The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
2 Pages V  < 1 2   Reply to this topic

The Swedish University: an example to follow

and then drool over

Svedallas
post 19.Apr.2018, 10:20 AM
Post #16

QUOTE (Tenacious185 @ 19.Apr.2018, 10:54 AM) *
Interesting perspective. Why is it suspicious that with nearly 8 billion people on the planet these days, every adult seeking an education is not applying to the same three sc ... (show full quote)

Make you a bad person?! What has that got to do with anything?

This is about QUALITY of education, and the lack of it in Sweden, and why people who come for overseas who apply for it, and even worse, would actually pay for it.

Simple. Do not make this about you.
Go to the top of the page
+
Tenacious185
post 19.Apr.2018, 10:25 AM
Post #17

Not about me at all, really. Sorry about that, however I am one of the people who chose to come here to study, and was also asked upthread, specifically why.

I'd be happy to not make it about me, and I have no personal issue with you, but I was seeking clarification on your position. Removing individual students, myself included, from the equation - why do you think people come here to study? I get that you might have made other choices, of course, but what are you suspicious about? Do you simply feel they made a poor judgement? Or do you think it's something more sinister?
+
Svedallas
post 19.Apr.2018, 10:45 AM
Post #18

QUOTE (Tenacious185 @ 19.Apr.2018, 11:25 AM) *
Not about me at all, really. Sorry about that, however I am one of the people who chose to come here to study, and was also asked upthread, specifically why. I'd be happy ... (show full quote)

No offence taken, at all!. Just hope you also see the other point of view.
And to be frank, yes, if it is not one of the top schools, it is poor judgement solely based on the fact that it is a waste of money, and time. (As per article). Why pay for low quality? I mean 140k, for a school that doesnt even have a ranking.
Anyone would question that!

Case in point, if see through the "Life in Sweden" or as we should rightfully call it "Immigration in Sweden", a high number of people do not come here for "education" per se, it is an entry point to get a visa to stay and eventually work Europe.
And for many, or at least from my perspective, how many have seen it for years. It is an entry point...

Back in the day when there was no fees at all for EU or overseas students, there were floods of students globally, who took advantage of it. (Don't blame them). But now, when overseas have to actually pay, why would you pay for it? Is it worth it? As Jeebees said, probably fell for the branding.

But - if you didnt know, Sweden is actually one of the few countries in EU, that allows people to study AND work at the same time. In the UK it is prohibited...the fees changed it as there is a high requirement, but for the most part, many people have viewed students as those who dont really come here for the education.
I have met American students years ago, who actually did that. They came when there was no fees at all, stayed a couple of years, but most moved on to other countries...

(note, this is just a forum for discussion - do not take it personal smile.gif - good to get alternative viewpoints).
+
Tenacious185
post 19.Apr.2018, 11:46 AM
Post #19

Ah, ok - I see your point. I suppose there probably were a lot more people coming here when tuition was free, and perhaps not taking their education so seriously, and seeing it is a "ticket to live abroad and not work much".

It's totally fair to say that you wouldn't want to spend your money on a Swedish school that was sub-par to your standards...which I suppose does beg the question as to why people do? (Outside of a real personal interest in some very niche program, family ties, etc...) I would think that Germany with its milder climate, and still free tuition (I think) would be a bigger draw. Even Norway, though cold and expensive as hell...I believe still offers free university programs to international students.

I have heard a lot of people complain that they don't like it here, don't like the dark and the cold, or what they see as a stand-offish society. I have also heard a lot of folks say that people are tripping over themselves to "find a way into Sweden". Looking at the horrific crowding that gets worse every day in Stockholm - I believe it...but I really do wonder why? Poor judgement is one thing. But if it were actually an elaborate and expensive plan...what the hell could be so motivating about Sweden in particular - to go to such great lengths?

That laugh.gif might warrant its own thread!
+
Svedallas
post 19.Apr.2018, 12:29 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (Tenacious185 @ 19.Apr.2018, 12:46 PM) *
Ah, ok - I see your point. I suppose there probably were a lot more people coming here when tuition was free, and perhaps not taking their education so seriously, and seeing i ... (show full quote)

Yes, there were many who would come from wide and afar.
The fact that education was free = no one expected much. But it allowed people to have freedom to work and study without financial and visa requirements. And at least then, who would not want to go to university for free! Now, it is another story.

One would think that with all the tuition fees they are now getting from overseas students, they would pay for quality teachers? No.
The standard is still low, so it does raise a bit of a red flag when one wants to actually study here.

I would go for France or Germany, as you said...
But the remaining free universities in EU still come with their fair share of problems.
There is a huge issue with overcrowding, and ratio between lecturer and student is a joke. But at least, the quality is much better there, due to the fact that most a guaranteed a job, and they do have a ranking system, and competition with grading is fairly tough - due to limited seats.

Yes many leave Stockholm. But not due to the overcrowding, but as I have said time and time again. Sweden is not for everyone. Mainly because people don't have family or enough friends. If you do not have good friends here... I give people usually 6/7 years. I have seen people fall in love with Sweden, and then 4/5 years down the line, get depressed and leave. And many expats have relationship problems in first few years...

Eventually, the startup bubble will burst. There are too many risky businesses out there and too many companies making promises that cannot be kept in this tricky market. So it is a matter of time.

Avoid the overcrowding and get a bike, and join the bike wars, it is more exciting.

This needs its own thread!!
+
Tenacious185
post 19.Apr.2018, 01:03 PM
Post #21

Hahaha, damn - the bike wars. Those are brutal too. The ONLY real complaint I have about my job is that the commute is over an hour. Biking might not be such a safe venture, since I'm the klutziest person on earth. Currently wearing a wrist cast due to a tree-pruning related fall two-weeks ago. Biking in a crowded city would mean certain death! I'm no match for the spandex mafia.

Currently the overcrowding is my biggest peeve, but if there ever comes a day when I grow tired of being a depressive avoidant introvert, (my glorious baseline!) and my partner works my last nerve, I'll add myself to the running list of people who snapped and fled the scene or ended up at Sankt Görans sjukhus in a wrap-around nut-coat. laugh.gif
+
Svedallas
post 19.Apr.2018, 01:39 PM
Post #22

QUOTE (Tenacious185 @ 19.Apr.2018, 02:03 PM) *
Hahaha, damn - the bike wars. Those are brutal too. The ONLY real complaint I have about my job is that the commute is over an hour. Biking might not be such a safe venture, s ... (show full quote)

It is brutal. But watching introverted passive aggressiveness sometimes can be quite comical. This is the only way one does not get depressed in this country, you need to find humour in some things..

But I do feel the pain. I had a friend who almost fainted from how packed it was, and ended up missing the train for a slightly less packed one. I think they should do something about it.

But at least summer is here soon, at least some peace for a few months.
+
Tenacious185
post 19.Apr.2018, 02:06 PM
Post #23

I have had that dilemma myself with the bus/train related fainting spells. I usually leave early to have the luxury of passing over a few until there's one with even a centimeter of room on it. Yesterday I made the bus-driver let me off on a freeway off ramp (non-moving traffic jam) because I was about to snap. Standing room only and hot as balls on that death car, haha. Walked home, 45 minutes. Couldn't take the guy next to me screaming loudly in his cellphone and jabbing his elbow into my ribs every time he wanted to make a point. I convinced the driver it was for everyone's safety that he open the doors. ;-)

It didn't take me long to learn on a leisurely bike-ride one day - my first spring here - that I was way out of my league. I was just pleasantly putting along when I was suddenly engulfed in a mad, terrifying swarm of incredibly aggressive cyclists dressed in full spandex gear, teeth bared, eyes bulging, foaming at the mouth, with dark leathery tans, and scrawny, gristly bodies like Iggy Pop on his worst day. They looked like enraged strips of burnt bacon on meth, tearing down the street.

Good idea to stay out of the way of that crowd. And of course, elderly Swedish women with assistive mobility devices at the Systembolaget on Saturdays at 14:45.

Makes the spandex mafia look like a basket of kittens. laugh.gif
+
Svedallas
post 19.Apr.2018, 03:53 PM
Post #24

QUOTE (Tenacious185 @ 19.Apr.2018, 03:06 PM) *
I have had that dilemma myself with the bus/train related fainting spells. I usually leave early to have the luxury of passing over a few until there's one with even a cen ... (show full quote)

Tenacious. I think its time to start a thread.

Lets just call it. Overcrowded rolleyes.gif Surely there must be stories, and we can do with a laugh.

Do not stand in the way of elderly Swedish men, at 14:50 at systemet on a saturday or weekday 17:50. Don't do it. Signing a death warrant.
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 19.Apr.2018, 04:04 PM
Post #25

Yeah!!!

And I could post my "bumping" parody...again rolleyes.gif
+
Tenacious185
post 19.Apr.2018, 04:14 PM
Post #26

I’ll jump on this soon. I’m currently on a packed bus, in the city center. Squashed next to the 2 meter tall, 1.5 meter wide “man spread “ (because how can he not?) guy with the huge briefcase, smaller only than his sense of entitlement.

I must survive this.

It’s 18 and sunny. I’ve got two things keeping me going. My charcoal Weber, and the cold beers I know are waiting for me.

First spring day in Sweden that gets over 16 degrees is officially Friday. No matter what day of the week! cool.gif

Three things. There’s steaks.
+
Svedallas
post 19.Apr.2018, 04:43 PM
Post #27

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 19.Apr.2018, 05:04 PM) *
Yeah!!!. And I could post my "bumping" parody...again rolleyes.gif

Go for it!!!!

QUOTE (Tenacious185 @ 19.Apr.2018, 05:14 PM) *
I’ll jump on this soon. I’m currently on a packed bus, in the city center. Squashed next to the 2 meter tall, 1.5 meter wide “man spread “ (because how can he not?) gu ... (show full quote)

Haha! Wait until tomorrow. Friday AND 23 degrees?!
+
Tenacious185
post 19.Apr.2018, 06:11 PM
Post #28

Today was the warm-up! smile.gif
+
Gamla Hälsingebock
post 19.Apr.2018, 07:34 PM
Post #29

QUOTE (Gamla Hälsingebock @ 19.Apr.2018, 05:04 PM) *
Yeah!!!. And I could post my "bumping" parody...again rolleyes.gif

"Go for it!!!!"

Here it is!!!

The Hälsinge Kuriren, Norrland's most prestigious newspaper, reports the following:

It has been reported that the recent outbreak of bumping into people and not apologizing has gone worldwide!

As you know this quaint Swedish custom is now all the rage, and everybody is doing it!

People are organizing such events as "bump into a neighbor", and of course the ever popular "bump into a stranger" is so compelling that people are even traveling to other countries to participate.

This joyous custom has brought peace and unity to our world, and has, literally, turned our planet into a global village.

Little Sweden's influence is truly a blessing to us all.

On a sadder and darker note, the English, (you know how those people are!) have filed protests with the UN.

They claim that bumping and not apologizing has been an English habit for centuries and that Sweden should not get any credit or recognition for its now worldwide acceptance.

Invasion and colonization plans are being drawn up, as we speak.

More to come.
+

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: