The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »    Reply to this topic

TV Fee in Sweden

Not sure what it is called

Furu
post 8.Jun.2010, 07:22 PM
Post #31

QUOTE (Bender B Rodriquez @ 8.Jun.2010, 07:24 PM) *
The system is based on peoples honesty (stupid, I know). If you don't want to pay you just don't pay. I've been doing that for years...

How did you manage to avoid it?
Go to the top of the page
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 8.Jun.2010, 08:05 PM
Post #32

By not paying. Just say that you don't have a TV and they won't bother you anymore.
+
Mirrorman
post 8.Jun.2010, 08:15 PM
Post #33

no better than a thief if you dont pay.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 8.Jun.2010, 09:37 PM
Post #34

I do not see any moral obligation to pay for things I do not use, do not intend to use, or do not see any societal benefit in.
+
Mirrorman
post 8.Jun.2010, 09:54 PM
Post #35

the societal benefit of a state run broadcaster is there for all to see. Would imagine the issue has more to do with your moral intelligence than being a mere license dodger though.

dont worry we will pay your share.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 8.Jun.2010, 10:46 PM
Post #36

Wow, you really are a twat.
+
Mirrorman
post 8.Jun.2010, 11:00 PM
Post #37

maybe but not a cheating thieving twat.
+
post 8.Jun.2010, 11:39 PM
Post #38

wow how morally superior people get. the tv license ought to be collected along with your taxes. it is a tax and it's a service for the entire population. think of it as a part of the cultural funding.
+
jack sprat
post 9.Jun.2010, 01:13 AM
Post #39

Wow,the only one appearing to be morally superior is yourself 007, with your usual holier than thou attitude,..though where any culture quite comes into Swedish TV is difficult to fathom.

The frequency spectrum incl. the many millions of transmissions carried on it, is available and present Worldwide in everyones home and everywhere else,just like the air we breathe and the rain from the sky, and existed long before TV and Radio stations were ever thought of.
It should therefore be no crime to make use of whatever is openly transmitted on it.
In any event there is always the simple option of encoding, if those transmitting signals wish to limit their audience, or hold them to ransom.
I have never paid in either the UK or Sweden,(in Spain it is free),and fortunately there are signs that the gestapo-like tactics of the authorities are increasingly being ignored, swept aside and more recently in the UK withdrawn to a large extent as no longer morally justifiable.
The eventual withdrawal of licenced services would in the long term make little difference, as there will always be a plentiful,wide range of self supporting commercially viable stations more than willing to fill any void.
+
Furu
post 9.Jun.2010, 01:20 AM
Post #40

QUOTE (Bender B Rodriquez @ 8.Jun.2010, 09:05 PM) *
By not paying. Just say that you don't have a TV and they won't bother you anymore.

How can one deny having a TV if subscribed to digital cable service such as Canal or Boxer.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 9.Jun.2010, 03:49 AM
Post #41

Because Boxer, Canal Digital and SVT are different companies and privacy laws forbid them to share information about their customers.
+
Craptastical
post 9.Jun.2010, 06:44 AM
Post #42

This begs the question as to why one of the earlier posters received a letter from Radiotjänst after the purchase of a digital box.

Something which could actually make a difference in the annual overall costs for everyone would be to include the monthly fee as an item in the monthly bill for the TV service one is subscribed to. This wouldn't nab all of the people who don't have a subscription, but I don't think they constitute the majority of the population in Sweden anymore anyway (a big nothing-to-back-it-up guess).

It would be interesting to see statistics on subscriber vs. free-terrestrial viewers though. It does make me wonder and it could be a good indicator for where our Radiotjänst monies should be spent.
+
Rick Methven
post 9.Jun.2010, 06:54 AM
Post #43

QUOTE (Bender B Rodriquez @ 9.Jun.2010, 04:49 AM) *
Because Boxer, Canal Digital and SVT are different companies and privacy laws forbid them to share information about their customers.

You are wrong there.

If you buy a TV from a retailer, or subscribe to a TV service such as Boxer, the details are sent to Radiotjänst.
+
Renfeh Hguh
post 9.Jun.2010, 07:19 AM
Post #44

It's a stupid system which I got suckered in to start paying many years ago. When I was in Dublin for a couple of years I never bothered to pay.

I think that if we have to support a state broadcaster then it is better that the pain is shared by every taxpayer in the country by paying for it from our taxes. For a start, Radiotjänst & BBC would no longer need to have staff supporting the money collection activities. The act of getting money to support these broadcast companies would be limited to the CEO/VD grovelling on his/her hands and knees to the Government biggrin.gif

In times of economic downturns Radiotjänst is probably not affected by a drop in cash flow like the commercial broadcasters and all government agencies, so why should they be immune from belt tightening as well?
+
Craptastical
post 9.Jun.2010, 07:34 AM
Post #45

All very good points.

The end result is that the cost would (hopefully) decrease on a per-person basis, but at the same time increase the monies available for SVT et al to use for both original and purchased programming.
+

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topic
6 User(s) are reading this topic (6 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: