The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
  Reply to this topic

Temp lay off from work! Verbal agreement

Where do I stand if employer goes back agreement?

muir318
post 12.Jan.2012, 02:43 PM
Post #1

Hello again guys,

Ok,Here is my situation.
I have been working with a company now for around 18 months.As far as i have been told they are happy with my work and i am happy working with them.

In december my boss approached me to say i would be getting laid off temporarly from dec 19th and that i would be employed again the end of febuary or march!That was a verbal aggreement i agreed with due to him saying i would be re employed in those months.
He stated the reason being that there was no work over the winter until a large project starts in febuary/march.i was told over a year ago my contract was "fast" with a contract signed etc...

We signed a paper saying he had spoke to me etc regarding my lay off, and i now have my intyg from them and now applying for A-kassan.

I am a painter with this building firm and i have since found out the other painters are still working and i am the only one laid off from work.!!
My worry is,What if they dont re-employ me!!? i have a one year old son and new apartment to pay for among other things..

My question is ,where do i stand if they go back on this verbal agreement?? Can i take it further(I.E. court or union etc? i am not a member of any union tho)..

Its not something i would really like to do but financially i may have too!!

any advice would be great..
Thanks in advance..
Go to the top of the page
+
byke
post 12.Jan.2012, 02:47 PM
Post #2

Ask your boss straight out, if he then turns around and says you signed something that you didnt know what it was or said and appears to be different to your vocal understanding ... You then have an idea where you stand and can choose to use the time saved in a more positive manner (aka look for another job etc)
+
Puffin
post 12.Jan.2012, 11:06 PM
Post #3

Are you the most recent hire? If they have to lay people off are you "last in"?
+
John.Smith
post 13.Jan.2012, 12:36 PM
Post #4

A verbal agreement is still an agreement. If he hires a new person before offering you a position then you have a case and a union is probably the most economic means to persuing this.
Have to say though that any such agreements really need to be put in writing and/or discussed in the presence of a 3rd party... no matter how much you trust your employer!

In the meanwhile I would be looking at Plan B which is to seek alternative employment.
+
Puffin
post 13.Jan.2012, 04:24 PM
Post #5

Might be a good idea to join a union - in case you need to negotiate redundancy in a month or two
+
mångk
post 13.Jan.2012, 04:37 PM
Post #6

Did you read and understand the document regarding your lay-off/termination before signing it?

Did you keep a copy?

Does it say that you would be re-employed?

It would not be the first time that a boss has terminated a workers binding contract with the assistance of a non-binding future promise.
+
muir318
post 14.Jan.2012, 11:53 AM
Post #7

Thanks for the replies guys,
@Byke, I will wait until march and ask him straight out if he doesnt contact me by then.I am also currently looking for other work as i have a family to support etc..

@ Puffin, I was the second last guy employed with the last one being employed 1 or 2 months after me. Also couldnt a union advise me or help me even tho i am not a current member?

@Mångk, Yeah i read and understood the document fine.Although it didnt state when i would be re employed! That was the verbal agreement part we made when he said i would be re employed in feb/march.It stated when my employment would end basically.

any other advice etc would be great
+
hongkongdanchang
post 14.Jan.2012, 12:16 PM
Post #8

I wish you good luck Muir, but if you want union help then you need to pay your dues. They are not a free service.

With you work, should you contact some of your work mates to gauge how much work is available? They might be able to put in a word for you with boss. Worth a try. Staying in the shadows is not always the best idea, you need to be in the face of Swedish employers.
+

Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: