The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

death trap for children

Sweetsu0
post 15.Jun.2006, 10:59 PM
Post #1

Hi guys, most of you who have no kids will find this topic utterley boring but i need you guys to point in the right direction. I went to a shop in Varberg centre yesterday and as i have a small 2 and a half year old, i ended up following him to a shop full of toys and allsorts. I was shocked to see that they had a large choice of battery operated toys for children all of which were place on 10 glass ornament tables. Each one was loaded with battery ready to play and i just managed to catch my son from falling on one of these non secure and extremeley dangerous glass tables, as he grabbed a toy. When I bought it to the shopkeepers attention, he shrugged and said that surely I must have glass tables at home and does my child smash them,. Any parent would know that we will to some extent secure our homes aganst such hazards to protect our children especially small ones. The funny thing was that he had priced with large yellow highlighter each tables value at 249 kroners incase a child smashed one. But when asked who would be responsible if a child was hurt or even worse injured or blinded, he said he couldent care less. Now tell me how would you as a parent feel at this comment??? Surely there must be some kind of protection or rules in place for this sort of selling. Surely he should be forced to place these toys on plastic or wooden tables or on the floor. please advice on who u think i should report to or do you think this kind of marketing should be allowed for children...
Go to the top of the page
+
*Cyberfluff*
post 15.Jun.2006, 11:05 PM
Post #2

Don't shop there and tell them why. Vote with your kronor, I'm sure another toy shop with what you consider child safe displays would be happy to have them.
+
Sweetsu0
post 15.Jun.2006, 11:09 PM
Post #3

Thanks cyberfluff, Thats sweet, Good advice. As if I hadn't thought of that anyway!!
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 15.Jun.2006, 11:14 PM
Post #4

I agree that it is irresponsable of the shopkeeper to place toys on such glass tables, and i agree with cybelfluff; use you power as a comsumer. There are strict regulations to ensure that toys are safe. There are however no regulations about the safety of shops and it is always your responsibility to keep your child safe; the shopkeeper can never be held responsable for your kids in case of an accident.
+
*Cyberfluff*
post 15.Jun.2006, 11:19 PM
Post #5

i'd suggest telling the store that you do like and patronize why you shop there, as well, and why you quit shopping at the other one.
+
Sweetsu0
post 15.Jun.2006, 11:19 PM
Post #6

I wouldent shop there again but i want to save the world...Only joking!! I guess coming from london where people dont often get away with stuff like this really pisses me off. I just want him to take notice of what he is doing before some child gets really hurt and perhaps change his attitude. Why is it all about making money, he is penalising us parents... His attitude sucks... and his ignorance is unbelievable.
+
Sweetsu0
post 15.Jun.2006, 11:24 PM
Post #7

Thanks guys, feel a bit better for chatting you lot. Sorry if you find my topic a bit boring but now i have let some steam out, I feel great. Gonna follow your advice cyberfluff and do just that. Better go without the little one or I will be paying my kronas to the scum bag...
+
Gorgall
post 16.Jun.2006, 04:40 AM
Post #8

What a nasty evil man! putting toys out for your child to play with.
+
Marmi
post 16.Jun.2006, 04:48 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (Sweetsu0)
...But when asked who would be responsible if a child was hurt or even worse injured or blinded, he said he couldent care less. Now tell me how would you as a parent feel at this comment???...
I'm not a parent, but I have worked in a store, and I think it's up to the parents to make sure their kids don't get hurt. And if you're worried, then keep your kids in your padded home. :roll:
+
Muttlestar Galactica
post 16.Jun.2006, 04:50 AM
Post #10

pop tarts..the're a potential death trap!
+
*Cyberfluff*
post 16.Jun.2006, 05:01 AM
Post #11

Especially for diabetics.
+
Muttlestar Galactica
post 16.Jun.2006, 05:12 AM
Post #12

Sorry, it's a very old french and saunders reference...they have been on pbs
+
Nidoh
post 16.Jun.2006, 08:02 AM
Post #13

I am a parent and its NOT upto anyone else to protect your children but you!

Lazy parents that want to blame everyone else for them not doing even a basic thing like looking out for your child in a store really piss me off.

Why would you let a 2 yr old out of your site in a strange place anyway? You honestly think its ok, you think a shop should make sure you dont have to watch your own child? That is completely irresponsible, your kid, take care of it, dont dump the responsibility on a stranger/shop/wotever

If you unhappy with the way they set it out in the store or their sales tatics dont go there
+
*Littlefair*
post 16.Jun.2006, 08:51 AM
Post #14

Well as a parent myself I personally think I would never go to that particular shop agaain. I suppose though that is pretyy much a given. I would hawever due to his total disregard for the children to whom he is marketing his products I think I would have contacted the local newspapers and spread the word about this guys blase approach to child safety. :twisted:
+
Gaspar
post 16.Jun.2006, 08:59 AM
Post #15

Well, you must have been raised in the US.
I lived there and was astonished to see how people are overcautious regarding security or children,; mainly as a result of the general FEAR atmosphere.
I think that Parents are responsible of their kids; Now swedes are also not very worried about such things as par of life; My son goes to a Dagis with huge stones in the playground. He comes back often a bit bruised but he has learned danger.

8)
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: