The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Average salary to live in Gothenburg

salary, expenses etc

saurabh14aug
post 25.Feb.2018, 01:20 PM
Post #1

Hi,

I got a job offer from a company offering 35000 SEK per month of salary before tax. They have mentioned that I need to pay 30% tax on top of that which means I will end up with 24500 SEK per month. Is it a good salary to live a decent life in gothenburg for a single person. What about for 2 people? Also, how easy it is to get veg stuff there? I am vegetarian.

Thanks
Go to the top of the page
+
intrepidfox
post 25.Feb.2018, 01:48 PM
Post #2

QUOTE (saurabh14aug @ 25.Feb.2018, 01:20 PM) *
Hi,I got a job offer from a company offering 35000 SEK per month of salary before tax. They have mentioned that I need to pay 30% tax on top of that which means I will end up ... (show full quote)

A good salary even for 2. I have a 2 bedroom flat with 2 balconies and 2 toliets and pay 6300 a month. We are earning after tax less than what you will get and we live a good life

Most shops have veggie food even vegan
+
mjennin2
post 25.Feb.2018, 02:23 PM
Post #3

I don't work right now (I'm at home with our toddler) but my husband has a pre-tax salary of 42-43.000:- and we live extremely comfortably. He works in Mölndal and commutes (we live about 80 minutes into the countryside), but we own our own home on a lot of land, have dogs and cats and goats and chickens, cars, etc. And of course we have the baby and us two adults. So I would imagine you'd be getting by just fine on 35.000:- as a single person!

Also, we are both vegetarian and it is extremely easy to get everything we need. All good quality, fresh foods, super easy. I came from Los Angeles where I was a vegan and I will say, the scene out there is much larger than it is here; out there, it's trendy. Here, it just... "is". Depending on where you come from, you might not find like an immensely overdone selection of options, but they literally have everything you need to either make stuff yourself, or purchase pre-packaged. Just shop at ICA Maxi or any of the other large grocery stories (we only have an ICA Nära near us, so I drive 45 minutes to get to the Maxi because pickin's are slim at the small Nära establishments).
+
saurabh14aug
post 25.Feb.2018, 02:53 PM
Post #4

Thanks for your replies smile.gif. Really helpful!
+
the_dome
post 25.Feb.2018, 03:16 PM
Post #5

It is good salary but boring lifestyle. Göteborg is extremely boring when you come from Stockholm and then Stockholm is extremely boring when coming from any central European capital or USA or Asia.
I like visiting Göteborg but only for a few day's and could never imagine myself living there
+
intrepidfox
post 25.Feb.2018, 06:10 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (the_dome @ 25.Feb.2018, 03:16 PM) *
It is good salary but boring lifestyle. Göteborg is extremely boring when you come from Stockholm and then Stockholm is extremely boring when coming from any central European ... (show full quote)

The best thing about Stockholm is the train to Göteborg.

I feel the same as you but the opposite. Stockholm is a horrible place, no character, ghetto like and the 08`s are so snobby. Gbg anytime
+
mjennin2
post 26.Feb.2018, 04:27 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (the_dome @ 25.Feb.2018, 03:16 PM) *
Göteborg is extremely boring when you come from Stockholm and then Stockholm is extremely boring when coming from any central European capital or USA or Asia.I like visiting ... (show full quote)

I beg to differ. I came from Los Angeles and have plenty of fun in Gothenburg, I'm able to do all the same things I did in LA, from climbing gyms to gokarting to theatre to beach volleyball (Gbg has the world's largest indoor sand complex!!) Plenty of parks, lots of nature outside the city, indoor waterparks, lots of shopping, plenty of places to get blasted, etc.

I actually wonder what you find boring about it? I went to Stockholm for a trip to get my daughter's passports and it just seemed like a giant tourist trap with no parking for miles blink.gif
+
freetec1978
post 26.Feb.2018, 08:50 PM
Post #8

That was exactly the same salary I got 4 years ago when I came to Sweden to start working here.
35k is definitely ok for one even two living in Göteborg. But it also depends on what quality and standard of living you are looking for.
+
TLSucks
post 26.Feb.2018, 10:47 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (saurabh14aug @ 25.Feb.2018, 01:20 PM) *
Hi,I got a job offer from a company offering 35000 SEK per month of salary before tax. They have mentioned that I need to pay 30% tax on top of that which means I will end up ... (show full quote)

35000kr pre tax will give you 26172kr post tax: https://www.ekonomifakta.se/Fakta/Skatter/R...KMG5G2iLHW2Pox3

The biggest obstacle is to find a place to live. The rental market is non-functioning and you will at most get a short-term sublease of 1-2 years at great expense (at least 10kkr for a 1-2 bedroom apartment) if you do not have connections. The other option is to buy which is now as expensive as renting (just counting interest rate payments and association fee, not amortization). If you can settle to live at least half an hour from the center by car, then you might have better chances to find something reasonably priced. I would advice you to ask you potential employer for help with accommodation.
+
TLSucks
post 26.Feb.2018, 10:53 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (intrepidfox @ 25.Feb.2018, 01:48 PM) *
A good salary even for 2. I have a 2 bedroom flat with 2 balconies and 2 toliets and pay 6300 a month. We are earning after tax less than what you will get and we live a good ... (show full quote)

Yes, this is what you can get after a long wait in the housing queue. I guess you got this flat a couple of years ago when the queue (although it is not really a queue) was still reasonable. Today you can expect at least a 6 year wait (in any part of the city) before you have a reasonable chance to get such a well priced flat. If you settle for an expensive flat, the wait is a bit shorter, but not much.
+
saurabh14aug
post 6.Mar.2018, 04:24 PM
Post #11

It would be great if someone could give some idea about how much a software developer with 7 years of experience normally gets now. Also, assuming that I spend almost 10k SEK for the accommodation, how much I would be able to save with a decent lifestyle? Decent lifestyle would mean one/two dinner(vegetarian) outside over the weekend, a movie per weekend and once in a while to some pub.
+

Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: