The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Family Research

researcher
post 5.Jan.2007, 10:33 PM
Post #1

Hello to everyone,
When I was a child, I was adopted by my grandparents. My grandfather who I shall now refer to as Dad, was from Sweden. After his death my mother gave me a photo album that my Dads mother had, which she brought with her from Sweden. The era of the pictures is from approximately 1890 to 1910. Some the the men in the photos are in a military uniform. My question is this; is there some way to trace who these people were? Thankyou. Researcher
Go to the top of the page
+
Torontonian
post 5.Jan.2007, 10:35 PM
Post #2

start with a militay academy - they may know th unit and start zero it down to the people and location.
+
Shostokovich
post 5.Jan.2007, 10:38 PM
Post #3

Hiya!

One suggestion is to contact people who are able to create gene-trees. They just need the surname and place of birth/inscription of the grandma or grandpa and will find out in the registration office or townhall up to 7 generations back.

Lucky!
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 6.Jan.2007, 12:24 AM
Post #4

Photos from that era were done by professional photographers who used studios, etc. The photos in my possession from that era had the name of studio/photographer on them. It may be possible that they are still in business and could help you. Another idea would be to enlarge the picture and find information from their uniform badges, buckles or any insignias. If identified, a query to the Swedish military might provide access to a military historian of the unit, group, regiment? etc., etc.
Swedes are very good at record keeping and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Good Luck
+
Bettyinsweden
post 6.Jan.2007, 07:42 AM
Post #5

Do you have names and towns where these people came from?
Try posting the information on the Sweden message board at www.rootsweb.com or any of the family history sites that deal with Sweden. Check the Ellis Island website and familysearch.org. Another information place to research is Sweggate. If you have names and places you can use Genline.
+
Muttlestar Galactica
post 6.Jan.2007, 07:46 AM
Post #6

And as I recall, the mormans may be able to help you too.
+
researcher
post 6.Jan.2007, 09:07 PM
Post #7

I would like to thank all of you who have taken an interest in my post. I will certainly follow up on your ideas. With the right direction and some luck, perhaps I'll find the answers I'm looking for. Once again, thank you all very much. Sincerely, The Researcher
+
Doogie
post 6.Jan.2007, 09:09 PM
Post #8

Supposedly, there is a huge (I was told, so don't quote me) place where you can do family research up in Leksand. I think they have tons of old birth and death records there. They may be too old to help you on the first step, but may be useful down the road. I couldn't find a link for it directly, but came across this one that may be useful.

Good luck.

http://hem.passagen.se/ancr/links.htm
+
High Priestess Kang - Slu...
post 6.Jan.2007, 09:29 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Is It Michaelmas Mutley?)
And as I recall, the mormans may be able to help you too.

And baptize you after you die, as well.

De-Bapper
+
Eric Paul Adelgren
post 8.Mar.2007, 12:16 AM
Post #10

Is it true that Johan Adelgren b. 10/18/1707 might be one of my long lost ancestors?
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: