The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >   Reply to this topic

Gun laws around the world

Discuss opinions on various aspects of gun laws

skogsbo
post 7.Sep.2019, 10:38 AM
Post #16

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 7.Sep.2019, 07:49 AM) *
What a way to face up to the problems affecting your community.

Well meaning sentiment won't get any legislation changed in the USA. So I'd just rather no move to country where people felt they need to be armed.

If sweden ended up going down that route, I'd have no issue in selling up and moving elsewhere.
Go to the top of the page
+
Saywhatwhat
post 7.Sep.2019, 10:50 AM
Post #17

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 7.Sep.2019, 11:38 AM) *
Well meaning sentiment won't get any legislation changed in the USA. So I'd just rather no move to country where people felt they need to be armed. If sweden ended up ... (show full quote)

Uh? It does and it has.

And a large amount don’t feel the need to be armed and a large amount want things changed... they don’t just give up, give in and move away.
+
Bsmith
post 7.Sep.2019, 12:06 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 7.Sep.2019, 05:32 AM) *
I guess that's where we differ. If I lived in a country where I felt that need, I'd move.

Yes, we disagree on that point. I enjoy target shooting and use my .22 on varmints and have put down hogs with it when we raised them. As far as self defense goes, I feel better having guns but hope that I never have the need to use them. So far, in my 60 plus years of life (mostly in the US), I never have had to.
+
skogsbo
post 7.Sep.2019, 07:22 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 7.Sep.2019, 12:06 PM) *

I'm ex British military, 20 plus years. I've been to less fun places where I've carried 24/7 For months on end. Now in sweden I've got a hunting licence and thus a weapon licence here. But if things every got bad enough for there to be school massacres annually, or a feeling of things not quite feeling right or safe (which I can judge reasonably well) etc. I'd been gone.

Yes I know the population is lower. So one massacre here every 50 years is arguably the same as annual in the USA.
+
Bsmith
post 7.Sep.2019, 11:14 PM
Post #20

I understand...but where to go? The town we live in currently has a low crime rate and is close to a bigger city where there are things to do but the crime rate there is higher. We are actually contemplating where we will move once I fully retire. We both want a place with a fairly low population and crime rate but enough population to have things to do and access to good medical care, etc. We have a few places in mind and are semi looking to get an idea of what is available for the $.
+
Saywhatwhat
post 10.Sep.2019, 07:43 PM
Post #21

I think we could all agree that it would be nice for mass shootings and school shootings to be a thing of the past.

Like smoking cigarettes. When we look back and think how ridiculous it was for people to smoke anywhere and everywhere.
+
Bsmith
post 10.Sep.2019, 11:02 PM
Post #22

A better example would be alcohol. I enjoy drinking a cold beer from time to time, but there are people out there who cannot handle drinking and it ruins their and their families lives. Should alcohol therefore be banned because of the few who cannot control themselves?
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 10.Sep.2019, 11:29 PM
Post #23

Alcohol has been banned in many places including the USA and it does not work anywhere, over the centuries it has been banned several times in Sweden too...

I'm betting if it were to be banned again, a politician is guaranteed an election victory if he/she promised to lift that ban!!! rolleyes.gif laugh.gif
+
Saywhatwhat
post 11.Sep.2019, 07:09 AM
Post #24

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 11.Sep.2019, 12:02 AM) *
A better example would be alcohol. I enjoy drinking a cold beer from time to time, but there are people out there who cannot handle drinking and it ruins their and their fami ... (show full quote)

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 11.Sep.2019, 12:29 AM) *
Alcohol has been banned in many places including the USA and it does not work anywhere, over the centuries it has been banned several times in Sweden too...I'm betting if ... (show full quote)

You seem to be fixated on BAN, when no one speaks of a ban.

Alcohol was definitely regulated though. So you are right, let’s do the same with guns. Create legislation to regulate the sales and distribution, etc etc. Other than hurting themselves and their close ones, someone with an alcohol problem is most dangerous when they have a gun....

To your point of “a few who can’t control themselves”—- it’s not just a few.... but for those who can’t control themselves, talking about guns now, “the bad guys”—- why do we make it so easy for them to get gun? There will always be bad guys... we don’t need to make it easy for them to get guns. Plain and simple. If someone hasn’t controlled themselves in the past, alcohol problem, domestic abuse... they should t have access to guns.

There have been plenty of health and safety regulations implemented when humans realized things are dangerous... cars without seatbelts, smoking everywhere.

What’s amazing is that your kind seems to want mass shootings and school shootings to keep happening because you dont want to do anything about it. Some people say we need to help the mentally ill... well, yes, but we can also make it damn hard for them to buy or piece together a gun.

Look up the Netherlands gun laws... I don’t see why we can’t have the same regulation... and guess what... people still get guns!

+
Saywhatwhat
post 11.Sep.2019, 07:44 AM
Post #25

Let’s think of this... since you compare it to alcohol.

Someone is drinking alcohol on a bus...

Someone is shooting a gun on a bus...

See the difference?

If someone is smoking on the bus and people confront them... they may get burned or at the least smell like smoke... they won’t get smoked
+
Bsmith
post 11.Sep.2019, 11:44 AM
Post #26

What if it is the bus driver drinking alcohol and he/she crashes and kills 50 people?
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 11.Sep.2019, 03:03 PM
Post #27

Guilty if he is carrying a gun!!!
+
Saywhatwhat
post 11.Sep.2019, 04:01 PM
Post #28

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 11.Sep.2019, 12:44 PM) *
What if it is the bus driver drinking alcohol and he/she crashes and kills 50 people?

A tragedy indeed and I hope preventative measures would be taken for that to not happen again, at least reduce the risk... a simple breathalyzer for bus drivers to start their vehicle would be great.

There has been a lot of effort to reduce traffic accident and drunk driving. Seatbelts for one, education, the need to register oneself and get a license after passing safety tests, in regards to alcohol- breathalyzers, random check points, open container laws (some states you need to drive with alcohol in trunk).

So yea, to go back to your point, new laws should go into place so a bus driver can’t jeopardize people’s safety by drunk driving... require breathalyzers to start the vehicle... that should go for all cars.
+
Bsmith
post 12.Sep.2019, 12:32 PM
Post #29

Now we have had another mass knifing: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/...ing/2284947001/

Time to ban all sharp knives!
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 12.Sep.2019, 02:30 PM
Post #30

Yes!!!

If we cannot ban the knives we will ban the sharpeners!!!

We'll show those "deplorables" whose the boss!!!
+

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: