The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

'I will never cut corners romantically, ever'

The Local
post 4.Mar.2013, 05:45 PM
Post #1

In the first of a five-part series of love and dating columns, Edinburgh native and single girl Emilia Millicent tells us about the conundrums of finding a suitable boy in Sweden.

Something struck me this week when the English National Ballet went down the route of so many others these past few soggy winter days. Twirling in a different direction entirely - like a Södertälje cop or a Borås firefighter - yes, of course, we're talking about that frenzy of silliness known as the Harlem Shake.

What struck me was not how undignified it was of professional ballerinas to join in the globalized collective (globective?) fun, but how their participation proved to me that everyone seems to be yearning for a bit of silliness lately.

Click to read the full article.
Go to the top of the page
+
StockholmSam
post 4.Mar.2013, 08:01 PM
Post #2

Finally it appears as though The Local has found a contributor who can actually write an entertaining article with skill, finesse and emotion. About damn time.
+
peterrkj
post 4.Mar.2013, 09:04 PM
Post #3

Ha ha fun and silliness in Sweden don't make me laugh that's illegal here I'm sure. I haven't seen a more miserable bunch in my life well except when you see old documentaries of soviet Russia and China when they still all had to wear grey pajamas. There nice and polite people most of them but they don't do fun or take criticism all this is different of course if they've had a bit of the sauce or if you met then abroad then there bundles of fun.
+
Svensksmith
post 5.Mar.2013, 12:52 AM
Post #4

I'd date you, Emilia except for the fact that my wife would cut something and it wouldn't be a corner.
+
Reason and Realism
post 5.Mar.2013, 07:50 AM
Post #5

One scientific study has indicated that the greatest predictor of success in a long term relationship between A and B, is simply that if A is in a room, and B walks in, then A's blood pressure drops, because he/she relaxes and warmly thinks 'oh good, B is here'.
The ability to be silly is one ingredient in a relaxed environment. This is also why so many people are looking for others who have a sense of humour. What they are really looking for is someone around whom they feel relaxed enough to joke around and express their humour.
Recognize these qualities when you find them, and have the wisdom to hold on to them.
+
Chloe Monroe
post 5.Mar.2013, 09:09 AM
Post #6

I'd like The Local to release the figures for how many emails they've received asking them to pass on contact details to Emilea...c'mon The Local, it is just a number, dare ya!
+
RobinHood
post 5.Mar.2013, 10:52 AM
Post #7

"Sub-prime mortgages, Islamists in Timbuktu, 'Golden Dawn' in the Greek parliament, radiation in Japan, horsemeat in our lasagnas, the fact that you can't find a good Dirty Martini in Stockholm for love or money... it's frankly been a bit of a slog lately."
At least nobody has pooped in the chocolate cake.
+
oddsock
post 5.Mar.2013, 04:28 PM
Post #8

Can somebody send me the cliff notes for this article?
+
HenryPollard
post 6.Mar.2013, 12:57 PM
Post #9

The desire to pass on one's genes is "not only revoltingly narcissistic, it's incorrect. "?
I hate to break it to you, but the behaviours induced by brooding that you disparage in this article are as prevalent, if not more so, in women as they are in men.
+
Emilia Millicent
post 6.Mar.2013, 01:44 PM
Post #10

@HenryPollard You misunderstand me. It's the men I date assuming I am interested in them that I find revoltingly narcissistic and ageist. I have few opinions on reproduction. People can do what they like. Just don't assume I want the same thing.
+
AfroSwede
post 6.Mar.2013, 02:34 PM
Post #11

@Emilia, try and date a non Swede
+
skogsbo
post 7.Mar.2013, 08:53 AM
Post #12

good that you're not presuming anything, I know a lot of people male and female, who openly have no intention to start a family, but it could be all bluff and cover? is yours? I bet many single woman in their 30s say they aren't bothered about a family, simply because they are single, give it 2 years in a steady relationship and those chemicals will start stirring your hormones and hey prestor - mini millicents running Stockholm play grounds.
Either you are just creating this story and it doesn't reflect the real you, or the real you is a little paranoid and any sensible guy might run a mile. You could well be giving off the wrong vibe.
+
Nomark
post 7.Mar.2013, 12:33 PM
Post #13

@Emilia
You wrote to another poster:
"Just don't assume I want the same thing."
As mentioned earlier, its highly possible that you don't know what you want in certain areas. Most of us don't, however much we protest. The heart, head, and body quite often give conflicting signals and we often just pick one of them when we "make up our mind" on something.
Thanks for the article. Its of an unusually high standard for the Local.
+
*Guest*
post 8.Mar.2013, 10:09 AM
Post #14

Hello Emilia!
You are majority of those girls who keep being finicky and fastidious in having a steady and good relationship. Always waiting for the likes of Tiger wood, Brad Pit, Ben Affleck and host of other celebrities in sport, movies and business world. You choose or reject men like the way you shop for clothes in H&M or trying to select a dress for the day in your wardrobe. It's like of you that whites and developed world are recording low birth rate and ageing population. Even the whites becoming a minority in some places.
I know your type the next destination now is to come to South East Asia looking for a young man to marry in your 5Os after you might have retired.
The gays are having happy relationship and loving well, while the straight are so confused. Likes of you are the ones making marriage look like an abnormal institution. We have so many likes of you parading the world, only being more narcissist and promoting some stupid gender equality. Please do not be stingy, life is short as you have being brought into this world, create somebody also. Thanks
+
Emilia Millicent
post 8.Mar.2013, 02:16 PM
Post #15

@skogsbo I never said that I don't want a husband a family, I said I think it's weird that people assume you'll shack up with just anyone just because you're 30+. But I feel very content with not being one of those women who literally feel they haven't fulfilled their "biological destiny" if they don't settle down.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: