The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Alternative to The Local

Suggestions welcome

Gamla Hälsingebock
post 16.Jun.2014, 11:22 PM
Post #16

And sing Kum Ba Yah...??? cool.gif
Go to the top of the page
+
Svensksmith
post 17.Jun.2014, 12:38 AM
Post #17

Is that a Maypole or are you just happy to see me?
+
axiom
post 17.Jun.2014, 08:31 AM
Post #18

I just find that many people on here just don't like to hear reality.

Often times questions are asked or things suggested with the intent being "if you can't agree with me or tell me what I would like to hear then don't bother". Sometimes it is even stated in the question! That is a very wrong attitude.

Sometimes the truth, the hard truth is harsh, and bitter and vile, thats how it is. It is better to be armed with factual advice even if it is not what you want to hear and work with it, it makes for a better outcome in the end. I personally, have no room for playing ignorantly nice in the face of facts because no one wins in the end, simply put.

The problems faced by "younger" immigrants I think are no different from the "older" ones, it is mostly our attitude of wanting everything now, today, no intention to wait.

Then of course there are those that think they are somehow above other migrants, that they have a reason to be treated differently, maybe because they got a job at, who knows, Ericsson or Volvo and pays a little extra tax. No we are all the same, the sooner we accept this and the harsh realities of migrating the easier the advice here will be to follow.
+
passport-stamps
post 17.Jun.2014, 09:43 AM
Post #19

QUOTE (cherrybubble @ 16.Jun.2014, 06:11 PM) *
You're quite welcome for the help, Passport-stamps. But you're quite right, I am taking this a little personally BECAUSE I helped you. I sound disappointed, don't ... (show full quote)

Oh brother, this has taken an unexpected turn. Look Cherrybubble, I don't mean to devalue the advice you gave me on education in Sweden, but you didn't exactly save my life from a car crash or something. You're acting like you liberated me from some great struggle and I owe you my entire life. This is getting too weird and awkward. Why are you so personally invested? Why are you so offended that someone is simply inquiring about other blogs and forums out there? What's the crime in trying to find interactive forums without the misogyny, race-baiting and political claptrap?What's really going on? This is starting to creep me out. Look, FOR THE MILLION TIME, I APPRECIATE THE ADVICE YOU GAVE ME ON STUDIES IN SWEDEN. And this talk about attitude adjustment like you know me in real life. What? It's just the internet love, it's not that serious.
+
David S
post 17.Jun.2014, 11:29 AM
Post #20

I'll be a launching a new site soon, ExpatLink which will be more of a community site. We're working on integrating it with the facebook/linkedin groups etc.
+
passport-stamps
post 17.Jun.2014, 12:03 PM
Post #21

QUOTE (David S @ 17.Jun.2014, 11:29 AM) *
I'll be a launching a new site soon, ExpatLink which will be more of a community site. We're working on integrating it with the facebook/linkedin groups etc.

Sounds marvelous. Keep us posted on the progress of the website launch.
+
cherrybubble
post 17.Jun.2014, 01:08 PM
Post #22

QUOTE (passport-stamps @ 17.Jun.2014, 09:43 AM) *
an unexpected turn.

Hardly unexpected.

You were rude to other forum posters and then got smacked down for it on another thread, you got your knickers in a twist and threw a little hissy-bitch fit. OMG, YOU GUYS ARE SOOOO AWFUL AND NEGATIVE, I'M LEAVING!!! GIVE ME ATTENTION!! I'M SO UPSET WITH THIS FORUM THAT I AM GOING TO ASK ABOUT OTHER FORUMS SO EVERYONE KNOWS I'M REALLY LEAVING...Isn't this exactly the turn you expected? Ever heard of google? If you primarily wanted to find a different forum you would have looked for it there. Or did you not learn how to google across your three different continents and four different degrees?

So I'm calling you out on your bullshit.

You don't seem to be very used to getting called on your bullshit. But guess what. No one cares about your angsty 13-year old feelings on an anonymous forum.

Grow up or GTFO.
+
passport-stamps
post 17.Jun.2014, 01:24 PM
Post #23

QUOTE (cherrybubble @ 17.Jun.2014, 01:08 PM) *
Hardly unexpected. You were rude to other forum posters and then got smacked down for it on another thread, you got your knickers in a twist and threw a little hissy-bitch fit ... (show full quote)

You seem very angry, lashing out in such a high-tempered fashion like a jilted lover. I hope you are not projecting issues from your personal life -- not healthy. Yikes! I wish you all the luck in the world.

Word of advice: don't get too emotionally attached to voices on the internet. Never ends well.
+
intrepidfox
post 17.Jun.2014, 03:29 PM
Post #24

QUOTE (cherrybubble @ 17.Jun.2014, 12:08 PM) *
Hardly unexpected. You were rude to other forum posters and then got smacked down for it on another thread, you got your knickers in a twist and threw a little hissy-bitch fit ... (show full quote)

Well said Cherry. You told me off once and was correct. Unfortunately you get wind up merchants on here like Hamsterdam and Ivor that do everything in their power to pee one off and ruin posts
+
cherrybubble
post 17.Jun.2014, 05:48 PM
Post #25

QUOTE (intrepidfox @ 17.Jun.2014, 03:29 PM) *
Well said Cherry. You told me off once and was correct. Unfortunately you get wind up merchants on here like Hamsterdam and Ivor that do everything in their power to pee one off and ruin posts

Thank you intrepidfox, I appreciate it!
smile.gif
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 17.Jun.2014, 07:17 PM
Post #26

The amity around here lately is going to give this place a bad name!!!
+
Svensksmith
post 17.Jun.2014, 11:12 PM
Post #27

I've thought about what passport has said here, and I agree that there can be some posters who are a bit crotchety from time to time. In fact, some can be downright rude. I chalk it up to keyboard courage: saying things online that you wouldn't dare say face to face. We are all guilty of it once in awhile I guess. Hey, that's the internet for you...a great big anonymous free for all. Actually in this overly PC world, I find it rather refreshing to be able to actually state your opinion w/o worrying if it will come back at you.

So, passport, stay and fight or go on to another corner of the universe...your prerogative. Me, I'm gonna stick around and see what happens next.
+
Opalnera
post 18.Jun.2014, 01:17 AM
Post #28

I think the fact that the OP is still here and still arguing just proves cherrybubble's point.

I've read a lot of cherrybubble's posts which have been helpful and relevant advice and usually kind and positive. Whereas the OP has been rude to many people on these forums. My previous advice still stands, sounds like it's time to go out and make friends rather than picking fights with people you don't know to what end? You're a student, you'll likely only be here for a few years and be in your way. Enjoy your time in Sweden and make some wonderful memories.
+
post 18.Jun.2014, 08:53 AM
Post #29

QUOTE (Svensksmith @ 18.Jun.2014, 12:12 AM) *
I've thought about what passport has said here, and I agree that there can be some posters who are a bit crotchety from time to time.

ah, encouraging to see that some things never change. though there was a day when posters could throw down with substance (kinda like what cherrybubble was doing).

as for alternatives. i did hear that internations was pretty good (no personal knowledge). funny muddle of too much and too little information out there.
+
*Catran*
post 26.Jun.2014, 12:01 PM
Post #30

To be fair, as I've browsed through other different topics on this site, I have frequently noticed very hostile posters (or trollers) on here. And it's usually with just a simple question asked. Lots of cursing, negativity, or snide comments which I find unproductive and unnecessary.

I hate to say that it's not a surprise as this happens with different cultural backgrounds placed together in one forum. What one person said is thought to be rude, while the other person is taken aback at how sensitive the other must be. It comes down to being behind a computer-all sensitivity, politeness, and understanding can easily go out the door. You don't get personal interactions you normally would receive as in person. But still... It's unfortunate, as I believe this place would be a great tool to embrace and learn about cultural differences, but that's what the lovely blog posts on here are for.

In my career I've worked with different cultural backgrounds and one thing I've kept in mind is, the person probably feels out of place, doesn't have a large community of family or friends around, and is trying the best they can to absorb the mass amounts of information given to them. So, a lot of times, they'll ask the same questions several times until it sinks in, in order to get different perspectives and make sure they're equipped with all the info to help them feel more at ease or until they've got their bearings.

Luckily there are a few kind posters out there who seem to want to help and the Swedes (in real life) are usually kind people. Understandingly so, I also can see the frustration when someone is given advice, but yet does not take it. Fighting frustration with frustration is usually an endless conversation that somehow trails off into personal jabs and such, which I find ridiculous and unproductive. With all that said, I'd stick to the blogs, people are really articulate and to the point, and I recommend meeting people on Internations.org. Really cool people who are open and willing to help you out. Plus they post fun events you can check out! Hope that helps. smile.gif
+

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: