The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

English Language activities for small kids

Beef
post 21.Jul.2006, 08:15 AM
Post #1

Hi my two year old is really coming in his speach but just now I think he thinks they whole world speaks Swedish and "pappa" is the only one that speaks Englsih!! :? so his Swedish is racing ahead while is English development is plodding along.

I live in Stockholm, can anyone send me some ideas or links to English speaking evening/weekend activities anything from playgroups to gymnastics or anything..

Thanks in advance
Go to the top of the page
+
Kelvin Aka The Dramka
post 21.Jul.2006, 08:24 AM
Post #2

My daughter has been here three years now. I used these sights and many more to help her balance the languages. She speaks and hears swedish all day, so it was important for me to make sure sure was fluent in englsih. Now she reads and writes at a 4th grade level at 7 in both swedish and english. Good luck with your child, it is important for them to learn the parents mother tongue.
I can send you many more if you would like.

http://www.sesameworkshop.org/sesamestreet/

http://pbskids.org/
+
Kelvin Aka The Dramka
post 21.Jul.2006, 08:32 AM
Post #3

HI Beef,
Here is another for you,I dont know what you had in mind. Is your two year old speakig Any english at this time? I went through the same thing with my daughter, I do understand. biggrin.gif

http://www.tinyplanets.com/storybook.html
+
Beef
post 21.Jul.2006, 09:12 AM
Post #4

Thanks Kelvin. Will check out when I get a chance. he does speak some English and understands me. It is very very important to me so will try everything.
+
Guess_what
post 21.Jul.2006, 09:20 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (Kelvin Aka The Dramka)
HI Beef,
Here is another for you,I dont know what you had in mind. Is your two year old speakig Any english at this time? I went through the same thing with my daughter, I do understand. biggrin.gif

http://www.tinyplanets.com/storybook.html

Thanks Kelvin for the websites and today my three year old was expecting some surprise from me and I read a bing and bong story to him and he loved it.

Thanks again biggrin.gif
+
*Elin*
post 21.Jul.2006, 09:28 AM
Post #6

Im worried that when I have kids it will be difficult teaching them Swedish (my husband is English) because its not a major language to learn. At least kids learn English at an early stage in Sweden, in school. Is it difficult teaching them two languages? Is it true that kids that are bilingual takes a bit longer to start talking properly?
+
Kelvin Aka The Dramka
post 21.Jul.2006, 09:31 AM
Post #7

Hi Beef ,
You are most welcome, I hope everything works out for you. biggrin.gif

Hi Guess_what,
I am glad you are able to share these sites with yor three year old, they will never be bored with them. biggrin.gif
+
Beef
post 21.Jul.2006, 09:32 AM
Post #8

Elin, Don't fall into that trap. All research suggests that 2 languages work just fine. They may be muddled at first but that will sort itself out.

There are so many 70's kids whose parents thought that they would be confused and that they would pick up Finnish later, for example and now they can't speak a word. That is just a real shame.
+
Kelvin Aka The Dramka
post 21.Jul.2006, 09:44 AM
Post #9

Hi Elin,
I think where you live may define the barriers that your child may have to hurdle. If you are living in sweden already, it is the ultimate responsibility of the family to teach the language other than what they may be introduced to on tv or school. A child that is bilingual doesnt have to be slower because they are learning a second language. My daughter was saying the A,B,C in english before she was two. Then we moved here, she quickly adapted to swedish within several months and forgot most of her english. I decided to re-introduce the english language again, and she has be fluent since. Even reads the morning paper before my wife and I. My suggestion is to go to the library and check out books in english regularly, and read together each day. Also try to introduce a new word into their vocabulary often to keep them inspired. Good Luck ! biggrin.gif
+
*Elin*
post 21.Jul.2006, 10:01 AM
Post #10

Hi Kelvin, thanks for your reply! Seems like you have a pretty clever daughter! :wink:

I think that learning the two languages the parents speak are really important. Im just worried that if we decide to stay in England or move to the US, that it will be harder for me to introduce Swedish to them, as it wouldnt come natural to me because everything around us would be english and my Swedish family wouldnt be around so they could hear the language etc etc and I am already rubbish at teaching my husband Swedish... :wink: Im afraid that they wouldnt learn about Sweden and where I am from, but I guess thats down to me to teach them.

Again, if we lived in Sweden, I would definitely put my kids in an International/English school, just to broaden their perspective on things.
+
Kelvin Aka The Dramka
post 21.Jul.2006, 12:52 PM
Post #11

Hi Elin,
Yes I believe you are correct, learning the swedish language from abroad (UK, USA) would be very difficult for your child. ( even harder for older adults) biggrin.gif
Before we left the U.S. , my wife who is swedish enrolled our daughter into a swedish school where we lived. The class for her was twice a week (2 year olds). That was the way she was introduced into the language prior to coming to sweden.
There is a large swedish population in So.California. Hodiday time , sometimes hundreds would attend gatherings, GodJul, Mid Sommar, and more.
But I also took advantage of this and made many friend there. I believe children have an advantage over we adults, in at they have the ability to absorb so much during their adolescent years.
+
*Elin*
post 21.Jul.2006, 01:40 PM
Post #12

Kelvin:

Where in Southern Cali is there a Swedish gathering? Would be good to know, if we were to move over there.
+
Kelvin Aka The Dramka
post 21.Jul.2006, 01:43 PM
Post #13

In Irvine, I will get the info from my wife.
+
*Billy*
post 21.Jul.2006, 02:21 PM
Post #14

Check out this previous thread... it may help

http://www.thelocal.se/discuss/viewtopic.p...de9a5d383e90488
+
Henric
post 5.Aug.2006, 03:28 PM
Post #15

Don't worry. He is just 2 years old!
Wait til he gets like 6, when they start to learn English in school. That is when his english will come back BIG TIME! And when he is a teenager, he will speak English as well as his father, and Swedish as well as his mother.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: