The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

Where is my Sweden I want it back

Alicia-Stella
post 16.Sep.2008, 12:57 AM
Post #1

Only Swedes who are born in the 60s and 70s can really understand what I am saying. I do not recognise my Sweden and especially my city Stockholm as its getting dirty and polluted, some people are not respecting us with our traditions and culture nor our nature or nice little beaches...where is all this To find it back I need to go far north lear lapland...its a nightmare

If you are not Swedish you cannot really understand the deep meaning of my saying so you send your craps but its useless.

Any idea on how to get back Sweden
Go to the top of the page
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 16.Sep.2008, 01:03 AM
Post #2

Deport phonies like you. :evil:
+
Shark99 - The Great Catsb...
post 16.Sep.2008, 01:09 AM
Post #3

I was born in the 70's but your problem is that you live in Stockholm. 08:or!!!
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 16.Sep.2008, 01:41 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock)
Deport phonies like you. :evil:

So true, so true...
+
Bender B Rodriquez
post 16.Sep.2008, 01:43 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (Shark99 Reparador De Asfalto)
I was born in the 70's but your problem is that you live in Stockholm. 08:or!!!

Our little Bollywood troll was not even born in the 70s but in the 80s according to her previous posts...
+
post 16.Sep.2008, 07:07 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (Bender B Rodriquez)
Our little Bollywood troll was not even born in the 70s but in the 80s according to her previous posts...

this is just troll and not the bollywood version.
+
shpongle
post 16.Sep.2008, 08:21 AM
Post #7

In free world traditions are more like water than stone. Constant tradtitions is a sign of opression in my mind. And besides I think Stockholm was much dirtier for most of existance than it is now. And i believe the people has changed their tradition quite alot through the years.

However I can see that there many problems in our society . Nothing that a little military service from first school day can fix though wink.gif
+
Nomark
post 16.Sep.2008, 08:48 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (Alicia-Stella)
Only Swedes who are born in the 60s and 70s can really understand what I am saying. I do not recognise my Sweden and especially my city Stockholm as its getting dirty and polluted, some people are not respecting us with our traditions and culture nor our nature or nice little beaches...where is all this To find it back I need to go far north lear lapland...its a nightmare

If you are not Swedish you cannot really understand the deep meaning of my saying so you send your craps but its useless.

Dear whoever you are and whatever your motives,
I'm afraid you're not unique - many people over the world look back to the past as a golden age and want to recover it. Even those who lived under ghastly regimes tend to remember the positive aspects of their earlier lives.

In reality you're probably expressing a yearning for your youth and lamenting a life which didn't quite go according to plan.

You write that most of us can't understand your post. I'm afraid this is just nonsense.
+
Puffin
post 16.Sep.2008, 08:54 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (Alicia-Stella)

For the first - I thought that you lived in London - according to your other thread at least :wink:

For the second I don't think that you can stand still in time and expect that a country will be exactly the same after 40 years - some change will be good and some will be bad.

Thirdly moaning about "your Sweden" on a site for immigrants - when we are the ones here paxing the taxes is perhaps not the best strategy 8)
+
Craptastical
post 16.Sep.2008, 09:03 AM
Post #10

Hmm, I'm not a Swede and I've noticed changes from when I was a student here during the 1990-91 school year and then my return in 2007.

The difference isn't necessarily the immigrants (there were a lot of Iranian refugees when I was a student), IMHO it's the homeless, alcoholics, drug addicts, and the just batshit insane individuals roaming the streets.

During my time here in the early 90s, I don't recall ever seeing homeless people around Stockholm, and I never felt the need to watch my back while out at night. Perhaps it was just that I was blind to what was there, but compared with today it does seem that the city has gained more than its fair share of the individuals mentioned above.

Oh, off topic, but has anyone read the "Hemlöss, med egnet ord" book that's been advertised on the t-bana? Is it any good?
+
bonjour
post 16.Sep.2008, 10:20 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (Alicia-Stella)

You said in another post that you work in London and miss Stockholm. So please make your mind up.
+
Swedeofile
post 16.Sep.2008, 11:05 AM
Post #12

Alicia-Stella
I was born 1959 just on the north edge of Stockholm and I understand what you are saying. Stockholm has changed a lot. But not all of the changes are bad. If you recall in the late 70's there was not much night life if you were under 21, and what was had huge queues. The 80's was different and only in the ques got longer and the range of clubs etc was still very limited.
You must remember we all remember the good old days and forget what was not so good or has now improved a lot for instance the variety of restaurants is now 100 times better.

The negatives are there now for certain but that is the result I believe anyway of the poor 70's and 80's policies of sweeping it all under the carpet. And now it is out in the open. Personally I think it was inevitable.

I have so many friends who worked out of the country for a numer of years came back on holiday in the summer thought it would be great to live again in Stockholm, sold up from the US Australia, UK, Spain etc and moved back. Within 4 month wished they hadn't and either moved back with quite a financial loss after the reality set in. Some were unable to do so and think regretfully about it ever since.
If this is you THINK ABOUT IT! Try a months stay and see if it still shins for you. The heart strings are the result of what your head will tell you. If you are in London you may be building up the negatives more then you should(easy to do in London as it is a very dirty place).

We always maintain our apartment in Karlaplan so we have an anchor and send 3 month here and 3 in New York its a great balance. Of course my wife and I are in our late 40s so what we enjoy is no doubt different from you as I assume you are younger.

My point is don't make Stockholm better in your head then you would find it living here 100% of the time. Only to make a decision you regret later, or at least make sure you don't drive onto a dead-end street. It takes litte effort to find out what you really want.
+
kaze
post 16.Sep.2008, 11:17 AM
Post #13

You always look back with rose tinted specs.
Lots of eastern europeans often think it was better when they were under state scrutiny and lining up for toilet paper...
+
Swedeofile
post 16.Sep.2008, 11:42 AM
Post #14

Exactly!!! So to idea is take time to gain a sense of reality and perspective! That saves doing something one may regret! I found a great saying in a book "Sin in haste repent at leisure"! Very true!
+
skane refugee
post 16.Sep.2008, 11:55 AM
Post #15

[quote="Craptastical"]Hmm, I'm not a Swede and I've noticed changes from when I was a student here during the 1990-91 school year and then my return in 2007.

The difference isn't necessarily the immigrants (there were a lot of Iranian refugees when I was a student), IMHO it's the homeless, alcoholics, drug addicts, and the just batshit insane individuals roaming the streets.

During my time here in the early 90s, I don't recall ever seeing homeless people around Stockholm, and I never felt the need to watch my back while out at night. Perhaps it was just that I was blind to what was there, but compared with today it does seem that the city has gained more than its fair share of the individuals mentioned above.
quote]

The biggest event in Swedens post-war economic history occurred just after you were here in 90/91.

Sweden suffered a catastrophic banking collapse, forced devaluation and near economic wipe-out.

The Swedish economy and currency have now stabilised at a lower relative level, but very large numbers of wealthy Swedes have withdrawn their capital and income offshore (many to London) taking it out of the Swedish tax base (perhaps for good), and Swedish corporates have been very effective at dodging the tax bullets mainly through threats of withdrawal from Sweden (for example the Wallenberg family moving Investor ABs HQ from Stockholm to London in the 90's was a deafening warning shot across the bows of the Swedish government! ;o) )).

... therefore given that poor people can't pay any more tax ;o), corporates won't, and many of the rich have gone (returning just for the summer), the good old middle classes (rich enough to pay more, but too poor to move out or dodge the tax bullets) have had the purchasing power of their after tax incomes squeezed mercilessly relative to their counterparts in other developed countries.

Successive Swedish governments (now with a large national debt to service) have also signally failed to reconcile the Swedish publics pre-1992 expectations for public services delivery with the new harsh fiscal reality (not enough tax money coming in), and have resorted to pretending in public that things are just as they were whilst simultaneously dismantling the welfare state by stealth.

Government agencies still put just as much effort as they ever did (perhaps more!) into the national obsession of 'gaming' Sweden up dubious and flawed international league tables on health, education, quality of life etc ... but it's obvious to you and all who've been coming here regularly for 20 years or more that the country is a shadow of its former self.
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: