The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Experienced Teacher looking for work and alternatives UMEA

roch
post 3.Sep.2007, 08:51 AM
Post #1

Hi, I am new to Sweden, Umea. I have 11 1/2 Years teaching experience, from New Zealand and 7 1/2 years in the UK.
I have tried Google searches etc.. but am still no closer to finding websites, teaching agencies, supply agencies etc that have listings or where I can leave my CV. I am open to any type of work where my skills can be transferred not necessarily teaching! I have taught across all age groups from 4 years to the age of 15 years in ALL subject areas!
Does anyone have any contact websties, phone numbers etc
I am not fussed whether it is part times or full time, any work for the experience and the foot in the door is great!I am beginner level Swedish.
Cheers Rochelle
Go to the top of the page
+
HALE
post 3.Sep.2007, 09:11 AM
Post #2

Try this group of private schools that are all over sweden.
They have applications for english speaking teachers to apply for jobs.

www.engelska.se
+
*Lucien Grey*
post 3.Sep.2007, 10:38 AM
Post #3

I'm assuming you have a B.Ed for equivalent seeing as you have so much experience. I f so you need to study and pass swedish A and B courses and then get your degree validated by högskoleverket before you can teach in the state system so the private system could be a good option as this can take time. I should be more precise, you can work in the state system but only on supply until you validate, to work on supply you register with a supply pool which is usually with your kommun, (you need to get a police check done locally and maybe from england too-you know an enhanced disclosure.)but you can also approach schools yourself and this can usually be good for you to do, as an english speaker you have many opportunities. As an english teacher you are a valuable commodity so dont let them shortsell you, as happened to me when I first got here. Good luck.

Lucien
+
Achtung
post 3.Sep.2007, 01:58 PM
Post #4

Have you tried the folkuniversitet umeå website ?
Here's the link:

http://www.folkuniversitetet.se/templates/ort.aspx?id=2543

They have an english version on their website as well, albeit with less materials. I know several non-swedish people who have taught there. However, I have no idea how's the salary, how many hours of teaching per week you'll get, etc.
Cheers
+
Puffin
post 3.Sep.2007, 06:11 PM
Post #5

There are not so many International schools in Umeå but I did find details of this one - which offers an international english speaking curriculum
Östra Gymnasieskolan
Fridhemsvägen 2 Grades 10-12
SE-903 37 Umeå
Box 1443
SE-901 24 Umeå
Phone: +46 90 16 29 00
Fax: +46 90 14 37 91
E-mail: ostragymn@umea.se
Internet: www.uk.umea.se/ostra/
The international section of Östra Gymnasieskolan has about 100 students
and offers grades 10-12. The school follows the international
curriculum set by the International Baccalaureate Organization, and
the teaching language is English. The school is open to all, but students
must pass tests in English as well as admission interviews.
Tuition: Swedish residents, free; others, about SEK 60,000 per year.
For information about higher education in Sweden, please visit the
Swedish Institute's web site: www.studyin.sweden.se.
fact sheet

If you want to have your teaching qualifications fully recognised in Sweden you need to apply to the Higher Education Agency (Högskoleverket)http://www.hsv.se/foreigndegrees/teachingcertificates.4.539a949110f3d5914ec800063376.html
However you will need fluent gymnasiet level Swedish.

However given your experience it might be a good idea to ring gymnasiet schools (16-19 education) and komvux (adult education) to see if there are any temporary vacancies for English teachers. My expereince is that most head teachers ring someone they know/have met when it comes to finding a teacher to fill in for a couple of months. You could also find out online whether any of the Gymnasiet schools (6th form colleges) have English language programmes where all subjects are taught in English.

There are some teaching jobs available
http://platsbanken.ams.se/region/20911/140000,1.html
+
Rap43
post 3.Sep.2007, 07:45 PM
Post #6

Hey roch,

I have been teaching English, more or less full-time, since I came to Sweden. I have always worked through private language companies and while they most often only offer contract work, there is a lot of work out there.

Pick up the telephone book look up English or language schools or companies. Then check the Internet - are they in Stockholm (read: centre-of-earth-and-heaven)? No worries, apply anyway the further away you are from centre-of-earth-and-heaven, the better - they can't find anyone out there in the wilderness. Send them your CV - in English. Next check platsbanken - apply for anything in the entire country that asks for English.

In Sweden it is NEVER about qualifications - it is all about networks. Swedish networks are very, very small and very very tight. They don't have to meet you - all it takes is one person to say: "Hey! I got a CV from an English-speaker in Umeå... wait, here's the number... and PRESTO! you have a job - because someone who knows someone said so.

People who complain about not being able to get a job in Sweden have never discovered this simple, highly effective, little trick.

Good luck!
+
Norrman
post 3.Sep.2007, 09:09 PM
Post #7

(- because someone who knows someone said so.
People who complain about not being able to get a job in Sweden have never discovered this simple, highly effective, little trick.

quote]

How do you explain that to somebody who is qualified, speaks fluent Swedish and has applied for hundreds of jobs without so much as getting a job interview ? Think it has a little bit more to do with having knowledge about this little trick as you put it. :roll:
+
Puffin
post 4.Sep.2007, 08:06 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (Rap43)
Hey roch,

I have been teaching English, more or less full-time, since I came to Sweden. I have always worked through private language companies and while they most often only offer contract work, there is a lot of work out there.

Pick up the telephone book look up English or language schools or companies. Then check the Internet - are they in Stockholm (read: centre-of-earth-and-heaven)? No worries, apply anyway the further away you are from centre-of-earth-and-heaven, the better - they can't find anyone out there in the wilderness. Send them your CV - in English. Next check platsbanken - apply for anything in the entire country that asks for English.

In Sweden it is NEVER about qualifications - it is all about networks. Swedish networks are very, very small and very very tight. They don't have to meet you - all it takes is one person to say: "Hey! I got a CV from an English-speaker in Umeå... wait, here's the number... and PRESTO! you have a job - because someone who knows someone said so.

Good luck!

Perhaps you can give OP some contacts in Umeå then as you have it so well sorted out
+
roch
post 5.Sep.2007, 11:38 AM
Post #9

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for your helpful advice! biggrin.gif
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: