The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Certified Translator in Sweden

How to? What to? And so on.

The_Humdinger
post 11.Mar.2017, 06:58 PM
Post #1

Hello all,

I am looking into becoming a certified translator in Sweden. What I am a bit puzzled by is the system of certified translator appointments in Sweden.

I understand from Kammerkollegiet - which als holds the register of certified translators - that a translator exam has to be taken. I understand what that exam entails and how to apply, BUT all the rest is still a mystery to me. Does anybody here have any experience / knowledge wrt how that works?

- Do you have to have a degree in translating/interpreting in Sweden to become a certified translator/interpreter? (I am only interested in translation myself though.)
- What degrees are accepted? Do they have to be issued by a Swedish school?
- What other requirements are there? Do you have to permanently reside in Sweden for instance?
- Do I understand correctly that anybody who can pass the three parts of the translator exam at Kammarkollegiet can become a certified translator?
- If you do not pass all three parts of this exam, are there chances to retake the exam?
- What languages does Kammarkollegiet actually appoint translators in? Is Swedish a prerequisite? Or can you translate from and to any language(s)? That seems highly improbable but if you translate into English, I assume it should be possible - am I right/wrong?
- If you do pass the exam, you just get a stamp? No enrollments at courts and so on in Sweden?

Best!
The_Humdinger
Go to the top of the page
+
Essingeviken
post 12.Mar.2017, 04:55 PM
Post #2

- Do you have to have a degree in translating/interpreting in Sweden to become a certified translator/interpreter? (I am only interested in translation myself though.)

NO.

- What degrees are accepted? Do they have to be issued by a Swedish school?

NOT RELEVANT.

- What other requirements are there? Do you have to permanently reside in Sweden for instance?

NO. But you have to attend the exam, which only takes place in Sweden.

- Do I understand correctly that anybody who can pass the three parts of the translator exam at Kammarkollegiet can become a certified translator?

You understand correctly. That's all there is to it. Sounds easy? It isn't.

- If you do not pass all three parts of this exam, are there chances to retake the exam?

You can take it as many times as you want. You have to take all three parts again though and it only takes place once a year.

- What languages does Kammarkollegiet actually appoint translators in? Is Swedish a prerequisite? Or can you translate from and to any language(s)?

Well you are always translating either TO Swedish or FROM it, so I would say that understanding Swedish is fundamental.
That seems highly improbable but if you translate into English, I assume it should be possible - am I right/wrong?

- If you do pass the exam, you just get a stamp? No enrollments at courts and so on in Sweden?

You get a stamp and then it has to be renewed every 5 years or so for the payment of a fee.
Go to the top of the page
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: