The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Family friendly Sweden??

ickle
post 16.Aug.2006, 09:18 AM
Post #1

I'm soon to be moving to near Gothenburg where my hubbie's got a job starting. So I've been trying to find out as much as I can before the culture shock of actually moving to Sweden.
Here in the U.K. I haven't spoken to anyone who's had anything bad to say about Sweden (well, except hubbie's Gran, who is rather mad so discounted her!). So from talking to people here, Brits and Swedes, you'd think Sweden was some kind of paradise! Thanks to you guys on these forums to opening my eyes to the problems of Sweden!! :wink:
But I still have one puzzle: Sweden has a reputation for being a really family-friendly place- hugely long maternity and paternity leaves, good state-funded childcare and schooling etc etc. In England we have decent maternity and parental rights (kind of) but the employers HATE it all. As far as an employer seems to be concerned here, if you get pregnant or have kids then they can kiss goodbye to productivity, and say hello to lots of extra expense and hassle. And as for the parents here- child care is so expensive that you might as well quit your job as it's cheaper to stay home and look after the kids yourself. So it's hardly surprising that there's a falling birthrate (at least among the white population) of Britain- career and family don't work here if you're a woman. However, from what I've read about Sweden, it seems very easy to have a career and be a mother as well, and the govt policies seem very family-friendly. Is this actually true in real life, or is this some more "Sweden-is-paradise" propaganda from the misty-eyed Swedes here in britain who can't get jobs back home...??
Go to the top of the page
+
Michele
post 16.Aug.2006, 09:24 AM
Post #2

It is EXTREMELY family friendly here. The only 'down' side appears to be that they WANT you to go back to work asap and dont seem to be condusive to being a stay at home mom. Daycare for 1 and fritids for 2 wound up being about 1500:- a month, which is amazingly cheap, in my eyes. But I'm from the USA, so I cant really help you with UK to Sweden comparisons. smile.gif
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 16.Aug.2006, 09:27 AM
Post #3

Isn't there a site called Mums in Sweden? Might be able to help you more.
+
ickle
post 16.Aug.2006, 09:30 AM
Post #4

Cheers. I'll have a look at that.
+
post 16.Aug.2006, 09:32 AM
Post #5

http://www.mumsinsweden.com/

the founder is gothenburg based. it has a rather active on-line community. they'll be rather helpful with any child-specific questions.

i think having a kid/kids here is a breeze (once you factor out the "what it means to be a parent") :wink:
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 16.Aug.2006, 09:32 AM
Post #6

Might be Moms in Sweden actually, given all the damn yanks over here :wink:
+
post 16.Aug.2006, 09:33 AM
Post #7

she's a brit...and the mums/moms span the english speaking globe. 8)
+
Puffin
post 16.Aug.2006, 09:36 AM
Post #8

Sweden is very family friendly compared to the UK:Having a career is sort of expected - you can even get full time daycare if you are a student. Th amounts I am quoting are the maximum prices - low income families pay less

Daycare - less than £100 per MONTH - for fulltime including all meals/activities and there are discounts for more than 1 child- Children over 3 get a free place for 3 hours/day - dicounts are available if you want full tim

Afterschool care - high quality and cheap compared to the UK about £65 per month

Maternity leave - approx 1 year at 80% of pay can be extended to 15 months at a lower rate - you are entilted to 120 kroner (about £10 per day) for a year even if you have no job/are a stay at home mum

Sick kids - you are entiled to 60 days a year off work to look after sick children at 80% pay
+
ickle
post 16.Aug.2006, 09:37 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (007)
i think having a kid/kids here is a breeze (once you factor out the "what it means to be a parent") :wink:

Thanks for the link, "Mums" it is. And yes... as you say the trick is sorting out the parenting bit- I'm still working up to that!
+
VikingHumpingWitch
post 16.Aug.2006, 09:39 AM
Post #10

60 days off to look after sick kids?! It's a wonder that every mother isn't inflicting Munchenhausen by Proxy on their offspring.
+
post 16.Aug.2006, 09:42 AM
Post #11

what you want is the affliction that keeps them out of dagis, but doesn't prevent them from going out for a day at skansen :wink:
+
ickle
post 16.Aug.2006, 09:46 AM
Post #12

60 days leave for sick kids is huge, but just look at the length of maternity leave! Here in the U.K. maternity leave is barely 6 months, although you can take another 6 months at no pay if you want! And even the Dads get a month off in Sweden apparently (vs. 2 weeks here if you're lucky and have a nice Boss)!
+
Puffin
post 16.Aug.2006, 10:06 AM
Post #13

Dads get 6 weeks in total (minmum) as there are 2 weeks for attending and after the birth - the man can also take longer if the family wishes as both parents must take a month - then you can sway it to suit you. I did not take all of my leave as I was an at home mum and the amount you got then was only 60kr - however you can save up your leave until the child is 8 - therefore I saved it up so that I when I went to komvux my husband could work part time and we only had daycare in the mornings.
+
Puffin
post 16.Aug.2006, 10:09 AM
Post #14

QUOTE (007)
what you want is the affliction that keeps them out of dagis, but doesn't prevent them from going out for a day at skansen :wink:

:wink: :wink: What you really want is a child with a minor disability that prevents them from attending daycare. There was a Swedish woman at the baby group I attended who had a child with asthma and allergies - she got a carers allowance of 8500/month to stay at home until her child started school.
+
post 16.Aug.2006, 10:10 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (Puffin)
Dads get 6 weeks in total (minmum) as there are 2 weeks for attending and after the birth - the man can also take longer if the family wishes as both parents must take a month - then you can sway it to suit you.

actually the minimum amount the "other" parent--dads usually-- must take is 60 days. "pappa dagarna" -- the 10 days alloted for the birth-- is separate. those are only for daddies and they expire after 60 or 90 days.
+

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: