The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

medicine studies...need held

nassia
post 23.Oct.2006, 12:13 PM
Post #1

Hello
Well after reading and searching I am now convinced that probably I cannot follow my dream but since I don't want to stop trying I wonder if you can help me.
I am 28 years old, married with one 16 months old baby and I live in Greece.My husband is a mathematician and...I want to study medicine in you country.The problem is I don't know how. smile.gif
I dont know whether I must pack and move there right now, or wait to be accepted (probably I am daydreaming) in a University or an Istitute.
First I thought I've solved the problem with the language by reading that some Universities offer swedish courses (Linkoping for example). Then I realised that my lyceum certificate does not have a grade for biology (entry qualifications) since in my school I'didn't have the specific course.There is a grade for mathematic, for physics, and for chemistry, but not for biology. I didn't give up, and I discovered that I can take the SweSAT which with a high grade, there is a chance to be accepted in a University but in order to take the SweSAT I suppose I must speak and read and write excellent swedish, which I don't...
Now I am just dissapointed and confused. I don't know what to do... sad.gif :cry:
So guys if you have any advice...about anything that could help me...
Thank you in advance[/b]
nansy
Go to the top of the page
+
nassia
post 23.Oct.2006, 03:45 PM
Post #2

no one? sad.gif sad.gif :cry:
+
Anas
post 23.Oct.2006, 04:22 PM
Post #3

Hej,
I am not really aware of the medicine studies here, but I used this website to find my way to the swedish education and inistitues in engineering
http://www.sweden.se/templates/cs/SISFrontPage____4908.aspx
Hope you find good information there and best of luck.
+
Braderunner Rennuredarb
post 23.Oct.2006, 04:23 PM
Post #4

Hej Nansy:

Sorry - I have no clue about how to move here to go to school. If you dont have the regs (your biology), you could get your regs in Greece and then transfer...ut I would wait until you were granted residency/admission before just moving unless you have quite a nest egg of cash to live off of before that is approved and your husband gets a job (good luck with that as well) :?
+
post 23.Oct.2006, 04:30 PM
Post #5

nassia, puffin is our resident expert on these kinds of matters. there are also a few other posters who could offer some ideas.

give it a little while for them to see your post.
+
nassia
post 23.Oct.2006, 05:17 PM
Post #6

thanks guys biggrin.gif
I'll be more patient :oops:
I wonder what kind of work my husband can find there...I guess he cannot teach sad.gif
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 23.Oct.2006, 06:49 PM
Post #7

I'm afraid to disappoint you, but getting into med-school is really difficult here. Not even the highest grade in all subjects plus the highest grade at the national scholarly assessment test is enough, why many swedes study in denmark instead.
+
nassia
post 23.Oct.2006, 07:15 PM
Post #8

Bender you think I should try in Denmark?
+
Ems
post 23.Oct.2006, 07:18 PM
Post #9

...and the ones who don't make it to Denmark usually end up in Poland.
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 23.Oct.2006, 07:29 PM
Post #10

I think you should contact the different medical colleges first and see how their application procedures work. Since you don't have swedish "gymnasie"-grades the process may be different for you. However, it semms like you need to be fluent in swedish to be admitted.

See more:
http://www.sweden.se/templates/cs/CommonPage____8688.aspx

I don't know how it works in denmark, but i know that a lot of swedes study medicin there.
+
nassia
post 23.Oct.2006, 07:29 PM
Post #11

great...
+
nassia
post 23.Oct.2006, 07:30 PM
Post #12

thanx Bender... smile.gif
+
nassia
post 23.Oct.2006, 07:33 PM
Post #13

I wonder, in what level your swedish must be in order to pass the TISUS test?
+
Puffin
post 23.Oct.2006, 11:55 PM
Post #14

Wow - this is going to be a tall order - especially as you don't live in Sweden and don't speak Swedish!

You will need to be fluent in Swedish at High school graduation level TISUS/Svenska B - depending on your apptitude for languages this will take you on average between 1-4 years of study.

Then you will need to be accepted at a medical school. Medicine is one of the most competitive subjects - there are about 10 applicants for each place - you will need the top grades in ALL subjects - if you have several B grades you won't have a chance of getting in. I knew someone who had a B+ average - yet ended up about 650th on the reserve list.

In addition to having excellent grades you also need to have the right grades in Science:the specific requirements are:
Mathematic gymnasiet level D
Physics gymnasiet level B
Chemistry gymnasiet level B
Biology gymnasiet level B
I cannot find any details of how high school grades from Greece translate into Swedish grades but you should contact VHS who organise admissions to national university programmes as well as evaluate overseas qualifications - see www.vhs.se - you need to get your subjects and grades translated and the approved by VHS before you can apply for courses.

However without Swedish and the national entry requirements in Biology it is not really worth applying as you would be sorted out as "ineligible" at the start of the process. you could study biology either in Greece or in Sweden - as long as VHS accpts your other subjects.

If you take the SweSAT - it can help you gain entry to courses if you have low grades - however it is a very tricky test - AND you must still have the specific requirements of your course so you wont get out of the biology. I notice that some universities are now asking for both - perect school grades + a perfect mark on SWESAT.

What you are looking at is a long term project - if you started learning Swedish today it would be about 10-12 years before you would be a fully qualified doctor - is you are lucky.

You must also consider the practicalities even if you do manage to get accepted:
- could your husband get work in Sweden
- how would you support yourselves while learning Swedish
- the realities of night/weekend shifts while you have small children.

I wouldn't recommend the danish option. From experience I can tell you that Danish is A LOT harder to learn than Swedish (think 3 -6 years) - many Danish medical schools are full of Swedes who have not got in to med school in Sweden - also there is chronic uneployment among newly qualified Danish doctors - many end up having to move to Sweden to get work.

I don't want to discourage you but you need to think about whether you really want this so much that you are preapared for the next 10- 15 years of studying. However it is not impossible - on a positive note Sweden has got many doctors from unusual backgrounds (i knew a doctor who worked for 20 years on the assembly line at Volvo - and then qualified as a docotr in his late 40s).

However I'm not really sure why you want to do med school in Sweden? Could you qualify in Greece? as there are amny qualified docotrs from other EU countries recruited - so is there a chance of coming to Sweden that way.

I hope that this is helpful
+
nassia
post 24.Oct.2006, 08:57 AM
Post #15

Thank you.Yes it was very helpful.A bit dissapointing though smile.gif That's ok.
Well from the very beginning I chose Sweden for the high quality of life.My father was a doctor, and from my experience, Greece is not the right place to practise medicine..The hospitals are horrible, the system also, of course the do not get paid as they should and much much more..I love medicine but this is not the kind of a doctor I want to be...
The educational system here unfortunately sucks .We have a bizzare examination system concerning undergraduate studies which is a failure of course, and that's why so many students study abroad.Ιt changes of course (the system) according the minister's mood. The schools here are closed the past 6 weeks because of the teacher's strike.If you could only imagine...
maybe i should consider France..I know the language.
The point is that, Sweden was my goal...
thank you all though for the quick replies smile.gif smile.gif
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: