The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Friendly English speaking folks in Gävle?

Well, because I'm moving there

NataBee
post 28.Aug.2011, 01:38 AM
Post #1

Hi thelocalers,
I have been in Sweden for a year for my study, and I really do enjoy this country in terms of many things.

Now I'm going to move to boyfriend in Gävle soon, and commute to school in Borlänge some days per week. It's quite a distance but it's better for me to live far away from school than to live far away from my partner.
Since I'm going to stay long term in Gävle, I'd really love to meet new people in Gävle as I don't want to only know my boyfriend and his family in the new town. I need a social life too you know.

Well well, let's see rolleyes.gif
I very much enjoy cooking and food in general, family values, music, movies, arts, literature, writing, humor, nature, conspiracy, astrology, cultures, languages, sightseeing, walking, pets and maybe some more. I'm agnostic so discussions about worshiping any specific religion are NOT my strength (even though I feel related to Buddhism to a certain extent)

So if there's anybody in Gävle who's interested in making friends with another international person then please feel free to drop me a line. It would be great if you speak Swedish too as I'm trying to pick up the language. If you don't then English is all you need to perfectly understand what I say biggrin.gif Age doesn't really matter and I tend to get along well with older friends as well.

So, yeah, drop me a line if you're genuinely interested, and maybe we can go grab a cup of coffee at Mocca soon (I really like this place)
Go to the top of the page
+
Musiclinum
post 30.Aug.2011, 12:18 PM
Post #2

Hello There,

my email is musiclinum@hotmail.com

feel free to contact me!

Gävle is not a pleasent place to make new friends I am afriad to say if you not grown up here (that's my opinion based on my living experience in both Halmstad & Lund)! but I guess your boyfriend will introduce you to his network smile.gif
+
Gefle383
post 30.Aug.2011, 05:34 PM
Post #3

Try The Bishops Arms on the first Friday of every month. The English speaking society meet there on first Friday of the month, seem a friendly bunch of people, I've bumped into them a couple of times, don't be shy and go up and introduce yourself to them. Thry've all been in the same situation before.
+
NataBee
post 3.Sep.2011, 12:18 PM
Post #4

Thanks Musiclinum and Gefle383
@ Musiclinum: Even though I've known my bf's friends and family, it would be nice if I could have my own contacts after a while biggrin.gif
@Gefle383: I think I've seen The Bishops Arms somewhere before... Thanks for the suggestion and I'm keeping that in mind. I'm quite the reserved type but I hope the situation would be hopeful.
+
David S
post 3.Sep.2011, 04:29 PM
Post #5

Looked up the English Speaking Society in Gävle since we're moving up that way. Found a Facebook group with info.
+
NataBee
post 4.Sep.2011, 03:09 PM
Post #6

Thanks David S. I had a quick look at the facebook site. I'm a little afraid that the group is of slightly older age group, with family and kids, wondering if it's hard for me to blend in mellow.gif
+
Antitinkerbell
post 16.Sep.2011, 08:00 AM
Post #7

Hey Natabee!

I know what you mean with the ESS. I just moved to Karlstad and im still trying to find my feet in the place, Himself has it handy as he is from Karlstad. Sure drop me a line!

Regards

S-J
+
Malibu Stacy
post 16.Sep.2011, 08:51 PM
Post #8

Hej NataBee,

I'm a Gävle local.. well, kinda - been living here 2 years now with my swedish bf (I'm from NZ). Handily, I also live about 150m away from Mocca too smile.gif

I'll send you my details in a PM.

Incidentally, after 2 years here, I had no idea there is a monthly meet-up for english speakers! I may need to infiltrate this secret society..
+
NataBee
post 16.Sep.2011, 09:30 PM
Post #9

Thanks Antitinkerbell and Malibu Stacey for dropping me a line.
Meeting up should definitely be exciting. wub.gif
+
Yumeoibito
post 23.Sep.2012, 03:53 AM
Post #10

I've been living in Gävle my whole life (that's 28 years). Can answer most things about the history of the city, if that would be of interest. I speak Swedish of course, though I'm lacking in English as I barely get the chance to speak it around here. ;/

I currently live far out in the "nowhere" which would be the area of Bomhus. A nice place when it comes to nature but not so much "life" here. Good place for a walk.
If you like to include parks with your walking, then Boloungen skogen would be a nice choice!

Even though I feel related to Buddhism to a certain extent.

I can relate to that as I lean to it a bit as well. biggrin.gif
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: