with most places around 260-350SEK per person. It's clearly the money maker on the liquor and dinner that keeps most places in the green; that said it's sometimes good to get a nice bite and while expensive many places I've been to have been well presented and good tasting.

4. People/Outlook - I was worried when some of the above people went on crazy rants about how Swedes hate people and believe the minimum effort is the best effort, etc. but I have to say that everyone that I've met has been great and from a professional level I've been impressed with the work ethic (during work hours of course!) and level of skill in the tech field that my peers have. Obviously this brainwashing children into helplessness and inability hasn't been working on everyone...?

5. Kids are enrolled in school, the system was easy and very well thought out (going to START stockholm for assessment) and it has been a non-issue. The language barrier is fading quickly. I will set some reminders to come back and comment on this.

If anyone else sees this here and is worried about the process of moving and what all it entailed, feel free to reply or message me. I'm happy to help.

-LN
Go to the top of the page
+
Saywhatwhat
post 16.May.2019, 09:27 AM
Post #32

QUOTE (LimpingNinja @ 15.May.2019, 08:02 PM) *
Hello everyone, I said I would set a reminder and I have indeed done so; my personal experiences have been really good so far - what that says for complainers here is not up t ... (show full quote)

Hey ninja, that’s awesome everything went smoothly and you settled in nicely!

Best of luck for the future.

Just remember that although you had a smooth experience, it isn’t the same for everyone and there isn’t a standard experience for people. Which can be the most frustrating...

And also, things change, and have changed, so quickly in regards to immigration in Sweden. So don’t assume because it was smooth and easy for you that it should, or will, be like that for everyone else.

Regardless, enjoy your new life!
+
LimpingNinja
post 16.May.2019, 09:46 AM
Post #33

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 16.May.2019, 03:27 AM) *
Just remember that although you had a smooth experience, it isn’t the same for everyone and there isn’t a standard experience for people. Which can be the most frustrating...

Oh indeed, but from my experiences *outside* of "thelocal.se" which does tend to be more inclined to complaint, it has also shown that everything is not a miasma of doom and dismay.

I want to make sure to provide the information to others that may visit, that it can go smoothly and (if you follow other forums on reddit or other site) many people have a good experience.

The key is doing ones research and being super-prepared in order to eliminate failures of bureaucracy (which is key with ANY countries processes). Ones move can be affected by failures to follow the process, submit the right paperwork, or even ones employee being an idiot - and of course not everyone will have the same experience...

With that said, the complaints on this particular forum did little to ensure that I had the right process as everyone seems to be just inserting opinion on a path; I provided my timeline in another thread - and am more than happy to help anyone else who moves in doing things in the right order...

... but, they can get more benefit joining a site like r/TillSverige on Reddit where they will get answers vs. simply warnings of doom like here.

Thanks!
-LN
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 16.May.2019, 01:56 PM
Post #34

Your views and opinion of TheLocal's posters are well received...

It is a rare post that is not aimed at denigrating Sweden and its peoples...

Thank you,
GH
+
Bsmith
post 16.May.2019, 02:28 PM
Post #35

I think to a great extent, people make their own luck. You went in with a can-do attitude and you are doing well. Will there be some struggles ahead? Of course there will, but I have the feeling you will do fine.

Nice to hear your story.
+
joshr
post 16.May.2019, 03:17 PM
Post #36

QUOTE (LimpingNinja @ 16.May.2019, 09:46 AM) *
Oh indeed, but from my experiences *outside* of "thelocal.se" which does tend to be more inclined to complaint, it has also shown that everything is not a miasma of ... (show full quote)

I think that you hit the nail on the head here in several ways...
- There are a lot of people that have moved here and have a great life. We peruse The Local, but are not active posters. People who are unhappy because they don't work or haven't integrated well tend to get sucked into online communities more and complain, hence the high number of "sweden is shit" type posts
- Preparation helps. I moved here 15 years ago and had a similar process. Got my UT in Chicago, and applied for my personnummer on my second day here. Had it by the end of the week. Three years later, applied for my citizenship on a Monday and had the certificate by Thursday.
- There is a benefit coming from the USA. You are treated better than people from other countries. I once worked in Denmark and a co-worker was complaining about immigrants. I pointed out to her that I was one of the people she was complaining about, to which she responded, "Oh no - not you, just the dark-skinned ones". Yep...
- Stockholm does tend to be more open and international than other areas. This does help compared to people that settle in little towns (but also hurts your language learning as well).
+
Saywhatwhat
post 16.May.2019, 04:48 PM
Post #37

QUOTE (joshr @ 16.May.2019, 04:17 PM) *
- There is a benefit coming from the USA. You are treated better than people from other countries. I once worked in Denmark and a co-worker was complaining about immigrants. ... (show full quote)

But what if you are black, middle eastern, Asian or central/ South American and coming from the USA to Sweden?

Just saying that it isn’t so much where you are from, but the color of your skin. And at the same time, coming from the “right” country is also important... but this has become less and less true. A recent study found that 49% of swedes view immigration negatively.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/may/...other-europeans
+
Bsmith
post 16.May.2019, 05:44 PM
Post #38

I couldn't give a rat's arse about skin color. How ridiculous, it is just pigmentation. That is like worrying about someone's hair color or the color of their eyes.

Personally what matters to me is what does the potential immigrant bring to the table as far as job skills, education, willingness to work hard, learn the language and assimilate into the host country's society. That is what is important.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 16.May.2019, 10:07 PM
Post #39

If all the third world people were moved to the first world countries and the first world peoples were moved to the recently vacated third world countries...where would you want to live one hundred years from now???
+
Saywhatwhat
post 17.May.2019, 06:08 AM
Post #40

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 16.May.2019, 11:07 PM) *
If all the third world people were moved to the first world countries and the first world peoples were moved to the recently vacated third world countries...where would you wa ... (show full quote)

It would be amazing if any of us were alive in 100 years.
+
joshr
post 17.May.2019, 08:26 AM
Post #41

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 16.May.2019, 04:48 PM) *
But what if you are black, middle eastern, Asian or central/ South American and coming from the USA to Sweden?

That's a really interesting question. My gut tells me that people are discriminating more on origin than on skin color, and the skin color comment was more an easy way to group/stereotype than to indicate a real problem with skin pigment (at least in this specific case). But it was an eye-opening comment at the time, as it was nearly 15 years ago before immigration became hot topic.

But then again, the KKK is still alive and kicking in the USA, and Europe still has pro-nazi groups, so who knows.
+
Saywhatwhat
post 17.May.2019, 08:57 AM
Post #42

QUOTE (joshr @ 17.May.2019, 09:26 AM) *
That's a really interesting question. My gut tells me that people are discriminating more on origin than on skin color, and the skin color comment was more an easy way to ... (show full quote)

I didn’t expect you to have an answer, nor do I, but I also think it would be an interesting study.

It’s hard to say if it’s origin (heritage) or skin color because those can go hand in hand, USA, Brazil, possibly Britain and a few others might be the only exceptions. I would still lean towards a discrimination based on skin color because non white swedes are still discriminated against... not even accepted as Swedish, even if 2nd generation or beyond.

I too was in Denmark in the early 2000’s and found the people to be a bit prejudice towards skin color and origin, especially the Polish for some reason at that time. And many negative comments about “brown people”.

This is a tangent but it makes me think of another thread how someone said how Europeans probably dislike how Americans say they are half this and that (European heritage) and I think it is because Americans are proud that it is a nation whose people are mixed and can get along (for the most part).
+

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: