The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Moving to UK from Sweden

.. what to expect?

the_partisan
post 29.May.2011, 08:09 PM
Post #1

After living in Sweden for 8 years, I decided it's time for a change and am moving to UK in a few months (with a job already arranged.. working as a software engineer).. I am curious about what to expect, and would be happy to get some more information from people who have lived in both countries!

p.s: I am originally Turkish.
Go to the top of the page
+
*skyjuice*
post 29.May.2011, 08:54 PM
Post #2

1) People everywhere! London is a mega city of 10M people... and the tube is tiny! Noisy everywhere! Tube is a lot of stress... but luckily I walk to my office... these days I travel by bus+tube+train to client's office and I have a headache each time...
2) The condition of the accommodation is... oh well, just lower your expectation otherwise you won't find anything... I spent 4 months...
3) Pollution. I don't really go near to the traffic, just stroll by residential area etc but at the end of the day found there are much dirt everywhere in my body!
4) I think somebody from Scandinavian culture would come across as 'shy' or 'disinterested' in the British culture where they are pretty verbal and could be aggressive in comparison...
on the good part...
5) plenty of things to do, all the time!!
6) really easy to make friends & assimilate!
7) food is shit, but u get a good international mix!
+
Luckystrike
post 30.May.2011, 10:13 AM
Post #3

In terms of London, Skyjuice is spot on!
+
*Dziree*
post 30.May.2011, 11:29 AM
Post #4

Skyjuice pretty much summed it up. But I'll add that compared to Sweden, or should I say Stockholm, finding accommodation is quite easy.

Good Points
* Food and drinks are cheap
* Social life is great
* Accommodation is reasonable if not looking in the center of London
* Cosmopolitan City and there's something for everyone here
* People are friendly and accommodating

Bad Points

* Transport is ridiculously expensive
* Trains are always delayed and permanently have engineering works at the weekend
* Weather is ever changing
* A bit dirty compared to Sweden
+
In a Past Life
post 30.May.2011, 11:53 AM
Post #5

There is a lot more to the UK than London...but anyway...

Best of luck mate...I'd rate the UK far higher than Sweden in all measures from the countryside, coastline to the cities and all that's going on, the heritage, popular culture etc...it's a much more interesting place and far easier to integrate. It's more open minded and welcoming to people of all nationalities. And no the food is not shit, that's an outdated cliche.

Ciao!
+
kreed_uk
post 30.May.2011, 04:15 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (skyjuice @ 29.May.2011, 08:54 PM) *
1) People everywhere! London is a mega city of 10M people... and the tube is tiny! Noisy everywhere! Tube is a lot of stress... but luckily I walk to my office... ... (show full quote)

Spot on apart from 7. The food in the UK is far better than in Sweden.

I would also add:

Positive
- Better customer service. Customer service doesn't seem to exist here.
- More choice e.g (Food, Electronics)
- Apart form accommodation I would say that it's cheaper.
- No hive mentality

Negative
- Crime is a lot higher than in Sweden
+
mightyMonkey
post 31.May.2011, 09:01 AM
Post #7

I think you will feel a little more connected to the rest of the world and if you are young you should appreciate it is a better place for youth culture.

There is a thriving Turkish community and a "fair play" attitude I don't think you get everywhere in Europe. I think you'll enjoy it but if you are not a city person, you'll probably want to stay out of London.
+
Streja
post 1.Jun.2011, 01:09 PM
Post #8

I agree with the other posters.

If you decide on London, make sure you try all the clubs. They're great.
+
Mib
post 1.Jun.2011, 08:54 PM
Post #9

Accomodation & travel is bery expensive for less quality. However, you'll integrate into a cosmopolitan city. Nightlife is great and the contrasts between the various parts of London make it a very interesting place to explore. The Olympics is next year, which will create a buzz. Nightlife is good, although there are a lot of idiots wanting to fight after a night of drinking to excess.

You may feel more enclosed and surrounded by noise, but it some way that is part of London's charm. Easy to yravel anywhere from London to explore. At least you won't have to learn a new language!

You'll have fun and the experience will be varied.
+
Bathtub Viking
post 29.Jan.2012, 09:15 AM
Post #10

One thing my UK experience has done is to totally spoil me for cheap lettuce. Wherever in the world I go these days, I check if any place else has proper lettuce for 34 pence, like at Tesco's or ASDA, and none ever seems to. Sadly, that's pretty much where the price miracle ends, because everything else is quite pricey.

A few other things are nice about life in the UK though: You never worry about health insurance, because it's universal, and everybody is covered without much fuss. Also, taxes are ridiculously low - I've never been anywhere before or since where even a good earner will take home 78% of their earnings. And I found owning a car reasonably cheap - I had an old Volvo 850, which I bought for 600 pounds, and in those days, I'd be covered fully for 50 quid a month with that, in Manchester, insurancewise. Fuel prices are the same scary thing as everywhere else, of course. And parking can be astronomical.

One thing they never tell you about is the Birmingham Equator. It seems to me that northern England is a different world altogether in many respects - much poorer, and can be scary at times in some places. But the people in the north are more cordial than in the south, I found. Never before have I been called "Luv" at a checkout counter. When I think back on my years in Manchester, I remember mostly a strange mix of wonderfully warm people in daily interactions, witth a high likelihood of getting your car's wing mirrors kicked off at night or the livingroom window bashed in with a brick by a lively crowd of hoodies congregating for some conviviality on my garden wall, leaving enough empty beer bottles and snack food wrappers to give the wrong impression of my place. And on weekends, you have a gazillion great places to drive to nearby - it crtainly is a place of stuff to do and things to see, and I remember them all very fondly. Also, the closeness of the sea is nice. Nowhere in Britain is further than 90km from the ocean.

But my great discovery, for myself, was Wales. I think if I move back to the UK some day, and I very well might, I will try to make it Wales. Unbelievable vibes.
+
freddieryan
post 29.Jan.2012, 10:19 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (Dziree @ 30.May.2011, 11:29 AM) *
Skyjuice pretty much summed it up. But I'll add that compared to Sweden, or should I say Stockholm, finding accommodation is quite easy.Good Points* Food and drinks are ch ... (show full quote)

I would second that. The transport is really expensive especially taxis.

Freddie.Ryan
+
JulieLou40
post 29.Jan.2012, 11:04 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (kreed_uk @ 30.May.2011, 04:15 PM) *
Spot on apart from 7. The food in the UK is far better than in Sweden.I would also add:Positive- Better customer service. Customer service doesn't seem to exist here.- Mor ... (show full quote)

As a Brit, I would agree with this poster totally. The food is a hell of a lot better than previously assumed by the other poster. And the choice in the supermarkets is absolutely amazing, compared to Sweden.

Yes, crime is higher in the UK and it's dirty compared to Sweden, but it's a lot easier to talk to strangers without people thinking you're a lunatic.

But here's a thought-why doesn't the OP consider Scotland? I lived in Edinburgh for 15 years, and it kicks ass. The people are friendly, it's a beautiful city, and I bet the OP would find a job really quickly.
+

Reply to this topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: