The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Swedish ministers hail EU Nobel Peace prize win

The Local
post 12.Oct.2012, 10:40 AM
Post #1

Several Swedish government ministers welcomed the news that the European Union has been awarded the 2012 Nobel Peace Prize, with foreign minister Carl Bildt claiming it was "highly deserved".

"The union and its forerunners have for over six decades contributed to the advancement of peace and reconciliation, democracy and human rights in Europe," the Norwegian Nobel Committee said in a statement.

"The division between East and West has to a large extent been brought to an end; democracy has been strengthened; many ethnically-based national conflicts have been settled."

RELATED PHOTO GALLERY: Stockholmers react to EU Nobel Peace Prize win

Click to read the full article.
Go to the top of the page
+
intrepidfox
post 12.Oct.2012, 11:06 AM
Post #2

Pathetic. A mockery to peace.
+
Great Scott
post 12.Oct.2012, 11:08 AM
Post #3

I seem to remember which counties bought about sixty years of peace to Europe and Sweden is not on that list. So Mr Bildt should not think in any way that he or Sweden has any part of that and therefore should not have any claim but to thank the countries which did. Also he should remember that it was ordinary people that bought about the peace not Politian's.
+
Nomark
post 12.Oct.2012, 12:08 PM
Post #4

Ordinary people also enthusiastically supported in many of Europe's wars.
I think it does a disservice to the likes of Konrad Adenauer to ignore politicians' achievements. Sometimes politicos deserve criticism, other times not.
Furthermore, if the goal is to acknowledge peace in Europe then the Nobel folk should have also given it to the US who helped restore prosperity (eg Marshall plan) and keep the peace (via NATO). And while they're at it, why not also give it to Russia. The threat of a communist dominated Europe certainly helped Western Europe to pull together.
+
mafketis
post 12.Oct.2012, 12:37 PM
Post #5

I thought Obama was the stupidest most embarassing choice they could make...
I was wrong.
What's next? The award goes to the Prime Minister's cat? The trolls that live under the bridge connecting Sweden and Denmark? The voices in the heads of the comitte members?
+
azimuth
post 12.Oct.2012, 12:41 PM
Post #6

Nobel should be turning over in his grave...
+
*Guest*
post 12.Oct.2012, 03:49 PM
Post #7

I presume that the Swedish Ministers hailing this award are all raving Europhiles.
A minor correction that Brussels would like you to forget.
Peace in Europe has been obtained by NATO and however they would like to rewrite the history books, that fact remains, nothing whatever to do with the Europe Union.
+
johan rebel
post 12.Oct.2012, 04:05 PM
Post #8

Uh . . . this is the same incompetent and impotent European Union that had to call in the US to sort out Bosnia and Kosovo?
Oh boy!
If Carl Bildt praised the award he should have his head examined.
+
intrepidfox
post 12.Oct.2012, 04:32 PM
Post #9

One of the only worthy winners were Betty Williams and Mairead Corrigan. Now its just political. EU getting the peace prize, a joke. Europe is at war and export weapons all over the world.. Is that peace?
+
prince T
post 12.Oct.2012, 04:39 PM
Post #10

"I warmly congratulate all of Europe and our peace to the Nobel Peace Prize to the European Union. Highly deserved and highly important," he wrote.
This man is more confused. My english is not that good but i am still smart enough to know that " our peace to the nobel prize to the european union" makes no sense or a sentence.
+
Great Scott
post 12.Oct.2012, 04:40 PM
Post #11

@Nomark
It seems you are either too naive or fail to see the achievements made by others, that it was ordinary people that suffered and sometimes gave up their lives to achieve peace. At what time did Mr Bildt do anything for peace in Europe, what right does he have to celebrate, he let others do it for him. Peace in Europe was established before the European Union as we know today even existed and yes Russia also played a major part as millions of Russians gave their lives. I think it's about time you realised who gave their times for your peace today. What maintained the peace for the last sixty years were the British and American forces stationed in Germany. Kosovo broke the peace in Europe where once again ordinary people from NATO and Russia had to go and do the dirty work.
+
fredlave
post 12.Oct.2012, 05:18 PM
Post #12

A good friend of mine, now deceased, once observed:
"When you start believing your own bullish*t you're in trouble."
Nobel Committee = Insignificance
+
Nomark
post 12.Oct.2012, 05:19 PM
Post #13

Great Scott
It seems you read what you want to read into my post even to the extent of making up arguments which aren't there. Please try to avoid attacking something I didn't write. It doesn't make for a meaningful discussion.
You wrote:
"Also he should remember that it was ordinary people that bought about the peace not (sic) Politian's."
I pointed out that some politicians do indeed deserve credit, and gave an example of one, Konrad Adenauer. I also pointed out that some politicians don't deserve credit. A bit like the members of that group called "ordinary people" really.
+
peastuto
post 12.Oct.2012, 05:55 PM
Post #14

It's very interesting. The armed wing of Europe, NATO, fomented civil war in Libya and Syria, bombed Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya. This just may be a big joke!
+
Hisingen
post 12.Oct.2012, 05:57 PM
Post #15

It makes you wonder what world the Nobel committees live in.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: