The Local is not responsible for content posted by users.
35 Pages V  « < 31 32 33 34 35 >   Reply to this topic

My experience "trying" to move to Sweden

Please god, just end me now

skogsbo
post 28.Jan.2019, 10:40 AM
Post #481

QUOTE (SmokerT69 @ 28.Jan.2019, 09:20 AM) *
The USA is a recognised country, with its own citizenship. Not to mention they fought a war for their independence, Bermuda didnt, and we're happy to remain a part of the ... (show full quote)

It really depends on your personal status.

Rights as a British overseas territories citizen
You can:

hold a British passport
get consular assistance and protection from UK diplomatic posts
Unless you’re also a British citizen(family connections)

you’re still subject to immigration controls - you don’t have the automatic right to live or work in the UK
you aren’t considered a UK national by the European Union (EU)

https://www.gov.uk/types-of-british-nationa...itories-citizen

I presume you know this already.
Go to the top of the page
+
Saywhatwhat
post 28.Jan.2019, 07:52 PM
Post #482

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 28.Jan.2019, 10:40 AM) *
It really depends on your personal status.Rights as a British overseas territories citizenYou can:hold a British passportget consular assistance and protection from UK diploma ... (show full quote)

I presume you knew this already...

“You automatically became a British citizen on 21 May 2002 if your British overseas territories citizenship was gained by connection with a qualifying territory.
The qualifying territories are:

Anguilla
Bermuda
British Antarctic Territory
British Indian Ocean Territory
British Virgin Islands
Cayman Islands
Falkland Islands
Gibraltar
Montserrat
Pitcairn Islands
Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha
South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
Turks and Caicos Islands“

I mean, it was in the same article you posted.
+
Saywhatwhat
post 28.Jan.2019, 07:57 PM
Post #483

QUOTE (bonviveur @ 28.Jan.2019, 07:54 AM) *
once great topic getting filled with useless postings from miserable people, best would be ignore these people Smoker and ask moderator to clear your thread of irrelevant post ... (show full quote)

Once great topic? This is one of the most common posts on this forum... “I moved here and Sweden is dysfunctional.”

Irrelevant rubbish... welcome to Sweden, I mean an Internet forum.
+
SmokerT69
post 29.Jan.2019, 09:27 AM
Post #484

QUOTE (skogsbo @ 28.Jan.2019, 10:40 AM) *
It really depends on your personal status.Rights as a British overseas territories citizenYou can:hold a British passportget consular assistance and protection from UK diploma ... (show full quote)

As was posted below, we are british citizens by birth. We have the right to work and live in the UK, which would be why I have family in Manchester. We are not subjected to immigration control. The EU does recognise me as a UK national and this was even proved on my residence permit a few posts back which clearly states my nationality, Storbritannien.
+
SmokerT69
post 12.Feb.2019, 02:44 PM
Post #485

Well, I received mail from the Migrationverket today. Got a UT card which is valid until 2020. From what I understand, at least what's written on the paperwork it came with. It's completely useless and is only used when entering Sweden. It even has a notice on the paper saying "REMEMBER THIS, Your UT card is only a proof of residence and you CAN NOT use it as an ID card".

None the less, I'm guessing now that I have this card, I can go get a personnummer now? I tried asking MigrationVerket why I only got a 2 year permit. They didn't know, and eventually said it's because my wife and I haven't lived together long enough. We've been living together nonstop now for almost 3 and half years and been a couple for 8 years. This whole situation is rather strange...
+
Billy_UK
post 12.Feb.2019, 03:15 PM
Post #486

QUOTE (SmokerT69 @ 12.Feb.2019, 02:44 PM) *
Well, I received mail from the Migrationverket today. Got a UT card which is valid until 2020. From what I understand, at least what's written on the paperwork it came wit ... (show full quote)

You can get a personnummer and ID card from Skatteverket with UT.
+
Saywhatwhat
post 12.Feb.2019, 04:18 PM
Post #487

Well, I received mail from the Migrationverket today. Got a UT card which is valid until 2020. From what I understand, at least what's written on the paperwork it came wit ... (show full quote)

Yea I find it weird a state issued, secure, with a photo of you on it is not considered an ID card.

As the other person said you need to contact skatteverket now and apply for a number and then once you have the number you can apply for an identskort.

If you have been living together for the past almost 3.5 years, then when you applied you hadn’t been living together for 2 years... which is the minimum to get you more than two years.

You have a conditional card, basically. Once you reapply in 2020 you will be past the 2 years and will get permanent residency.

Their decision makes sense.

Maybe if you had applied just yourself as an EU citizen who already had work lined up, MAYBE that would have made your wait time much less. Maybe it made it harder applying as an attachment to your wife and kid who are Swedish citizens.

Missing Bermuda yet? Why not compromise with your wife’s desire to be closer to family and move to the UK since you are a citizen there.
+
SmokerT69
post 12.Feb.2019, 05:43 PM
Post #488

QUOTE (Saywhatwhat @ 12.Feb.2019, 04:18 PM) *
Yea I find it weird a state issued, secure, with a photo of you on it is not considered an ID card. As the other person said you need to contact skatteverket now and apply for ... (show full quote)

We're talking about moving back sometime in the future. As my daughter will lose her Bermudian status unless she lives there for a few years before her 21st birthday. Bermuda has very strict immigration laws, but they are no where near a mess as the Swedish immigration experience. We're thinking about Canada as well as I hold Canadian status too.
+
Gjeebes
post 12.Feb.2019, 06:05 PM
Post #489

"This whole situation is rather strange..."

Don't worry mate. Say-what-in-the-face has all the answers. It'll get ya sorted right quick, with all the knowledge you need to succeed.

Those Yanks have a knack for understanding how things work in the greater-world realm. lol!
+
Saywhatwhat
post 12.Feb.2019, 07:01 PM
Post #490

QUOTE (SmokerT69 @ 12.Feb.2019, 05:43 PM) *
We're talking about moving back sometime in the future. As my daughter will lose her Bermudian status unless she lives there for a few years before her 21st birthday. Berm ... (show full quote)

Sweden could have the strictest laws in the world and that wouldn’t excuse a 2 year wait for an eu citizen whose wife and child are Swedish citizens. Strict laws or not don’t excuse incompetence and apathy.

As I’ve said before, we’ve had our disagreements but I feel for you man. Best of luck!

QUOTE (Gjeebes @ 12.Feb.2019, 06:05 PM) *
"This whole situation is rather strange..."Don't worry mate. Say-what-in-the-face has all the answers. It'll get ya sorted right quick, with all the knowled ... (show full quote)

Creepy stalker.

I secretly love it.

As I know you love our lovers quarrels.

What are your hobbies? What is your ideal country? Why have you bounced from job to job from country to country? Nothing pleases you? How fancy.
+
bonviveur
post 13.Feb.2019, 05:48 PM
Post #491

QUOTE (SmokerT69 @ 12.Feb.2019, 05:43 PM) *
We're talking about moving back sometime in the future. As my daughter will lose her Bermudian status unless she lives there for a few years before her 21st birthday. Berm ... (show full quote)

to my knowledge migrationsverket have no right to accept application for residency from EU citizen, because you as EU citizen already have this right, all you need is paperwork done at skateverket, but all unthinkable kind off mistakes happen in bueraucratic Sweden.
I guess you and your wife should consider which environment and grow possibility will be best for your kids as a number one question, something is telling me yourself will be fine in different countrys anyway, good luck and choose wisely
+
Gjeebes
post 14.Feb.2019, 04:10 AM
Post #492

"Yea I find it weird a state issued, secure, with a photo of you on it is not considered an ID card."

Well, if you would have ever lived in the Greasy Meatball, you would know that you can't even pick up your post using your passport as ID.
+
Saywhatwhat
post 14.Feb.2019, 07:09 AM
Post #493

QUOTE (Gjeebes @ 14.Feb.2019, 04:10 AM) *
"Yea I find it weird a state issued, secure, with a photo of you on it is not considered an ID card."Well, if you would have ever lived in the Greasy Meatball, you w ... (show full quote)

Yes you can. And without a Swedish, or EU ID (I assume), the passport is the only acceptable form. When you go to the mail kiosks in the various stores, those people typically have much less of a clue than actual postal workers.

A passport is THE international form of ID
+
skogsbo
post 14.Feb.2019, 12:08 PM
Post #494

QUOTE (Gjeebes @ 14.Feb.2019, 03:10 AM) *
"Yea I find it weird a state issued, secure, with a photo of you on it is not considered an ID card."Well, if you would have ever lived in the Greasy Meatball, you w ... (show full quote)

An eu passport is top tier ID and can collect parcels etc..

What it lacks is your personal number, so it doesn't prove you are a resident of sweden in the eyes of SV and MV. Which if you are in shop wanting an account, phone contract, healthcare etc.. Then you need to differentiate yourself from just being an eu tourist.

The ops 2 year residence permit can't be used as ID because it doesn't have a personal number and on issue biometric data wasn't taken.

Yes. I know you know this already and are just trolling, because you are bored and unhappy in your present country, thinking that by running others down it will somehow make you feel happier.
+
SmokerT69
post 14.Feb.2019, 01:21 PM
Post #495

Skogsbo, it actually does have biometric data. It has a chip with my finger prints and info on it. I had to travel to Borlänge or whatever that city is called to have my finger prints, pic and so on taken.
+

35 Pages V  « < 31 32 33 34 35 >
Reply to this topic
15 User(s) are reading this topic (15 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members: