The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
  Reply to this topic

How to fight school sickness?

Skipping SFI classes

Commie
post 15.Mar.2013, 04:04 PM
Post #1

I have a problem with my SFI school. Whenever it is time to go to school, I feel like I really, really want to sleep and feel not motivated. I am going to morning courses right now, the problem is, that I come only 1-2 times a week, while I should come 4 times a week. I am surprised I haven't been kicked out yet, in fact I wish there was some kind of punishment for not coming. But everyone seems to be chill about it.

I have tried changing classes to evening and day courses - I started waking up later instead and sleeping during the school times again. I am not lazy when it comes to going to work(I am working extra job in the weekends mornings) or going to the gym 5 times a week even if I feel tired. I believe one of causes of this is an insomnia, because I have been a "night person" for several years. If I got to bed before 01:00 I won't fall asleep(I just keep forcing myself to sleep for 3 hours or so and then give up, but if I will go to school my whole day is ruined because I will feel extremely sleepy after school), and I have to wake up for 07:00 to go to the SFI school. Are there any non-prescription drugs for sleeping you could recommend that I could buy in Stockholm pharmacies?

Saying "just go to school" won't help, I understand that I need to learn Swedish, but I am not thinking straight when I have to wake up to school. In case of my extra work where I also wake up early, I wake up because I know salary is a reward, but nothing motivates me in going to SFI(like oh God, again a bunch of people I have to force myself to communicate with, again monotonous teacher's voice, again 4 hours of mental torture - it's depressing, naaah, I'll go tomorrow).
Go to the top of the page
+
PDX
post 15.Mar.2013, 04:59 PM
Post #2

Why not just quit then?

~~~PDX~~~
+
Puffin
post 16.Mar.2013, 01:55 PM
Post #3

Either quit if you don't really want to be there

Or tell yourself that it is your job - a temporary job - where you cannot just not go
+
Svensksmith
post 16.Mar.2013, 05:22 PM
Post #4

Make it a routine that you do without question. Perhaps going to the gym or a run before you go to school will help wake you up.

That, or quit. The [email protected] approach isn't going to cut it.
+
Elf_Moon
post 17.Mar.2013, 11:14 AM
Post #5

Hello there,

I don't think you need any drugs to fix these issues you are having.

The only way to change it is to focus on the way that you think about it, it sounds to me that you have simply decided at some point to feel this way (even on just a subconscious level) and the only way you can fix it is to sit yourself down and have a good think about these behavior patterns and consider how you could fix this.

When I have problems like this, I just sit down and I try to reason with myself, usually I become aware that I have set up my own barriers and the only way to get on with life at that point is to try to think of it differently.

If you still struggle at that point, then you should consider if it is right for you. But it really does sound as though the issue is a superficial one, easily fixed if you were to just have a good think about it smile.gif
+
djkroo
post 21.Mar.2013, 05:18 PM
Post #6

I tell you how to fight: you need to know that, if you will drop out, you will have to wait for A YEAR TO APPLY AGAIN. They won't take you earlier unless you have a very very good and solid reason for dropping out.

Now do you want to wait a year? I suggest just go till the end and be done with it.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: