The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
This discussion forum closed permanently on 25th February 2021.
  Reply to this topic

Chances for employment

Employment for 45 and above

Selin
post 4.Jun.2020, 01:22 PM
Post #1

Hi,
A question: I am almost 50, have been living in Sweden for many years, always worked for big international companies outside of Sweden, have many-year experience in finance, administration. For FIVE years I have been applying for local jobs in Sweden, Sk?ne, the jobs where requirements 100% matched my profile, the jobs much lower my level or matching my level, or in some cases maybe a bit higher level positions (hard to judge sometimes just by job titles), the jobs requiring experience in large international companies, etc. For all FIVE years there has not been one single short listing, one single interview invitation, only rejection letters coming just few days after the application. On my requests to explain reason for rejection - other candidates profiles matched better.. I would like to know if anyone else has been experiencing this phenomena...Do you think it is to do with age, country of origin, race...etc?
Go to the top of the page
+
nativeswedishengineer
post 4.Jun.2020, 02:03 PM
Post #2

QUOTE (Selin @ 4.Jun.2020, 02:22 PM) *
Hi,A question: I am almost 50, have been living in Sweden for many years, always worked for big international companies outside of Sweden, have many-year experience in finance ... (show full quote)

It has to do with the fact that recruitment has been mostly outsourced to recruiting companies where the people doing the selection are deemed CEO level if they can tie their own shoes.
+
Grommet
post 4.Jun.2020, 03:18 PM
Post #3

I think your suspicions could be correct. I have read even Swedes can have problems finding work at this age.

Also, I do not know your race but I know many in Sweden who are born there but who are not "ethnic" Swedes. They are treated differently by society at large, or, at least, I have heard about discrimination too many times to doubt. Most Swedes on the outset believe in equality, but they don't actually know what it is and because no one is really watching, they can get away with quite a bit of nasty business.

There has in the past been studies where an applicant struggling in the same way you describe, changed the name on the application to "Sven Svennersson" (i.e. something less foreign sounding) and started getting hits, with the exact same CV and cover letter, by the exact same companies that had just rejected those very documents under the original name.

Sounds like it could be time for a change for you.
+
Selin
post 4.Jun.2020, 04:35 PM
Post #4

true, most of the selection is done thru local recruitment companies. In my case both, the employers and recruiters keep rejecting automatically. The interesting fact is that the outsourced recruitment companies based in the UK for instance, and hired to do recruitment in Sweden find my candidature suiting for many positions and accordingly they try to offer it to the employers but it does not work either, the Swedish employers keep reject it...

I have to think of the suggestion here to change the name smile.gif especially given the fact that I would have to only change my first name, as my last name is Swedish after marriage smile.gif
+
Marmi
post 6.Jun.2020, 01:02 AM
Post #5

Companies in Sweden don't want to employ ancient people, and as 50 you have already been ancient for about 10 years. Sad but true, Swedes are extremely anti "old" people.
+
gsurya
post 8.Jun.2020, 11:55 AM
Post #6

As a non-EU expat, I got a job in Sweden at 49. But yes, it is hard to get jobs post 50 in any market, unless you have some special skill, expertise or experience.

It is the larger companies who are more rigid and do age discrimination, than the smaller, leaner ones or startups.

+
DavidSmitis
post 10.Oct.2020, 09:05 PM
Post #7

Haven't you tried to write a job search application to the employment center? Maybe they will find you a job in a good company. In Sweden, it is very difficult to find a job at this age.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 10.Oct.2020, 09:35 PM
Post #8

Age discrimination is a known fact EVERYWHERE...In the USA the laws covering age discrimination begin at age 40!!!
+
DavidSmitis
post 12.Oct.2020, 06:32 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (DavidSmitis @ 10.Oct.2020, 10:05 PM) *
Haven't you tried to write a job search application to the employment center? Maybe they will find you a job in a good company. In Sweden, it is very difficult to find a job at this age.

The issue of age discrimination is a very important issue that needs to be addressed at the state level.
+
sourcandy4
post 16.Oct.2020, 08:32 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (DavidSmitis @ 12.Oct.2020, 07:32 AM) *
The issue of age discrimination is a very important issue that needs to be addressed at the state level.

Yes, but who cares about foreigners? We are expected to mop floors, collect orders in warehouses and perform similar duties for a minimum wage. Also, avoid asking for more rights because.. [see the first sentence].
+
Mrs Robinsson
post 20.Oct.2020, 02:55 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (sourcandy4 @ 16.Oct.2020, 08:32 PM) *
Yes, but who cares about foreigners? We are expected to mop floors, collect orders in warehouses and perform similar duties for a minimum wage. Also, avoid asking for more rig ... (show full quote)

The only option for older and non-Swede is to be an entrepreneur and/or start your own company.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: