The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Australian moving to Sweden

Would love to hear your experiences

bellabee88
post 23.Feb.2017, 04:26 PM
Post #1

Hi everyone,

My situation is currently dire at the moment and I need a little bit of perspective and hear some experiences from yourselves about moving to Sweden. Background story, I have been living in Germany now for almost a year on a working holiday visa (WHV) through the mutual VISA agreement between Australia and Germany. I have been working at the biggest German car rental company for the majority of the time that I have spent living here. In the next few weeks my WHV is about to expire; and hearing from other Australians and other nonEU workers in my company who are in the similar situation as me is that there is an unlikely chance that I will be able to change my VISA from a WHV to a general working visa as all of them have been rejected due to the nature of the job that we have, which is in a call centre in the UK Reservations department. There are many reasons I'm sure but the main reason is that we work quite a relatively low wage whereby the German government believe is unjust especially considering the majority of the international workers are university graduates and that we should be earning at least 2000Euro a month. Now due to my colleagues all getting rejected, I'm anticipating the same result will happen to me. I have decided that I don't actually want to go back to Australia (as it has always been a dream of mine to emigrate to a European country ever since I was a little girl) that I have made a list of places that I could potentially go to. Sweden was actually the place I intended to move to but decided Germany last minute due to the language barrier, as I already had a background in German. So I've decided to move to Sweden, as I visited Stockholm briefly last year in May for Eurovision and I loved it.

What I would like to know is, would it be worth applying for jobs whilst I'm here in Germany prior to actually moving to Sweden OR should I just move to a Swedish city and apply for jobs there on the fly?

What would be the chance of getting a Graphic Design job as a native english speaker with zero Swedish language skills?

I've also been advised that finding an apartment in Stockholm is very difficult, but would this include flatshare apartments or are those very rare?

I appreciate any input as I am currently stressed out about my situation and just need any word that can help. A huge thank you for taking the time to read!
Go to the top of the page
+
yet another brit
post 23.Feb.2017, 06:05 PM
Post #2

Hi,

Well, I love Sweden, and have never regretted it. As you may note from the tone of the forum, this isn't a universal experience. And of course Sweden isn't the utopia it would like to be (it isn't Beirut either. It isn't even Tower Hamlets).

What I would like to know is, would it be worth applying for jobs whilst I'm here in Germany prior to actually moving to Sweden OR should I just move to a Swedish city and apply for jobs there on the fly?

You're from Aus, yes? So you can come and look for work with a working holiday visa - https://www.migrationsverket.se/English/Pri...outh-Korea.html

But I would try to get a job first - always easier.

What would be the chance of getting a Graphic Design job as a native english speaker with zero Swedish language skills?

Not impossible if you find the right contacts ... but not easy either at a guess. You absolute best strategy is to use whatever contacts you have, get a job, then come here.

I've also been advised that finding an apartment in Stockholm is very difficult, but would this include flatshare apartments or are those very rare?

Flatshare is unusual (because so much of the housing stock is small apartments). Finding a bedroom to rent in someone else flat is somewhat more common. But you have been advised correctly - it is very, very difficult to find cheap rental accommodation for a single person in Stockholm.
+
Gjeebes
post 23.Feb.2017, 08:40 PM
Post #3

Well, if you actually paid money and took the time to travel to Sweden, to subject yourself to Eurovision, live, you may just like Sweden.

But from your situation, I don't think you will make things any less dire by jumping from Germany (now your frying pan) into Sweden (the fire) for no other reason than you will likely not be able to remain in Germany.

It is a nice dream to want to live in Europe, but it is not easy, as you are experiencing.

I could not in good faith recommend you moving here, but if you simply MUST, then you MUST already have these things BEFORE you arrive: 1) a job and 2) a rental contract.

I don't know your experiences as a traveller, but you surely realise, travelling somewhere for a quick getaway to have some fun (assuming attending Eurovision actually was fun somehow) in no way represents the reality of living in that place.

Sweden is by the map, part of Europe, but functions much differently than what many consider as a "European" standard. Its backwards as all hell. A quick visit doesn't reveal it. That takes time, and by then, its too late.

You are very unlikely to get a decent job, and even if you did, you are even less likely to get a decent flat without being completely ripped-off due to the savvy Swedes' total exploitation of laws of supply and demand.

Do yourself a favour, don't move to Sweden. There is a very high probability you will completely regret it.

Germany rocks! Try to figure out something there, you will be far better off in the long run.
+
Mistress_Of_Doom
post 24.Feb.2017, 10:36 AM
Post #4

"What I would like to know is, would it be worth applying for jobs whilst I'm here in Germany prior to actually moving to Sweden"

I'm going to straight up say no. I've tried that before and I received no replies, and my industry is listed as "in high demand". My application for a working holiday visa as a NZ citizen took almost a year to be processed, due to the amount of applications they are receiving. No employer is going to wait that long for you. Not to mention, they are much more likely to hire people who can speak Swedish. Of course people can speak English too, but that's more of a bonus skill. I don't mean to be a downer, but I am being realistic.
+
Mistress_Of_Doom
post 24.Feb.2017, 10:42 AM
Post #5

Btw, I am only doing fine here in Sweden because I previously saved up $10k NZD and I have a Swedish bf to stay with. I do intend to find work for experience and food money, but I do believe it would be much harder to just move here with no contacts.
+
bellabee88
post 24.Feb.2017, 05:28 PM
Post #6

thanks for all the replies! I really appreciate it and it's totally given me some perspective. I'm still considering moving to Sweden however I think I will try and be more prepared with the actual logistics of the move. I definitely need to do more research and talk to friends of mine that have lived/live in Stockholm. Realistically, I should travel to Stockholm or elsewhere in Sweden more longer than a week unlike before to really try and get to know how Swedish people are and life in general. After reading some threads on here it seems that Sweden doesn't seem to be this perfect place that people generally assume and foreigners/expats seem to have quite a negative time there but obviously could be different for everyone.
+
wallace1837
post 25.Feb.2017, 11:08 AM
Post #7

Here is the political will. You can compare your situation with it:
http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/771728...reedom-movement

http://www.thelocal.se/jobs/article/swedis...foreign-workers
+
Cheeseroller
post 26.Feb.2017, 10:10 AM
Post #8

If you do a search on "graphic design", you will find additional comments that may be useful. One suggests game companies may be have demand.

Regarding flat share and rooms, join this group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/146281422217393/

You may also want to consider signing up with www.upwork.com - I've hired graphic designers etc there.
+
Cheeseroller
post 26.Feb.2017, 10:17 AM
Post #9

Have you consider Holland? Apart from most speaking English, by the border with Germany they speak German. Masstricht is a beautiful town - apartment rents are pricey in the centre though - but if you have a car you could live outside. I believe there are English speaking call centres in the area too. Depending where you live in Germany, you could possibly drive to interviews - cheaper than taking flights. Might be worth doing some research.
+
Cheeseroller
post 26.Feb.2017, 10:21 AM
Post #10

https://www.indeed.nl/vacature-bekijken?jk=...cace3277f6b99df

http://www.jobinamsterdam.com/search?q=graphic

https://www.adamsrecruitment.com/about-us/about-adams.html

There are more results if you google "English jobs in Holland"
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: