The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >   Reply to this topic

Amazon in Sweden

Bringing jobs and better prices to the country.

Rating 3 V

Mib
post 20.Sep.2018, 03:22 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 20.Sep.2018, 10:12 AM) *
The days of Amazon being shop front for other shops are long gone. Such is their scale they buy in bulk from the manufacturers, employ thousand on low in huge warehouses etc. ... (show full quote)

I would say, it's growing. It's become a storefront to many small businesses, like Ebay. Even Marks & Spencers have some of their products on there and their former digital director has suggested they use them more. It's like Amazon's Web Services. They've optimised it to the point that it doesn't make financial sense for some companies to create their own equivalent system. The same seems to be happening now with the Amazon store being used as a storefront for many retailers. It makes financial sense with all of the infrastructure, delivery services etc already in the backend. Therefore, cheaper to set up and launch.
Go to the top of the page
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 20.Sep.2018, 03:43 PM
Post #17

FYI...

Amazon was once a start-up too!!!

It was years before it turned a profit!!!

And due to its success and the fact that its low prices are a boon to consumers, it is now looked on as a pariah and job/opportunity killer...

So much for the economic dream of working hard and being successful!!!

Communism rules!!! rolleyes.gif
+
Saywhatwhat
post 20.Sep.2018, 05:48 PM
Post #18

My question is... When will amazon have their own news network? Or Netflix? Who will be first?
+
Bsmith
post 21.Sep.2018, 10:30 AM
Post #19

If Amazon determines that there is profit to be made in Sweden, it will come. There will be both positive and negative effects. End of story.
+
Svedallas
post 21.Sep.2018, 04:40 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (Bsmith @ 21.Sep.2018, 11:30 AM) *
If Amazon determines that there is profit to be made in Sweden, it will come. There will be both positive and negative effects. End of story.

But that is also what Dunkin Donuts said.
They shut down a few months ago.

Their timing is off. People already have their favorite e-commerce stores.
I definitely will not be using them. There is nothing that they are offering that I cannot already get.
+
Savage
post 21.Sep.2018, 05:13 PM
Post #21

I don't think you can compare a donut store, to a giant eCommerce site.
+
Svedallas
post 21.Sep.2018, 05:40 PM
Post #22

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 20.Sep.2018, 06:48 PM) *
My question is... When will amazon have their own news network? Or Netflix? Who will be first?

They already do.

But online tv market is too saturated. There is SVT, Dplay, hbo nordic, viafree...and a bunch of new ones that came out. No one is willing to pay more than netflix.

Waste of time watching amazon network, whatever its called.
+
Saywhatwhat
post 21.Sep.2018, 09:32 PM
Post #23

QUOTE (Savage @ 21.Sep.2018, 06:13 PM) *
I don't think you can compare a donut store, to a giant eCommerce site.

Sure you can. They are both multi billiOn dolllar companies who are very successful in markets outside of Sweden.

Whoever compared them made perfect sense. However successful a company is doesn’t matter when they go to fill a demand that isn’t there.

I don’t know how badly people want amazon in Sweden. They’ve been fine without it.

I’m sure amazon is business savvy enough to figure out what is best for amazon.

QUOTE (Svedallas @ 21.Sep.2018, 06:40 PM) *
They already do.But online tv market is too saturated. There is SVT, Dplay, hbo nordic, viafree...and a bunch of new ones that came out. No one is willing to pay more than net ... (show full quote)

I know they have a network, amazon prime, but I just wonder when they will have their own NEWS network. There are jokes of amazon taking over the world so I would find it fitting for them to add their own news network in that quest. They or Apple will have a news network within 5 years is my guess.
+
john.boy
post 21.Sep.2018, 11:21 PM
Post #24

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 21.Sep.2018, 10:32 PM) *
I don’t know how badly people want amazon in Sweden. They’ve been fine without it.

What an odd statement. You seem to think that people don't already buy from Amazon!
I have been using Amazon for years, depending upon exchange rates I use either the .de (now available in English), .co.uk, and even for certain things when the dollar was really bad .com with shipping from the USA. Always found the items I wanted cheaper than Swedish based sellers.

The coming to Sweden will be most likely the opening of a distribution center since they have quite a lot of business with the Nordics already, mainly shipping from Germany at the moment. Last study my company did showed that best place for distribution center to reach all Nordic locations within 24 hours was Jonköping, though also OK around Eskilstuna. They will just be maximising profitability by reducing logistics costs.

Wouldn't surprise me either if they want to put some of their data centers here, take advantage of the special tax rate for electricity that was extended to companies establishing data centers, not so long ago. (i.e. a sweetner for Facebook and others)
+
skogsbo
post 22.Sep.2018, 06:12 AM
Post #25

Yeah. Jönköping has become the distribution capital. There are huge areas already cleared of forest for future construction. The downside for there is it might seem great now, but most warehouses could operate people free in the very near future.
+
Saywhatwhat
post 22.Sep.2018, 07:08 AM
Post #26

QUOTE (john.boy @ 22.Sep.2018, 12:21 AM) *
What an odd statement. You seem to think that people don't already buy from Amazon!I have been using Amazon for years, depending upon exchange rates I use either the . ... (show full quote)

Not so odd considering you prove my point. Even though you use amazon you are still fine without a Swedish based one.

Items have really been cheaper once shipping to Sweden is included? I know there’s items on .uk or .de or .com that won’t even ship to Sweden.
+
Bsmith
post 22.Sep.2018, 11:16 AM
Post #27

QUOTE (Svedallas @ 21.Sep.2018, 04:40 PM) *
There is nothing that they are offering that I cannot already get.

And that is about the most effective method of voting available to us, our wallets.
+
john.boy
post 22.Sep.2018, 02:11 PM
Post #28

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 22.Sep.2018, 08:08 AM) *
Not so odd considering you prove my point. Even though you use amazon you are still fine without a Swedish based one.

Au contraire, if establishing here means they can offer even cheaper products then I for one certainly welcome the move, and encourage it.

Items have really been cheaper once shipping to Sweden is included?

There was a period when shipping to Sweden was free. I suspect they did that to build a more defined customer base, and took it away once they decided they would establish a real presence here.
I know there’s items on .uk or .de or .com that won’t even ship to Sweden.

That's the world of distribution rights and agencies. It is probably a safe bet that you have no experience around this area.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 22.Sep.2018, 02:57 PM
Post #29

Amazon is forward thinking and innovative...In the future, your favorite six pack will be delivered to your door by a drone...Just think...No more beer runs!!!

What an energy saver!!! laugh.gif
+
Saywhatwhat
post 22.Sep.2018, 02:58 PM
Post #30

QUOTE (john.boy @ 22.Sep.2018, 03:11 PM) *
Au contraire, if establishing here means they can offer even cheaper products then I for one certainly welcome the move, and encourage it.There was a period when shipping to S ... (show full quote)

Yea, you bet correctly. That’s amazing there was a point when shipping to Sweden was free! When was that and for how long did it exist?

Well, only time will tell what happens with amazOn in Sweden
+

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: