The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Gametalk kids harassing Swedish children over English.

*Katta1968*
post 14.Apr.2006, 07:49 AM
Post #1

Hi. I am an American living in Sweden. My son was very young when we moved here so he does not spell so well in English anymore. He told me the kids on a site named Gametalk are giving him a hard time over his grammer. They are saying things like "Learn to speak English" and so on. We have decided that since English isn't the only language in the world maybe it would be good to teach them a lesson. If anyone can go there and post in Swedish it would be a great help to the cause. It is in the SuperMario section of the page Gametalk. Please help with your Swedish : ) Thank you, Katta.
Go to the top of the page
+
Bishop Conkers
post 14.Apr.2006, 08:00 AM
Post #2

WHAT!

You want us grown ups to go there and tease the other kids about the fact that they cant speak Swedish...

Now assuming I do that... how does that make me any different to the mean kids that are teasing your kid...

I suggest that your son finds another chat/gaming site where the kids don't tease him for his bad grammar and spelling... somewhere that accepts that English is not his first language...

At most of the sites and playgrounds that my half English half Swedish children have been to, this always crops up sooner or later.

"Hey what's wrong with you... you speak funny... are you retarded?"

It was tough at first, but I told my children to simply smile and tell the other kids

"I am not retarded, but my first language is not English, it is Swedish, we can speak Swedish instead if you like?"

This works every time and my children suddenly get really popular on the playgrounds as the other kids all want to hear someone speaking a foriegn language...

So deal with the problem... go the long way around... but don't ask me to join in with the bullying.

Conk

Edited to sort out my own spelling and grammar... I suggest you do the same with your post, and set a good example for your son. ;-)
+
*Mahmood*
post 14.Apr.2006, 08:43 AM
Post #3

"min första språk är inte Engelsk , den er Svensk , vi kanna tala Svensk i stället om du lik, sinka!"

Say this to them, they will not say anything again. :wink:
+
*Katta1968*
post 14.Apr.2006, 10:14 AM
Post #4

I have said this and no it did not work and I did not want anyone to tease the children...I was hoping to start a chat in his language but just forget it. You are right. He can just get used to it. Sorry to bother you people. So we can just drop it. I have started one in Swedish myself. Never expect help in Sweden. That much I have learned from your schools. Our parents told us the same things in USA while we were getting the crap kicked out of us every day. People just don't care anymore and the children will resent you for it when they grow up and you find out what the reality really was. PEACE.
+
Beth
post 14.Apr.2006, 01:16 PM
Post #5

katta, there seems to have been a misunderstanding. i'm not swedish and my reaction to your post was a bit surprised as it sounded like you were asking adults to tease children to "teach them a lesson" if it were to start a chat in your son's language, that's one thing.

people care. and people will help you when you reach out. just don't ask people to do inappropriate things and get mad at them for saying so even if it were a big misunderstanding.

i hope you son can find a nicer site to play on.
beth
+
Wanna-be
post 14.Apr.2006, 01:32 PM
Post #6

If they are Swedish kids, I'll take the job ?

:twisted:
+
Bishop Conkers
post 14.Apr.2006, 02:33 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Katta1968)
We have decided that since English isn't the only language in the world maybe it would be good to teach them a lesson. If anyone can go there and post in Swedish it would be a great help to the cause.

I understood this to mean that you wanted us to go there and teach the bullies a lesson!

QUOTE (Katta1968)
I did not want anyone to tease the children...

Well that's not what it sounded like... but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

QUOTE (Katta1968)
Our parents told us the same things in USA while we were getting the crap kicked out of us every day. People just don't care anymore and the children will resent you for it when they grow up and you find out what the reality really was. PEACE.

Oh come on...! Nobody is kicking the crap out of your son are they. They are teasing him, so either he turns off the computer, or finds another site where the kids are more tolerant and understanding.
You make it sound like your parents didn't care and left you to get beat up in school, this doesn't make YOU a bad parent... and if you are holding a grudge against your parents for not standing up for you... doesn't mean that your son will blame you for being teased.

Trust me... we do care... and you can always ask for help.

Sweden is a great country to bring children up in... so don't get started on that I hate everything about sweden rant... ;-)

If your son can't handle being teased online about his english spelling and grammar, when it's not his first language... then he is gonna be eaten alive in the real world.

I reccomend Brazeltons book - Touchpoints... it is amazing and the bible that we used to raise our kids... this is what Brazleton would refer to as a "touchpoint". Time to make a move, this is the time to make a decision that will either make a turn for the worse, or a turn for the better... your choice.

It's not difficult, you just have to be smarter than the kids who are teasing him... Good luck... with that.

Conk.
+
*Cyberfluff*
post 14.Apr.2006, 03:27 PM
Post #8

Hi Katta, sorry your son is having a rough time, but I interpreted your post the same way as the others. Getting an attitude when people said they aren't going to go to some other site and tease children for you just because you showed up and asks doesn't go over so well. (Especially when a simple "no, I meant participate in a conversation in his language" would have sufficed.)

Maybe you can check out the www.mumsinsweden.com forums - they might have more experience in dealing with multilingual child issues.

Has your child told them that he's not a native English speaker? Most sites that I frequent tend to ride the spelling/grammar horse pretty hard, but usually when someone says English isn't their first language, people are much more accepting of mistakes and idiosyncracies (especially when they consider what their functional level in that person's first language is.)

With the proliferation of TXTspk and Aimglish all over the web, I find rather dark humor in that kids on a gaming site are picking on other kids over their English. (Especially since gamers are not, as a group, known for their flowing prose and godlike grammar.)
+
*Mahmood*
post 14.Apr.2006, 06:25 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Katta1968)
I have said this and no it did not work

I didn't work! Well thats strange. :shock:
+
Bishop Conkers
post 15.Apr.2006, 08:56 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (Cyberfluff)
Most sites that I frequent tend to ride the spelling/grammar horse pretty hard,

I am all for this approach, far too many people are sloppy with spelling and grammar in emails and on the net, (myself included). My old English teacher would be turning in his grave; and my knuckles would be bleeding from the blows of his ruler.

Time to raise the game a notch perhaps.

Conkers
+
Roowhip
post 15.Apr.2006, 01:08 PM
Post #11

Hi. I am an American living in Sweden. My son was very young when we moved here so he does not spell so well in English anymore. He told me the kids on a site named Gametalk are giving him a hard time over his grammer. They are saying things like "Learn to speak English" and so on. We have decided that since English isn't the only language in the world maybe it would be good to teach them a lesson. If anyone can go there and post in Swedish it would be a great help to the cause. It is in the SuperMario section of the page Gametalk. Please help with your Swedish : ) Thank you, Katta.

I'm a bit confused by all this-I also had the same interpretation as the others on here but I must say I couldn't work out how it would help your son if he started posting in swedish to english speakers on gametalk . But you say that what you meant is that you wanted to start a Swedish thread; so why couldn't you or your son do that yourself in the first place??

Honestly though, I agree with Conkers..if it is so bad why doesn't your son leave the website..it's not like he has to visit there (unlike a situation of bullying in school)-either he stands up for himself ( you as the parent are most influential in instilling him with self esteem) or he leaves ..simple.
+
Muttlestar Galactica
post 15.Apr.2006, 02:37 PM
Post #12

I ask anyone to actually go on to a 'youth' site...non of those little f*ckers can sPeL 4 sHi* anyway...
jUST GET YOUR SON TO WRITE IN 'TEXT' ENGLISH...now can't b bovrd 2 change caps

oh I care
+
Henric
post 5.Aug.2006, 04:51 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Mahmood)
"min första språk är inte Engelsk , den er Svensk , vi kanna tala Svensk i stället om du lik, sinka!"

Say this to them, they will not say anything again. :wink:

"Mitt första språk är inte engelska, det är svenska. Vi kan tala svenska istället om du vill, idiot."
+
*Vicis Patronus*
post 5.Aug.2006, 05:01 PM
Post #14

I still wonder why people care so much about what people are saying to eachother to the net. When I hear about people getting bullied on the net I still find it a bit weird.
+
Rebajas
post 6.Aug.2006, 11:59 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (Cyberfluff)
Especially since gamers are not, as a group, known for their flowing prose and godlike grammar.

That's a pretty fat brush you're painting with there. It might have been true that 'gamers' were lacking some of the more necessary communications skills a decade ago but I think now you'll find the scene is much more varied. In my experience you can still find a hardcore element that can't spell or puncuate but generally as the games become more sophisticated so do the players - or am I wrong?

You are absolutely spot on with this comment though:

QUOTE (Cyberfluff)
Has your child told them that he's not a native English speaker? Most sites that I frequent tend to ride the spelling/grammar horse pretty hard, but usually when someone says English isn't their first language, people are much more accepting of mistakes and idiosyncracies (especially when they consider what their functional level in that person's first language is.)
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: