The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >   Reply to this topic

Brining up kids - cultural differences - English/Swedish

Survey Says . . . . .
post 28.Aug.2007, 04:39 PM
Post #31

QUOTE (007)
*yawn*

. . . . and sleepy.
Go to the top of the page
+
E J Reklam
post 28.Aug.2007, 06:52 PM
Post #32

My girlfriend's kids are extremely well brought up, un-bratish and do use please and thankyou etc etc but her 17 year old son constantly berates me for saying "sorry". It seems to genuinely annoy him and I don't seem to be able to convince him that being polite (to that extent) is a good thing.
+
Ezpen The Caveman
post 28.Aug.2007, 06:58 PM
Post #33

QUOTE (Svampen Säger)
According to lexin and my swedish husband, there is actually so.

Svenskt uppslagsord
snälla

Engelsk översättning
please

I dont understand why people keep saying theres no Swedish word for please...

?????
In norwegian we got this:
Yes, please = Ja, takk
Thank you! = Takk skal du faen meg ha!
Please! = Vær så snill!
To Please = Tilfredstille (hmm.. ehh..)
Please? = Snille deg? or Kjære deg?
+
Fredde
post 28.Aug.2007, 07:12 PM
Post #34

QUOTE (Ågatan)
My girlfriend's kids are extremely well brought up, un-bratish and do use please and thankyou etc etc but her 17 year old son constantly berates me for saying "sorry". It seems to genuinely annoy him and I don't seem to be able to convince him that being polite (to that extent) is a good thing.

I think that Brits say sorry way to much and in situations where it is bordering comical. But hey different ways to view the world, neither better than the other..

The teenage feedback you get could be just teenage rants.
+
E J Reklam
post 28.Aug.2007, 07:22 PM
Post #35

QUOTE (Fredde)
I think that Brits say sorry way to much and in situations where it is bordering comical. But hey different ways to view the world, neither better than the other..

The teenage feedback you get could be just teenage rants.

But what you may not understand is that when we say "sorry" it very rarely actually means that. It is a subtlety of (UK) English designed to confuse bloody foreigners. In fact we often mean the exact opposite.
+
Roowhip
post 28.Aug.2007, 09:10 PM
Post #36

But what you may not understand is that when we say "sorry" it very rarely actually means that. It is a subtlety of (UK) English designed to confuse bloody foreigners. In fact we often mean the exact opposite.

Ågatan; a blast from the past! Are you back in Sweden or did you end up going back to UK about the time you disappeared from the local?
+
Streja
post 30.Aug.2007, 01:34 PM
Post #37

QUOTE (Ågatan)

Yes some <brits use it to be rude. Please as well. sad.gif Not good for the ones that are usually nice and polite.

The tone of voice is important in Sweden. 007 is spot on in her posts. If you use a friendly voice you can ask for vatten with possibly only one word. "Kan jag få..." is considered polite as well. You brits here who think that saying thank you and please is good to teach your kids may be wrong if they don't at the same time learn the tone of voice and gesture things.
+
Nuname
post 30.Aug.2007, 01:49 PM
Post #38

QUOTE (Roowhip)

Ågatan; a blast from the past! Are you back in Sweden or did you end up going back to UK about the time you disappeared from the local?

Yes hej. Hope all's well.
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 30.Aug.2007, 04:00 PM
Post #39

In fairness, most Brits can't agree on what is polite and what is uncouth (I was brung up to believe putting knife and fork together when you're finished eating is polite, but Petronella suggested that was a bit common). Quite how any of us expect any foreigner anywhere in the world to fit in seamlessly to a whole new unwritted code is beyond me.

Saying "Thanks for the food" in England would seem ludicrously overblown and Victorian to me ("That was lovely" is more appropriate). But then I got told off for saying tack too many times during a cigarette-buying transaction ("You say tack at the end when you get your change, not when they give you the cigarettes!" - what's wrong with both?).

The phrase ursäkta, jag är engelsk is a useful catch-all excuse for inadvertantly stepping on cultural toes.
+
Alfredo
post 30.Aug.2007, 04:42 PM
Post #40

Yes, at the end of a meal in the UK, you would say, as VHW said, ''that was delicious - (thanks for that)''

Tone of voice is one thing, I would agree, but there are subtle differences in the use of words too. For example:

''Skickar du smöret'' - tack is not necessarily required.
''Skickar du smöret, tack'' tack is optional.
''Kan jag få smöret, tack''
''Kan du skicka smöret, tack''
''Vill du skicka smöret, tack''
''Skulle du kunna skicka smöret, tack''

'Snälla' is very rarely used, but I think you would have to be particularly good looking to get away with just pointing and saying ''smöret!'' ...

What say you Streja, to the above phrases?
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 30.Aug.2007, 04:55 PM
Post #41

Varsågod och skicka smöret?

Jag skulle vilja att du ska skicka smöret?

Skicka det där jävla smöret anars komma jag att slå ihjäll dig?

So many choices.
+
Alfredo
post 30.Aug.2007, 04:58 PM
Post #42

Yes ... ''Hallå! Smöret!'' (Said with the right tone, of course ... laugh.gif )
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 30.Aug.2007, 05:22 PM
Post #43

Smöret, fy faaaan!

Or just a pointed look at the smör and a raised eyebrow in the direction of the non-compliant family member?

Such a complex language. So many subtleties.
+
Steve-g
post 30.Aug.2007, 06:01 PM
Post #44

QUOTE (VikingHumpingWitch)
Smöret, fy faaaan!

QUOTE (Alfredo)
Hallå! Smöret!

QUOTE (VikingHumpingWitch)
Skicka det där jävla smöret anars komma jag att slå ihjäll dig?

Good stuff! Making a note of these for the next time I'm in polite Swedish company...
+
Markbase with an Invisibl...
post 30.Aug.2007, 06:15 PM
Post #45

If I had kids, I wouldn't "brine them up" anywhere.

That's what they do to tuna before they stick it in tins, innit?

Mark Base
Helsingblog -
For observations and opinions about life in Helsingborg
+

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: