The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
14 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 > »    Reply to this topic

Job discrimination based on heritage?

Hard time getting callbacks

Svedallas
post 4.Aug.2017, 11:33 AM
Post #151

QUOTE (Tenacious185 @ 4.Aug.2017, 08:17 AM) *
This is only my personal experience/observation, so it might not be worth Jack Sh*t, but I think the biggest obstacle to not finding work here is the language barrier. If you ... (show full quote)

Yes, language is very important. But I know some people who have lived in Sweden for most of their life, consider Swedish their native language, and still do not get a job, or are stuck in low jobs because they are not seen as Swedish enough.

I think they safe play that even though someone will have the skill, language, the "diversity" is almost a culture shock to have someone with a different background.
So preferential treatment and indeed discrimination is given on that basis, that they are afraid of change.

Of course, it makes more sense for non native now to only stick with international companies. That is how I see it. But competition is still extremely high. But at least those type of companies give a fair chance.
Go to the top of the page
+
Tenacious185
post 5.Aug.2017, 12:20 PM
Post #152

QUOTE (Svedallas @ 4.Aug.2017, 12:33 PM) *
But I know some people who have lived in Sweden for most of their life, consider Swedish their native language, and still do not get a job, or are stuck in low jobs because th ... (show full quote)

Good point, Svedallas. I have no doubt that this happens, but I can't speak to that, because I don't look all that "foreign" in Sweden, but as soon as I speak - they know I'm not one of "them". ;-)

So I chalk up most of my earlier difficulties finding a good job here to language, and as you said, a LOT of competition for very few jobs. I believe you when you say that fear of change, and stepping outside one's comfort zone has prompted some Swedish employers to exclude certain applicants.

You're right about the international companies. Where I work now is very diverse, and has upwards of 30 different nationalities employed there. They do welcome diversity, but the jobs are scarce and tough to get, because all the foreigners, AND the Swedes who speak good English - which is most of them - are applying for those positions.
+
Svedallas
post 6.Aug.2017, 09:26 AM
Post #153

QUOTE (baralillajag @ 5.Aug.2017, 03:15 PM) *
Sorry to hear that but I totally understand, but I use two surnames just to get around it also. On the other hand, you shouldn't underestimate the need to speak Swedish in ... (show full quote)

Surname does not make that much of a difference these days.
Unless the name is through via. adopted name or marriage. If a person actually changes their name just to seek "acceptance", it says quite the opposite and comes across as really suspicious. Especially with all that is going on in the political/religious front.

But yes, you are right, you can get by with English but not for long, Swedish will always be the most important factor.
+
Tenacious185
post 6.Aug.2017, 05:21 PM
Post #154

QUOTE (Svedallas @ 6.Aug.2017, 10:26 AM) *
Surname does not make that much of a difference these days.If a person actually changes their name just to seek "acceptance", it says quite the opposite and comes ac ... (show full quote)

Agreed - veering too far away from who you actually are for no explainable reason is likely to raise red flags. Best to just be yourself, market yourself as creatively as possible, and work on your Swedish. Foreigners have a steeper uphill climb, but being both honest AND making an effort to be able to communicate in Swedish are probably the best ways of leveling the playing field. Somewhat. ;-)
+
rajarana
post 8.Aug.2017, 01:03 PM
Post #155

QUOTE (Twiceshy @ 4.Aug.2017, 04:09 AM) *
Correction; Fried Chicken x 58,220 portions. Sealed box delivery.. [attachment=6032:westboro_child_1_.jpg]

Shots fired ... hot dayummm biggrin.gif

Welcome to the forum Twiceshy. TL really needs the counter-balance to some of their members spewing non-stop hatred towards anything that is not white and/or Swedish. People have tried to argue with them using facts before, but as you have seen these just bounce off of their heads, with that hollow sound indicative of whats inside.

A little intro to these members you have been trying to educate:

1. Gamla: Our resident troll. All it cares about is having a laugh. Do not feed.
2. Bsmith: Slightly better intentioned although far worse intellectually. Big believer in "alternative facts". Best to be pitied more than argued with.
3. Svedellas: Arab guy who hates free speech. Best left ignored.

Most of the active contributors in TL are British and most of them are quite well-intentioned, although I daresay equally ignorant about the things you mention. Thanks to these member, TL is still a viable source of useful information on anything Swedish.

Welcome again and 10/10 for that eloquence of language smile.gif
+
Twiceshy
post 8.Aug.2017, 04:37 PM
Post #156

QUOTE (rajarana @ 8.Aug.2017, 02:03 PM) *
Shots fired ... hot dayummm biggrin.gif. Welcome again and 10/10 for that eloquence of language smile.gif

Thanks Rajarana. Appreciate the zoological profile of my counter-parts. The jungle contains all kinds of species, but sometimes it is hard to understand the purpose of some of 'em.

I pity regular morons and leave them alone, but one of my hobbies is to shoot down the arrogant among the feeble-minded. It is easy pickings though. If you have not got an education, no passport, no class, inability to put things in a historical context, poor command of your mother-tongue as well as a cunty attitude, then you are fair game, soon to be K.O.

So what about you? From seeing your username I have to ask; are you a Desi? I am a big fan of Bharat Mata (as well as critical about her, as one should be), and I have spent quite a long time there.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 8.Aug.2017, 05:13 PM
Post #157

Oh, my!!!

A bromance on the rise, here at Thelocal...

Can't wait for the cooing and cuddling to begin... laugh.gif

Please be vivid in the wording of your intimacy, we are adults here and don't like anything but the real McCoy!!!
+
Twiceshy
post 8.Aug.2017, 05:20 PM
Post #158

QUOTE (Gamla H?lsingebock @ 8.Aug.2017, 06:13 PM) *
I am so envious

Now now ye olde goat. You can find loving too. You just need to cancel your current subscription to life and hope for better luck next time. Here's a wish hoping that your next reincarnation avatar will be as an Afghani catamite. Maybe you can find a call-center to work at, and in the off-hours you can ponder the wonders of colonisation. Poetic justice Attached Image
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 8.Aug.2017, 06:14 PM
Post #159

Is that you in the middle???

Who/what does your hair??? laugh.gif
+
Twiceshy
post 8.Aug.2017, 07:22 PM
Post #160

QUOTE (Gamla H?lsingebock @ 8.Aug.2017, 07:14 PM) *
Is that you in the middle???. Who/what does your hair??? laugh.gif

Come come now you amerifat. Act your age.
+
LLHope
post 8.Aug.2017, 07:50 PM
Post #161

QUOTE (Twiceshy @ 2.Aug.2017, 01:42 AM) *
"cause at least they got call centers now"

Indirectly yes!
There is a saying that history is written by the victors. The jury is still out as to who the real victors are in this instance.

Between 1870 and 1930 Britain took only approx 1% of the wealth from India. If you compare that to other European nations and their "lands", it is far far less. During the same period it invested approx 400 MILLION GBP, introduced irrigation that gave an 8-fold increase in farming land, developed a coal industry that didnt exist before. Land owners, Indian princes, indian middle class all gained in terms of job & business opportunities that didnt exist before. It is very fair to claim that ordinary (poor) indians gained very little, but it has to be balanced against the fact that it didnt get worse for them, in fact they were treated even worse before the British came, and there is no evidence to show they would have been any better off being left in the situation they had before the British came.
+
Twiceshy
post 8.Aug.2017, 08:05 PM
Post #162

QUOTE (LLHope @ 8.Aug.2017, 08:50 PM) *
Between 1870 and 1930 is my cherrypicked time-frame.

Cool story. Not relevant though. What about the loss in production resulting from Dyer's atrocity, all the other atrocities and the hundreds of thousands of man-years lost to random incarcerations? What about the Zamindar system? What about the 1 million dead from the partition? The 3 million dead from famine in 1943. What about the GDP that was one of the highest in the world before colonisation, and one of the lowest during?

At least there is some justice to see that the UK has turned into a sick man. In pure hideousness, your suburban brick-sprawl is comparable to the Indian 'burbs.

Pity that Bose died. You'd have had Japanese troops marching through Iran, turning off the southern Soviet supply route. Seems like you have Mahatma Gandhi to thank for the fact that you are not speaking German now.

You should probably go down to the nearest curry-house and prostrate yourself for the dishwasher.
+
Svedallas
post 8.Aug.2017, 08:09 PM
Post #163

QUOTE (rajarana @ 8.Aug.2017, 02:03 PM) *
Shots fired ... hot dayummm Welcome to the forum Twiceshy. TL really needs the counter-balance to some of their members spewing non-stop hatred towards anything that is not wh ... (show full quote)

Arab. Oh, I am offended. laugh.gif
+
Twiceshy
post 8.Aug.2017, 08:10 PM
Post #164

QUOTE (Svedallas @ 8.Aug.2017, 09:09 PM) *
Arab. Oh, I am offended. laugh.gif

Sure beats Uhmerrikun. Any fkn day.
+
Svedallas
post 8.Aug.2017, 08:15 PM
Post #165

QUOTE (Twiceshy @ 8.Aug.2017, 09:10 PM) *
Sure beats Uhmerrikun. Any fkn day.

Guess you are a follower of the ideology of peace then.
+

14 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 > » 
Reply to this topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: