The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V   1 2 >   Reply to this topic

The Swedish University: an example to follow

and then drool over

Gjeebes
post 17.Apr.2018, 06:23 PM
Post #1

https://www.thelocal.se/20180417/swedish-un...is-case-matters

The world's only fully retarded nation is at it again. For those of you arriving for studies, you might want to pay attention here...it's more than the question of quality that arises.

Only in Sweden can a university offer an Analytical Finance programme, and be found with "insufficient quality" in "maths", with shortcomings in four out of five examination objectives"...haha, "shortcomings"...it sounds so much more pleasant than "shite".

1) "It is definitely a precedential ruling. It's now established that foreign students have rights in Sweden and that universities have to meet the requirements set by law when it comes to quality of education," said Forssberg.

Yeps, you read that correctly. It's now "established" that Swedish universities must follow laws set out to ensure "quality", or to just "ensure quality at all"...and before this was established, it was basically anyone's guess the quality levels delivered/achieved. But don't be fooled, nothing will change, since it is an open secret that the "lagom" Swedes don't do quality (by and large).

2) "It was everything from trouble communicating with teachers to a programming class where they didn't even have enough chairs," Dickinson told The Local in 2016. "It felt surreal, to the point where I questioned my own sanity."

Yes, some of us have been there already. "Swedish" ways, are baffling. That there are established rules simply isn't enough to keep them on track. Welcome to the country with no operative over-sight. It is up to a foreign student to point out, and, eventually (yes this non-sense took 5 years to sort out) see action to correct quality issues. Nice!

3) ""Their argument was that when they're providing a service to overseas students, who are obliged to pay, they're not liable for assuring quality in that service."

Loving it. The message from the Swedish Uni is basically, "we will take your money, and you will expect nothing in return". So very Swedish!

But the more funny thing is that there would also be "Swedish and EU" students in the same degree programme, side-by-side the paying "foreign" students. So, if you pay but have no guarantee of quality, what do you get if you don't pay?

This is a common theme in Sweden, especially when it comes to anything "money". Swedes will sell you a bag of dog shit if they figure they can make a buck. Normally, I have reserved that type of operation as a typically Amaricuhn thing, but it seems the Swedes are also tops when it comes to grifting you out of your cash.

This story is unsurprising and I am certain there are many, many others whom have made the mistake of going to Sweden for education.

I have lost track of how many times I have heard a Swedish Uni department has "lost the right to examine" students in their own feature major subject due to the substandard education on offer.

And this is even more amazing when considering the actual cost of running these "free-education" institutions...so much money down the drain...glad my taxes no longer go to the retard nation!
Go to the top of the page
+
Saywhatwhat
post 18.Apr.2018, 07:18 AM
Post #2

I guess it doesn’t matter to Swedes because regardless of quality they will still walk away with a degree they paid nothing for that will still be recognized as an “achievement” in sweden. And then they’ll pat each other on the backs because they also went to the same school.

In America there are at least varying qualities of dogshit to buy. And in regards to American schools that have had to refund students or have lost their accreditation, for example trump university, at least those are privately run things that are basically capitalist endeavors and not just an example of what any govt owned school in sweden could potentially be.
+
Saywhatwhat
post 18.Apr.2018, 07:20 AM
Post #3

I also like how in that same article they have a link as to why one should get a PhD in sweden.
+
Svedallas
post 18.Apr.2018, 12:04 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Gjeebes @ 17.Apr.2018, 07:23 PM) *
https://www.thelocal.se/20180417/swedish-un...is-case-mattersThe world's only fully retarded nation is at it again. For those of you arriving for studies, you might want ... (show full quote)

Many are not here actually for the education.
They just want to qualify to be able to be citizens.

I wonder why someone would want to spend that much money getting a Swedish education?
If you are not an EU citizen, where it is low cost. Why would you bother? Spending that much, it is just plain stupid.

Is she still here? Bet she is, and looking for a job...probably.
+
Tenacious185
post 18.Apr.2018, 01:28 PM
Post #5

Hi Sveddy,

Connie is a good friend of mine and I have known her for many years. One of her parents is Swedish, one is American and she had to pay for her education due to having American citizenship at the time, and not Swedish. She chose to study here because she has family here, and wanted to study abroad. Her initial plan was not to find a "way into Sweden" but to live and study here for a while, and have that experience. She worked hard to earn and save the money to do that, and American universities are more expensive than Swedish ones - even for U.S. citizens, sadly. The cost to study in the U.S. is staggering.

She has been married to a Swedish citizen for several years now, but they were partners for some time prior to that. She did not have to study here to become a citizen or get long term residence, as she had more direct ways to go about that if she wished, including family ties and a Swedish mother. (Time spent here on a study visa counts toward nothing as far as citizenship or even permanent residence goes. It's seen as a "guest visa.") She is employed, a home owner, and a very hard worker. She has no ulterior motive here, I can attest to that. She's a really solid person.

I too was educated at a Swedish University, which I paid for, and while some of my classes were better than others, there were severe deficiencies in the quality of the education. I do see her point in this case.
+
Svedallas
post 18.Apr.2018, 03:43 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Tenacious185 @ 18.Apr.2018, 02:28 PM) *
Hi Sveddy,Connie is a good friend of mine and I have known her for many years. One of her parents is Swedish, one is American and she had to pay for her education due to havin ... (show full quote)

Quality of courses is low.
So one would obviously think there are other motives to "study" in Sweden.

If one wanted to get at least quality, why not go for the UK?
Cannot see why one would expect a high standard of education here.

The fact that you only get pass or fail in most courses...
Only 3 reputable schools in Stockholm. HHS, KTH and Konstfack.
+
Saywhatwhat
post 18.Apr.2018, 04:41 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Svedallas @ 18.Apr.2018, 04:43 PM) *
Quality of courses is low.So one would obviously think there are other motives to "study" in Sweden.If one wanted to get at least quality, why not go for the UK?Cann ... (show full quote)

3 reputable universities? Or all levels? 3 reputable universities in a city is pretty good.

I share your curiosity, svedallas... why would someone choose Sweden to study?
Outside of being in sweden already, as was your case tenacious, and your friends- from your inside information. I’d imagine if someone wanted an experience in sweden, as a foreign student, they would do a shorter term study abroad trip offered through their school they are currently enrolled in. That’s pretty common. What’s also common is that people try to get into the best schools they can get into that excell in their field of interest... what would entice people to seek out a Swedish university? Is their a certain prestige that a Swedish university’s degree would carry such as oxford, MIT, Stanford, etc?

I think I might start a new thread and see who responds.
+
Gjeebes
post 18.Apr.2018, 05:39 PM
Post #8

"Cannot see why one would expect a high standard of education here."

Very true. Likely down to the "branding" at play. It would seem their riding (the HELL out of) the "Nobel" coattails of yore seems to be paying off for Meatballia quite nicely. At least, from afar. It seems once on Meatballian soil, it does not take long to see the cracks in the charade.

Window dressing, anyone?

Just thought to add this while waiting for Statler and Waldorf to weigh in with their singular views...or is Waldorf still licking his wounds for being called out for spending more than a decade on an ex-pat forum for a country he has never lived as an ex-pat in, yet for which he has the answer to all ex-pat problems.

PS: having 16 Meatballian cousins, as an Amaricuhn citizen, does not actually entitle you to claim, nor in any way serve as any kind of warranty, that you have any clue, big or small, of how fucked up Meatballia actually is.
+
Tenacious185
post 19.Apr.2018, 12:20 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (Svedallas @ 18.Apr.2018, 04:43 PM) *
Quality of courses is low.So one would obviously think there are other motives to "study" in Sweden.If one wanted to get at least quality, why not go for the UK?Cann ... (show full quote)

I'm pretty sure she did not know that the education was going to lag as many who come to study here cannot possibly know beforehand. Some courses are pass or fail, but most not. I have a degree from a Swedish University, and all courses were graded from A-E. Most of the education was fine, but some courses were not. It was a "mixed bag" as it were. Same with my American courses of study.

You can do your research on the "quality" of an education in any given place on earth, but that doesn't tell you everything. And what constitutes a "good" education may vary from person to person. Studying abroad is a thing that people from all over the world do all over the world. So far as I know, Sweden is not known in other parts of the world to have a poor education system. And it's not the same with all schools, and certainly not for all students. There's no guarantee that going to the UK or Germany, or France or anywhere else would guarantee a "better" education. And couldn't it also be said that anyone wanting to study abroad ANYWHERE might do so for any manner of reason, including the possibility that they may wish to stay there, and apply for work after if things go well. Or they might meet someone and end up getting married and staying for that reason. It could happen anywhere in the world - to anyone. Sweden is not unique in that regard. I can't imagine why anyone would have a weird motive to "study" in Sweden more than anywhere else in the world. And have to pay for it. Many European universities are tuition free even to non EU students. So Sweden would not really be an ideal place if you just wanted to "live in Europe". I think most people study abroad just to do that. Study abroad. No real ulterior motive. It's been a popular concept for as long as I have been alive.

Connie had a reasonable and understandable desire to study here, based on a number of things, mainly family ties, (including her mother) friends, and fluency of the Swedish language.

Bottom line, if you invest in an education, it should be of good quality. Can that be assured? Perhaps not. If it turns out to not be the case, then you have to address that however you see fit, whether it is to switch schools, ask for a refund, etc. Luckily she has found a university that better suits her needs and is happily living her life here. It is what it is. But many people do come here to study (I did) and many go elsewhere. For whatever reasons. It can either go good or bad. Life is a crap shoot that way. ;-)

"So one would obviously think there are other motives to "study" in Sweden."

As someone who studied in Sweden (not "studied") I can't imagine what they would be. If I wanted to fart around in Europe for fun, I'd have chosen a warmer place with free tuition, and more interesting food. wink.gif
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 19.Apr.2018, 01:40 AM
Post #10

Well said...
+
Tenacious185
post 19.Apr.2018, 05:20 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 19.Apr.2018, 02:40 AM) *
Well said...

Thank you. smile.gif Though perhaps I should have said “more spicy food”. I really love Swedish food...but I also miss five alarm fire chili! (Gotta make my own...which is fine, I suppose.)
+
Saywhatwhat
post 19.Apr.2018, 07:01 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (Tenacious185 @ 19.Apr.2018, 01:20 AM) *
I'm pretty sure she did not know that the education was going to lag as many who come to study here cannot possibly know beforehand. Some courses are pass or fail, but mos ... (show full quote)

So what drew you to study whatever you did in sweden? Was it because the school excelled in your area of study or you liked sweden and wanted to be there longer. I believe in other posts of yours you said that you visited sweden many times for work and really felt a bond with the place. Seems to me like you studied in sweden because you liked sweden, not because you were trying to get the best education possible. So why did you choose there again?

You’ve also said in other posts you are from Ca.? In state tuition would probably be comparable. Plus California has some of the best schools, most reputable schools.

Studying abroad is common in that a student will go to a different country for a couple months then back to their usual school. And those trips are more for cultural experience than anything else.

And tenacious, what kind of studying did you do? What did you expect to do with a Swedish degree in the states? Depends on what it was I guess. You have stated yourself that you didn’t like where you were from and liked sweden better. You have said in other posts you wanted to be there. What a coincidence that you go to study in sweden and then just so happen to get into a relationship and then you just so happen to move here.
+
Tenacious185
post 19.Apr.2018, 07:57 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 19.Apr.2018, 08:01 AM) *
So what drew you to study whatever you did in sweden? Was it because the school excelled in your area of study or you liked sweden and wanted to be there longer. I believe in ... (show full quote)

Hi there, :-)

Thanks for asking. I had obtained an advanced degree in the medical field in the U.S., and wanted to switch careers but remain within the same field. After working at the same position for 13 years (and having some significant savings) I looked into what options there were to study in this specialized field. There were limited options in the U.S., and anything in CA was insanely expensive, at any recognized university. (AND the studies would take a year longer.) I had also traveled extensively to 23 different countries as part of my work, and yes, overall did enjoy the cool weather, overall mindset, and beautiful nature of the Nordic countries. Not necessarily Sweden, but the whole region. I made the decision that I would study abroad, and after completing my studies, seek work either in the country I studied in, elsewhere, or perhaps back in the U.S., but I had some years to figure that out. Already having had plenty of cultural enrichment, and not being a kid straight out of high school, I made the choice based on the fact that...I could. The timing was perfect in my life to do this, and it all fell into place. Nothing wrong with one exploring a path in life, working to embark on it, and deciding it felt right once it was underway, right?

I narrowed my selections to eight different programs and Universities (not only in Sweden). The one thing in common all the programs had was that they would allow me to expand in my field in the direction I wanted to go. In the end, I had a choice of Sweden or Norway, but opted for Sweden for various reasons none of which were terribly personal, but more logistical. It turned out well, and even prior to completion of my studies I landed a job far better and more interesting than anything I would have hoped for, in my field of choice, so I decided to accept it. Yes, I had also met a partner, though that was wholly by accident! laugh.gif I don't know if it was so much of a shocking coincidence, as you put it, haha. I was a single, educated, relatively bright woman, not a total hunchback, living alone, enjoying life, and I met a man in the same boat, near my own age, and he liked me. (Poor guy!) Then, biology happened. I wasn't expecting it, (nor encouraging it...) but this guy saw something he liked and asked me out. Here we are 2.5 years later. Nature finds a way. laugh.gif

There was no way of knowing if I would actually like Sweden once I lived here long term, how my time here would progress, what my experiences would be, or if I would instead choose to move elsewhere or back to the U.S. (Which of course I still *could* do if the spirit moved me.) However once I settled into the routine of life here, started learning the language, met my partner, got a job...years had gone by and this became home. It was a gradual process that I couldn't really foresee until it unfolded. I imagine I could have been equally happy in Norway, Germany, France...it's hard to say. That's not where I ended up. You never know what will happen, and sometimes life just...happens.

What brought you here? (I'm sorry if you already said, and I missed it.)
+
Svedallas
post 19.Apr.2018, 08:28 AM
Post #14

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 18.Apr.2018, 05:41 PM) *
3 reputable universities? Or all levels? 3 reputable universities in a city is pretty good.I share your curiosity, svedallas... why would someone choose Sweden to study?Outsid ... (show full quote)

You should start a thread. I am also curious.

QUOTE (Gjeebes @ 18.Apr.2018, 06:39 PM) *
"Cannot see why one would expect a high standard of education here."Very true. Likely down to the "branding" at play. It would seem their riding (the HELL ... (show full quote)

If someone was looking for a university, wouldn't they want to know the ranking, alma mater, reputable professors, degrees etc? Especially if from abroad.

Hate to say it, but must be said - when you are not in the reputable top 3, AND to decide to come to Sweden, and that school has nothing to brag about. That persons high school grades must have been really REALLY bad.

And, to top it off. All you only get MVG, G or Fail.
Where is the competitiveness? Basically the person is just looking to say they went to "a" university.

As an employer, I would question why a person went to university here, especially if foreign or not EU. And would want to see all the persons grades, especially if it was not from a "top" Swedish school. I can understand as Swede or EU citizen, there is the benefit of paying close to no fees, so that is easy. But to go and want to pay all that tuition fees?? Why on earth?!? Just throw the money out the window...

So yes, I have every right to question intent when someone would want to study here, it is just suspicious...
+
Tenacious185
post 19.Apr.2018, 09:54 AM
Post #15

Interesting perspective. Why is it suspicious that with nearly 8 billion people on the planet these days, every adult seeking an education is not applying to the same three schools?

What is suspicious about choosing to study in Sweden vs the U.S., UK, Ethiopia, South Korea, Singapore, Australia, UAE, etc?

Is it possible that as varied as humans are - they might just choose programs/universities they are interested in, and that might look vastly different from one person to the next? Not everyone is looking for prestige or bragging rights. Some people are more interested in creative autonomy, freedom of choice, etc. If they are happy with their choice, then it's fair to say they did not throw their money away. Hell, if you wanna go that route, I'd say anyone spending an obscene amount on a sports car is throwing their money away. But if that's what they are into, then to them, it was a great purchase. To each their own. I have always performed well academically, good grades were never a problem, but I never chose any course of study I wasn't passionate about. The "prestige" of the school was not what I was after. I wanted to immerse myself in something I enjoyed, hence increasing the chances I'd do well in it. Also the course of study I pursued was a specialized field, not entirely common, and not available everywhere. It was also intended to be based on building upon on a previous degree. There were a lot of reasons, but none of them "suspicious". Unless you consider an adult woman making an informed choice to pursue a path in life that she worked hard for and funded herself, and turning it into a positive outcome some kind of shady behavior. smile.gif

Where did you go to university and why did you choose that? Are you happy with your choice? Would you do it differently if you had a chance? If we ask 100 people that same question, we'll get 100 different answers, probably.

What about this do you find bothersome, Sved? If you were to "question the intent" of every person that chooses a study path you might not have chosen for yourself, what use would that serve you? What would you want to do with that information once you'd posed the question, and received some answers?

But yes, you have the right to ask any questions you want. But please be prepared to accept that some of the answers you receive might not be as suspicious and scandalous as you'd expect. Why did I study in Sweden? In a nutshell...because I was offered the opportunity, and said "why not"? Does that make me a bad person?
+

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: